Any real advantage to booking next cruise while on a cruise?

Zeno

It's my understanding that if you book your next cruise while actually on a ship, there are some perks to be had - if so what are they? And did you find it worth it?

(We will be on a European cruise in Aug and are already thinking of a Hawaiian cruise in winter 2018)

You can purchase a certificate for a future cruise

Norwegian Cruise Line’s CruiseNext Deposit

Terms & Conditions

To redeem your CruiseNext Deposit(s) please call your Travel Professional or Norwegian Cruise Line at 1-866-234-7350. At the time of booking, please notify your Travel Professional that you wish to apply your CruiseNext Deposit to the reservation. For guests outside the US and Canada, please call your Travel Professional or the Norwegian Cruise Line phone number listed on NCL.com.

1. When you purchase a CruiseNext Deposit (CND), your shipboard account will be charged in USD and you will receive an instant shipboard credit towards your current cruise. Once the cruise has concluded, the CND will be converted into the currency on the reservation of the cruise on which the deposits were purchased (credit will go in your Norwegian Cruise Line guest record or Norwegian Cruise Line Latitudes Rewards account). Currency exchange rates are set at the time of purchase.

2. You must be 21 years of age or older to charge a CruiseNext to your shipboard account.

3. A maximum of four (4) CruiseNext Deposits may be purchased per person.

4. CruiseNext Deposits are refundable only within 30 days of purchase, in the amount paid minus the amount of the instant shipboard credit. A CruiseNext Deposit can only be applied to a new reservation and otherwise has no cash value and is not redeemable or exchangeable for cash. CruiseNext Deposits are transferable at no charge.

5. CruiseNext Deposits ($250 each) and CruiseNext Haven Deposits ($500 each) are valid for sailings of 6 days or longer. CruiseNext Lite Deposits ($100 each) are valid for Norwegian Sky sailings only.

6. Limit one (1) CruiseNext Deposit, of any denomination, may be used per stateroom. CruiseNext and CruiseNext Lite Deposits ($250 each or $100 each respectively) may be used as the full deposit for all staterooms except specialty suites and The Haven by Norwegian (staterooms requiring enhanced deposit). One (1) CruiseNext or CruiseNext Lite Deposit ($250 each or $100 each respectively) may be used as a partial deposit towards the full required deposit for specialty suites or The Haven by Norwegian. Limit (1) CruiseNext Haven Deposit ($500 each) may be used as the full deposit for all staterooms including specialty suites and The Haven by Norwegian (staterooms requiring enhanced deposit).

7. All CruiseNext Deposits are valid for new reservations made within 4 years from the date of purchase, and become null and void after expiration. Failure to redeem and sail within 4 years will result in forfeiture CruiseNext Deposit.

8. You must notify Norwegian Cruise Line or your Travel Professional that a CruiseNext Deposit will be applied at the time of reservation. No black-out dates will apply. Reservations are subject to availability.

9. CruiseNext Deposits cannot be combined with chartered cruises, employee, friends and family, interline, or travel agent rates, Welcome Back Rewards or Where to Next? deposits.

10. To cancel a reservation made with a CruiseNext Deposit, submit your request in accordance with Norwegian Cruise Line cancellation policies and procedures. The CruiseNext Deposit will be re-issued minus any cancellation fees, and will retain its original expiration date. If you cancel a reservation made with a CruiseNext Deposit after its expiration date, it will be forfeited. Once a CruiseNext Deposit is applied to a reservation, it is subject to the same cancellation policy, rules and regulations as any other deposit.

11. In addition to these Terms and Conditions, you must comply with the Norwegian Cruise Line the Norwegian Cruise Line (Bahamas) Ltd. d/b/a NCLH and/or NCL America Inc.’s (together “NCL”) Terms and Conditions of the Cruise Brochure and Passenger Ticket Contract.

It's my understanding that if you book your next cruise while actually on a ship, there are some perks to be had - if so what are they? And did you find it worth it?

(We will be on a European cruise in Aug and are already thinking of a Hawaiian cruise in winter 2018)

They used to offer an additional Free at Sea if you booked onboard but there were restrictions on changing the reservation, etc. The latest offer I heard was like 2 category upgrade. Worth it would be up to you.

I was just on a cruise a couple of weeks ago and asked that very thing. She said the bonus being offered (for booking on the ship with a Cruise Next deposit) was an upgrade to the highest stateroom category within the category you have selected. So you could book the cheapest ocean view cabin for example (OF, or whatever it is) and pay that cheaper rate, but get upgraded to an OA category for free.

I do not know if these promos change, but that was in effect on the Spirit on June 7th.

We were on the Star in May & booked our next cruise. In addition to purchasing & using the Cruise Next certificates, we booked a BF balcony & got a BA balcony. The other perks were the same as being offered normally.

I was just on a cruise a couple of weeks ago and asked that very thing. She said the bonus being offered (for booking on the ship with a Cruise Next deposit) was an upgrade to the highest stateroom category within the category you have selected. So you could book the cheapest ocean view cabin for example (OF, or whatever it is) and pay that cheaper rate, but get upgraded to an OA category for free.

I do not know if these promos change, but that was in effect on the Spirit on June 7th.

This is exactly what we were told when we booked on the Jewel a couple weeks ago. Paid for the lowest cost mini suite and were given the highest category mini suite.

Usually - no. You can get the certificate for when you do book, now or later.

BUT - sometimes they run a special as indicated above. Just make sure you are able to cancel if you get home and realize you booked at an emotional time and now want to do something different.

One thing to keep in mind. If you book onboard and get the upgrade perk, you will lose it if you try to rebook later. I just had that experience. I tried to rebook to get the Balcony OBC, and had my TA check to see what would happen. She found out that I would have lost the upgrade, and getting $100 OBC wasn't worth the added cost to keep my cabin.

It really depends on how busy you are. We gave 2 deposits 9 months ago in 2016, but won't be able to use it until after 2018 (when I graduate med school). We have 4 working professionals with my parents and sister. So scheduling is a nightmare. If that is your situation, then book one at most. Now we HAVE to go on vacation. Woe is me, lol

CRUISENEXT PROMOTIONS

Double Your Rewards 6 Months Out

As of 4/6/17 when you book 6 months out in a balcony or higher stateroom, you can apply two Cruise Reward, CruiseNext, CruiseNext Haven, or CruiseNext Lite deposits.

Offer is only applicable to balcony and above staterooms. Reservations need to be booked over 6 months to sailing date to qualify. Accepting updated pricing within 6 months to sailing will void this offer. Offer is based on priced category. Cruise Reward, CruiseNext, and CruiseNext Haven are valid for sailings 6 nights or longer sailings. CruiseNext Lite deposits are valid for Norwegian Sky sailings only. CruiseNext Ultimate reservations are eligible for this offer. Currency exchange rates are set at the time of purchase. Government taxes, port expenses & fees, general excise tax (GET), and discretionary on board service charges and/or gratuities are additional. Cancellation Fees also apply based on the booking/sailing date; therefore, Norwegian Cruise Line strongly recommends the purchase of travel protection on all bookings. Offer is capacity controlled and can be withdrawn at any time. Offer and combinability with other promotional offers is subject to change at any time per Norwegian Cruise Line's discretion. Other restrictions may apply. Not applicable to chartered dates and group types: CMI OP EVENT, CMI OP LG EVENT, INCREG & INCLARGE. Applicable to all offices.

• 8 months later...

Can someone help me understand the difference between the regular Cruise Next certificate and the Haven one? I know the obvious, that the regular certificate is only good for bookings up to and including the mini-suite, whereas the Haven one lets you book a Haven category room.

I guess what I'm asking for is the difference in the perks with buying each certificate while onboard my current cruise. It sounds like the regular certificate gives you a free upgrade to a higher cabin within the category you book with. But I doubt that applies to Haven. If I book and pay for an aft penthouse, certainly they won't bump me to the deluxe owners suite for free - correct?

Plus with the regular certificate you get a 50% return in the form of OBC, whereas Haven is only paying out at 25%. So again, what's the incentive to booking a Haven level certificate?

In our experience, there’s not a good upside comparison between CruiseNext and CruiseNext Haven. The benefit to CN Haven is the reduced deposit amount ($500 vs $1500) and you’re getting 1/3 more bang for your buck (e.g., $1000 in CN Haven vouchers will run you $750).

But yeah, relative to regular CN, it’s not as good a deal, relatively speaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums