Question about medical services

clandt

I have a very strange question. I am having surgery the week before our cruise. My doctor indicated today he needs to have 2-3 blood draws the week after surgery to make sure everything is okay.

Can the medical doctor on board draw blood and prepare it for transfer via fedex?

Thanks in advance

Christy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by clandt:

I have a very strange question. I am having surgery the week before our cruise. My doctor indicated today he needs to have 2-3 blood draws the week after surgery to make sure everything is okay.

Can the medical doctor on board draw blood and prepare it for transfer via fedex?

My guess is that the line wouldn't be happy about putting you on board if you are medically at risk, I agree with Nitemare, I don't think anyone in a white doctors jacket is going to like this idea at all.

Thanks in advance

Christy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Life is at it's best when your address floats

Two MORE open Bookings.

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

I would call the cruise line on this one as I don't think the ships doctors will do anything like that and send it out. They are there pretty much for emergency services only, not follow ups on something you had done before your cruise.

My guess would be that NO they will not do this. But as said previously, you can always call and check.

And remember something else. Cruise lines can refuse passage to someone they feel is not fit for travel, so choose your words very carefully please.

Caribbean Princess 8/14/04

Tahitian Princess 10/14/04

RCI-Legend of the Seas 3/27/05 Panama Canal.

Yes I spoke with the Doctor today about it and he is fine with the cruise. The truth is it is an IVF follow up to check p2 levels. Nothing that puts me or the other passengers at risk.

Christy

What if you are on a sea day?? Can't FedEx from sea, can you? And what if the count isn't where it should be...what then? You are right --it's a strange question. If it were me, I surely would put off my cruse.

KATY

NCL NORWAY - 2000

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2001

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2002

HAL NOORDAM - 2002

HAL VOLENDAM - 2003

ISLAND PRINCESS - NOV. 2003

HAL VOLENDAM - JAN. 2004

CORAL PRINCESS - OCT. 2004

Such a pickle to be in!!! We are between a rock and a hard place. The cruise is for my husband's 40th birthday and there are other family members going on this cruise. We would have the two draws on days we were in port. If they were abnormally they would call me on my cell and the ship (to make sure I got the message) and I would just change how much of my support medicine I took. In all honesty my doctor doesn't even think it will be an issue as I have never had a problem with my progesteron.

Christy

Now that would be another idea, can you get to a doctor on shore in one of the ports? If for some reason the ships doctor will not do it? It might cost you a bit, but if you are determined to go, this might be your answer.

My concern is if you call the cruise line, they could even request a release from your doctor to just allow you to board, even if they can not accomodate your medical tests. They do have that right if they know whats going on.

Did you roommate see the doc for an emergency?

I just called Princess I said I did not want to identify myself and asked if they could take blood and I would arrange to send it. They said really the services on board were to be used for an emergency..... BUT they didn't say 'No'....

Christy

If you are ill, they will draw blood for testing. But following up after a procedure before your cruise is something that I just have never heard of before.

Please let us know if you call and what the cruise lines say, I am very interested in what comes of this thread.

Yes, she went in having trouble breathing, and rapid heartbeat...all day. They never did find out what the problem was really. She came back home, went to the doctor here, and they know immediately what the problem was...thyroid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by clandt:

Thanks in advance

Christy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See if you can find a nurse or phlebotomist onboard. Have your doctor give you a couple of blood

draw kits beforehand. Get your FedEx supplies ready. (setup account or prepay shipping)

You might want to start a thread:

Any Nurses or Phlebotomists on the XX/XX Ship Sailing?

and see if you can hook up with one beforehand.

Other option:

Start looking for doctor's offices in the ports that you are going to and see if you can make an arrangement that way.

Funny option:

Find a blood bank in the port you are in and go give blood. Tell them you would like to keep 1 tube for yourself as a souveneir. You'll get what you want and make $10 to boot. icon_biggrin.gif

Carl

hopping-bunny.gif

escape.gif

Star Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;04;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

NightOne, not for anything, but I'm a nurse, and I wouldn't volunteer to draw blood from a total stranger with no doctor's order. Even if the doc sent a Rx, I wouldn't be licensed to take orders from him specifically. I think the original poster would be hard-pressed to find a volunteer from the list of passengers.

I also wouldn't want to go to a lab on one of the islands. If it were an emergency, that's one thing. Who knows what regulations they adhere to and if they perform routine controls on their lab machines.

Is there any way the procedure can be postponed until you return?

caribbeanqueen3@comcast.net

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jerseygirl3:

NightOne, not for anything, but I'm a nurse, and I wouldn't volunteer to draw blood from a total stranger with no doctor's order. Even if the doc sent a Rx, I wouldn't be licensed to take orders from him specifically. I think the original poster would be hard-pressed to find a volunteer from the list of passengers.

I also wouldn't want to go to a lab on one of the islands. If it were an emergency, that's one thing. Who knows what regulations they adhere to and if they perform routine controls on their lab machines.

Is there any way the procedure can be postponed until you return?

caribbeanqueen3@comcast.net) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

These are very good points - especially with regards to a volunteer nurse (it's probably too risky on their part in terms of liability, etc). I would also recommend having the procedure postponed. We sailed on the Diamond on 5/15 and, originally, I was supposed to have surgery the week before. When we told the doctor, he said no and pushed it to this week. I wasn't too happy at the time since I had been waiting months for the procedure. Now, however, I'm really glad my doctor recommended pushing the surgery, because recovery hasn't been fun and I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have had such a great cruise if I had surgery right before. Just my 2 cents! Good luck with your choice.

I needed to get my blood tested on the Star and I e-mailed the medical dept and asked if they would do it, telling them what I needed. They said yes they would do it and then sent me a long medical sheet to fill out which I ignored. I had an order from my doctor took it to the medical department where they drew and tested my blood. It wasn't cheap, I think $60.00 for the doctor and $35.00 for the test. I also had upper respiratory problems on the ship and saw the medical dept several times. At the end the doctor wrote a letter to my physician saying what they did (he didn't mention the blood test) and charged me $30.00 for the letter. Never again will I go back on the last day to sign for and get charged for the letter!

When I got the results from the blood test I called my doctor with them. It was $5.00 a minute for 2 minutes but in the middle of the Indian Ocean I felt that was not bad!

The doctor was licensed in the UK. I would have no qualms about doing it again.

Carol

Royal Princess Buenos Aires to Santiago

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;2;21;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Everyone has brought up valid points. When I suggested finding a medical center in a port my husband said 'NO WAY'.

The other HORRIBLE part is I can't put it off, because I plan on leaving my job at the end of July and thus will lose my infertility coverage. Also the Dr's office embryo dept closes for 2 months right after my planned procedure!

Carol -- how were you able to get an e-mail address for the med dept?

Thanks Again everyone for your ideas and thoughts!

Christy

Clandt,

I am a nurse too, and was thinking about your dilema. If your doctor and husband are willing to go this route, see if you can have an intermittent IV put in your arm just before you cruise, and be educated to maintain it. It is a small catheter not hooked up to anything, which in addition to giving meds through it, it is as well used to draw blood from, saving you from having to have any further vena punctures because it will be the port of the cathether that is stuck not you directly, so the blood draw would be easy enough for your husband to perform. Maintenance is a simple matter of daily flushing with a small amount of just saline, or a hemarin saline solution to keep the catheter patent. Your husband could draw the needed amount of blood from it just prior to you arriving at a port, and then from there you could have the specimen shipped. Once all the needed blood draws are done the catheter is pulled out.The only draw backs to this is they are not meant to be in for long term, and you have to be very cautious about infection. Also, if the blood specimen has to be spun down in a centrifuge, this would nix this method.

Good Luck icon_smile.gif

Altho totally unqualified to post on this subject: I was wondering if you could just postpone the lab work for 7 days till you're home again?? Afterall, you can't count on getting it back (even with FedEx) and still viable in a timely manner. The sample will have to be kept chilled, and if there is a delay in transport.... If it is a life threatening situation, you should reschedule either the procedure or the cruise. JMHO

Hope it all works out for you!! icon_smile.gif

Gloria

Grand Princess, Eastern, April 2001

Grand Princess, Western,April 2002

Regal to Hawaii, April 5-20, 2004

Caribbean Princess, Eastern, Nov 13-20, 2004

Christy,

I would hesitate to "ask" if medical staff would be able to assist you in that way because it might flag you as a possible risk for the cruise line. Remember...when passengers get seriously ill and have to be airlifted off of the ship, or if the ship has to me re-routed to an emergency port, that will cost the cruise line lots of $$ as well as having to deal with other passenger inconveniences.

In my opinion, I would arrange to have your blood work done in St. Thomas, which would be Tuesday on your cruise. I worked as a cruise director on ships for years, and many of the senior officers on the ship would utilize medical and dental services on St. Thomas because IT IS REGULATED BY THE US. They must follow all department of health standards, and must be board certified in the US. Keep in mind, you will pay a bit more for these services on an island than at home. Also, please be smart, just like anywhere in this country....when calling medical centers or doctor's offices, ask to have them fax you their credentials so you know in advance. If you opt for the $4.99 blood draw special and arrive at a medical center in which you must pass through 2 rickety gates and a yard full of goats and chickens, you know you are NOT in the right place (lets face it, I'm in Florida and there's a news story every week about some doctor or dentist wannabe's working out of their garage, and the patient's have no clue why they have serious infections???)

Good luck to you! Happy Cruising!

-Scott icon_cool.gif

I think what some of you are missing is that this is not a situation where she would be unfit to travel. She wants to make sure that she can avoiding hampering her infertility efforts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The other HORRIBLE part is I can't put it off, because I plan on leaving my job at the end of July and thus will lose my infertility coverage. Also the Dr's office embryo dept closes for 2 months right after my planned procedure!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that after explaining the situation, the medical staff might be inclined to help. icon_wink.gif

I apologize, Christy, if I overstepped my bounds here.

JON

P.S. Good luck and I will pray for you and DH!

www.geocities.com/pattersandmenus

Golden Princess Southern Caribbean-7/11/04

Click to go to the ROLL CALL!

Big Red Boat-1993

Celebrity Zenith-1993

It all comes down to which is the most important avenue of choice in this dilemma. Good Luck!

KATY

NCL NORWAY - 2000

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2001

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2002

HAL NOORDAM - 2002

HAL VOLENDAM - 2003

ISLAND PRINCESS - NOV. 2003

HAL VOLENDAM - JAN. 2004

CORAL PRINCESS - OCT. 2004

Archived