Coral Princess Alaska 6/24-7/1 (plus pre and post-cruise shenanigans)

Beachiekeen

I am so excited to read your review, we are booked on the Coral SB Alaska for June 13, 2018 for our 40th anniversary. We also live in Texas (Burleson) and I have no idea what clothes to bring to Alaska! I have gotten our jackets and coats when they were on clearance but I will be making a list as I read along. Thank you for doing such a detailed review as I also LOVE the planning although I can be a tad OCD.

After sailway, we went back to theroom and sat on the balcony until time for dinner at Bayou Café. I had a salad and a filet and hubby had the lobster and the shrimp and I had bread pudding for dessert. Everything was really good and everyone enjoyed their meal.

193_zpsyjk1mimh.jpg

194_zps8macavy8.jpg

197_zpsonwqvuw7.jpg

After dinner, we went and saw our embarkation pics (didn't buy them--we never do) and then went back outside for what sadly would be our only real sunset of the trip.

198_zpsm4fauium.jpg

200_zpsjpgeshbc.jpg

Hubby and I went to Crooners for a drink. I was SO excited when I learned Crooners had an entire menu of chocolate martinis and I planned on having a different one each night. But then I learned they are made with a very strong vodka and are not creamy so sadly this was the only one I had. Or didn't have actually since hubby had to drink it for me!

203_zpsuomztau4.jpg

They do have a wine I like though so I got that instead the rest of the trip. We had our same waiter from earlier and he remembered I had asked for a bottled water the last time so he asked again and I said yes, please and he came out with a gigantic liter water bottle instead of the small one--it was hilarious!

Oh and as an aside, we had the free beverage package with the Sip and Sail promotion. We have never gotten a drink package before because we don't drink enough to make it worth it. But man, it was so nice having it and never having to worry about keeping a tab, leaving a tip, etc. (although hubby would still tip our waiter cash). And the fact that bottled water was included meant I was in heaven.

Back in the room, hubby and Idecided to take a bubble bath in the jetted tub. Which is always an idea that sounds better than it actually is and this time was no different. I left hubby in charge of the bubbles which was a tactical error on my part because when I walked in, hubby was in bubbles up to his chin. We had to figure out how to drain the tub so as to not to flood the place!

After our soak, it was time for bedin the wonderful new Princess bed. We thought it was very comfortable and slept great every night!

Beechiekeen,

Enjoying your story of your vacation & cruise.

The photos are marvelous!

DH and I have done 1 Alaskan cruise with Princess and we totally enjoyed it! The food, service and atmosphere were probably the best we have had. Cruising through Alaska is wonderful and replenishes the soul!

Looking forward to more :)

Beechiekeen,

Enjoying your story of your vacation & cruise.

The photos are marvelous!

DH and I have done 1 Alaskan cruise with Princess and we totally enjoyed it! The food, service and atmosphere were probably the best we have had. Cruising through Alaska is wonderful and replenishes the soul!

Looking forward to more :)

Thank you so much! It really was amazing! :)

Sea Day

Our sea day started with breakfast at Sabatini’s. It was a nice place. The breakfast didn’t blow me away but it was good and I enjoyed my free mimosa.

221_zpsrknj9d4m.jpg

220_zpsmsjcny3o.jpg

After breakfast, we all went to the atrium as the captain was doing a Q&A session. After that, hubby and I spent time in the thermal suite which we enjoyed.

225_zpswkkap3md.jpg

226_zpsgeskxl1n.jpg

After the thermal suite, hubby found his favorite drink of the cruise, the Frozen Grizzly Bear.

224_zpso6cifcue.jpg

We spent the day relaxing, browsing in the gift shop, sitting on the balcony, etc. We also went to afternoon tea in the dining room.

227_zpsml9x4ckh.jpg

I know you didn't buy the thermal suite pass, but did you happen to notice the current pricing for it?

Glad you enjoyed the Cruise!

Yes I even took a picture of the flyer. It was $149 for one person or $249 for couples.

Thank you - that seems quite steep given the limited facility, especially as there is no hydro pool or views like on other competing lines.

I agree. We even talked about how there's no way we would pay that. We only used it twice and it was free. It was a great perk but not worth paying for it.

Thank you for your review so far! I'm sailing on Golden Princess next June to Alaska. I've only sailed with Disney so this will be a whole new experience and as a FL resident, I have 11 months to buy clothing for Alaska :D

At 4:30, we decided to try out the elite lounge and have some wine and cheese which was decent. It was just us and one other group though, no one else.

This was the night of the Captain’s Welcome and champagne waterfall. Hubby and I always seem to miss these events the first formal night and I was determined we would make it to this one.

386_zpshykl2dww.jpg

MIL got there early to stake out a good spot of the waterfall. When it was our turn to go up, she asked if she could take a picture of us from the opposite side. The guy holding the champagne bottle didn’t really get what she was doing I think! But we tried.

246_zpsqe4x54sf.jpg

We had dinner in the MDR for the first time on formal night. We took a glass of champagne and then headed over the MDR. People were milling everywhere so it was hard to see if the regular line was really a line or not. But there was no wait in Club Class and we walked right in.

We all got the filet and I had the bananas foster for dessert.

388_zps7quq6xfa.jpg

Service was spotty and while I liked my meal ok,the ILs weren’t really impressed so this would be our only night eating in the MDR. We ate twice in the MDR for breakfast and it was ok. Overall, I wasn’t thrilled with the MDR food, it was just ok, although if not for the ILs,hubby and I would have probably given dinner in the MDR at least one more chance. As it was, we really enjoyed the specialty restaurants.

Me and hubby on formal night.

228_zpsc9twkvmx.jpg

After dinner we had a drink and then went back to the room to fill out our room service order since our day would start bright and early tomorrow in Ketchikan!

Ketchikan

We decided to order room service today since our excursion was at 8:30. I just had yogurt and an English muffin but hubby got a full breakfast. This was the only time we ordered room service, it wasn’t great but it did the job.

We booked the Misty Fjords Wilderness cruise through Princess as our excursion. I was a little apprehensive about this as it was expensive and it really depends on what kind of weather you get and if you happen to see wildlife. But we loved it since the scenery was great (weather was a little misty but that just added to the experience) and we saw lots of wildlife. We saw whales and the boat operator stayed aslong as she possibly could so we could see them before having to get us back to port.

I wore a long-sleeved shirt with a thermal shirt and leggings underneath my rain pants, my rain jacket, and a ball cap. I didn’t bring gloves and neither did hubby although he did wear his knit cap andjust wore a long-sleeved shirt with a light hoodie. While I could have used my gloves and maybe even my heavier jacket, I was fine with what I was wearing and if I got overly cold, I would just go inside the boat for a while to warm up. The boat provided hot chocolate, chili or chowder (which I didn’t have but hubby did), and really good quality binoculars. We enjoyed the whole trip alot.

Pictures:

231_zps5db0sip2.jpg

852_zps90cdcxq7.jpg

245_zps8ttk1owb.jpg

270_zpswvnsoziv.jpg

881_zpsbztrz60z.jpg

911_zpsawdpu6nn.jpg

Since we stayed so late for the whales, we didn’t have time to walk around Ketchikan much, although I did go to the Tongass trading post for some really quick souvenirs (including an Alaskan jacket for my dad). I had wanted to eat at Burger Queen but there was no time.

Back on the ship, the ILs went their way and hubby and I decided to try out the Pub Lunch at the Bayou Café. We had our favorite waiter from Crooners. We got the fish and chips and I thought it was fine.

282_zpspsusbgy5.jpg

Then it was out to the balcony for awhile to watch sailaway.

283_zpsoearyczb.jpg

I had ordered tea to be delivered in our suite. When the lady brought it in, I thought there was some mistake—it was so much food! She assured me it was just tea for two.

287_zps7jszllkz.jpg

We called the ILs over to help us finish it. We all sat and talked for awhile and then hubby and I took a nap.

We had pre-booked Sabatini’s for this night. I wasn’t sure when the second formal night was but I knew it wouldn’t be this night so I knew we wouldn’t miss it. (Although as it turned out, we didn’t dress for the second formal night anyway).

I got a salad, the penne with short rib, and even though I didn’t really want it,the NY strip steak (hubby promised to help me eat it). There was also bread with olive oil, and prosciutto on crackers on the table. Everything was yummy and that pasta was so delicious, I am still thinking about it! I had really wanted to eat there again but we never made it—I could have eaten that pasta every night.

290_zps4ennwc6c.jpg

292_zps2lhdx6qe.jpg

293_zpslmcycxsx.jpg

After dinner, hubby and I went for a drink in Crooners and then went up to the room.

295_zpsjmckb2l8.jpg

Juneau

We were up early enough to watch the ship dock in Juneau.

302_zpsbm7tsges.jpg

303_zpss7xjuhpc.jpg

We decided to have breakfast at the buffet today since we wanted to get an early start. Along with everyone else on the ship apparently. It was a madhouse and we finally had to resort sitting at the one dirty table we could find. We totally lost the ILs in the fray and messaged them to say we would meet up with them later.

I made myself a bowl of granola, mixing and matching all the different ones they had, and it was really good. I could have eaten that every day. Hubby just had cereal.

In Juneau, we took the white shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier ($35/pp) and then took the Taku Lodge Seaplane excursion booked through Princess.

This was a great day. At Mendenhall, we took the trail to Nugget Falls. We also did the shorter Photo Trail (which is a really short walk from the Visitor’s Center). We talked about doing the cab thing but felt we had plenty of time to catch the shuttle. We took the 9:00 shuttle to the glacier and the 11:00 back and this was plenty of time.

311_zpssd5ge9yg.jpg

317_zpsrfvgr3u6.jpg

319_zpss68jjx7v.jpg

We then met at 12:20 at the dock for our seaplane excursion. Everyone loved this, Taku Lodge is beautiful,there is a huge glacier RIGHT THERE, the resident bear, Lois, came early and just sat and posed for us while the salmon was cooking.

349_zpsrhnexfee.jpg

350_zpsztqfj765.jpg

353_zpsbrxpyrmy.jpg

355_zpsxtkwq2if.jpg

365_zpsglidju2b.jpg

372_zps9z89qsf1.jpg

Once everyone was inside, she came and licked the grate they cook the salmon on.

388_zpsbqt4ph5r.jpg

391_zpsmmlarykj.jpg

392_zpsieunqjfy.jpg

The meal was delicious, although if you don’t like salmon you probably won’t be happy with the chicken they serve as a substitute (they even admit it’s not that great!).

After lunch, one of the guys from the Lodge led us on a little nature walk.

396_zpsm6akj1vf.jpg

397_zpsf4vixhi6.jpg

We then stopped by the gift shop. I got my mom some delicious smelling peppermint soap. I wish I had gone earlier, because the planes arrived while I was looking around and I had to rush.

1018_zpsmrjqpo6b.jpg

Overall,we absolutely loved this excursion, it was everyone’s favorite.

Back on the ship, hubby and I stopped for a drink at La Patisserie. He got his favorite and I got a hot drink called a Molten Glacier, yum.

404_zpszwnqyetr.jpg

Back in the room, we took a soak in the tub and I sent out some laundry to be done (real exciting stuff I know!) Hubby and I picked up some pizza slices and took them to the buffet where I made a salad to go with it—this became our go-to lunch or dinner when we wanted something easy.

We went and had some cheesecake at the International Café before our nightly drink at Crooners and once back in the room, I sat out on the balcony for awhile since it was light until past 11:00 pm.