Nighttime and morning strolls in Havana?

hollydale

Cruising next week with teenage son on Carnival to Havana!

We have a noon-ish Friday arrival and a noon departure on Saturday. We've booked a "Top 10" tour for Friday which runs until 6pm or so. Question: is it easy and safe for us to walk around later in the evening on our own? We would like some strolling, local color and/or music outside of the tour, but we don't know the vibe. Looks like we have the same opportunity Saturday morning before the ship departs. We're well-traveled, but Cuba is so unique, so appreciate any wisdom. Tips?

Havana is very safe. I had no qualms as a solo woman walking around anywhere at any time of day/night. Of course, I do not wear or flash valuables, but lots of Cubans have a smart phone, and a small digital camera does not make you conspicuous either.

The cruise pier is on the edge of the Havana Vieja neighborhood, which is full of charmingly crumbling Colonial era buildings, providing endless photo ops. Very similar to other tropical Colonial era cities.

The streets in Havana Vieja are rough and lighting is sometimes not good after dark, so you have to be careful not to trip, and there's a lot of traffic from bici-taxis, regular taxis, etc, so you find yourself having to move over a lot to let them pass. It may not look like what you are used to considering as safe, however, because it's very run-down.

Many of the restaurants on Calle Obispo, the main pedestrian tourist street, have live music. Or you could walk over to the Tradicionales de los 50 venue to hear some Buena Vista Social Club style music.

If you want to dine out, look at the list on http://www.lahabana.com, look at reviews on TA, and make reservations at the paladar of your choice. Otherwise (and even so) the food may not be very good,

----------

Out of curiosity, what are the "Top 10"? I've only been to Havana a few times.

Thanks for the info! We have no issues with run down places, so thanks for confirming that it felt safe for strolling. Should be great.

The "Top 10" was an experience that we booked through Carnival: "Top 10 Best of Havana." Looking forward to that experience and to also spending some time on our own.

Appreciate the good details in your post!

We have a noon-ish Friday arrival and a noon departure on Saturday. We've booked a "Top 10" tour for Friday which runs until 6pm or so. Question: is it easy and safe for us to walk around later in the evening on our own? We would like some strolling, local color and/or music outside of the tour, but we don't know the vibe. Looks like we have the same opportunity Saturday morning before the ship departs. We're well-traveled, but Cuba is so unique, so appreciate any wisdom. Tips?

Also cruising to Cuba next week with a teenage son. Thanks for asking this, I was wondering the same thing.

Are you a US citizen? Have approval papers if stopped by the police or military?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Not funny.

Somebody who watches Fox News or has recently seen the old movie "Casablanca" is going to believe you.

Not Funny? Explain yourself. are you american? enlighten me.

So, if American citizen , don't you need approval by Cuban governmentbto walk around alone, and if not with a group?

and keep politics out of it. Troll.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Not Funny? Explain yourself. are you american?

So, if American citizen , don't you need approval by Cuban governmentbto walk around alone, and if not with a group?

and keep politics out of it.

Maybe you are confusing Cuba with Russia

You get your VISA & carry your passport & you are free to wander the Cuban government does not care

Maybe you are confusing Cuba with Russia

You get your VISA & carry your passport & you are free to wander the Cuban government does not care

thanks.

so you do have to carry papers. what about requirement for people to people program requirements when visiting cuba? does waling around alone at night meet the requirements?do you have to carry papers proving so?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

thanks. what about requirement for people to people program requirements when visiting cuba? does waling around alone at night meet the requirements?do you have to carry papers proving so?

The regulations are from the US government

up to you to follow their rules

So far I have not heard of the secret service following Americans around Cuba YET

The regulations are from the US government

up to you to follow their rules

So far I have not heard of the secret service following Americans around Cuba YET

Thank you. So the Cuban government doesn't care if you wander out and about on your own. American citizens are free to book independent tours to travel in Cuba. And, you say I need to just carry visa, US passport, and CUC's. Great!:) Thanks for clarifying.

If you are not a

Troll
, you certainly have misconceptions about what visiting Cuba is like.

Are you a US citizen? Have approval papers if stopped by the police or military?

You are not likely to be stopped by police or military unless you are behaving badly, doing something illegal.

So, if American citizen ,don't you need approval by Cuban government to walk around alone, and if notwith a group?

You are confusing Cuban requirements and U.S.

The Cubans issue you a TOURIST CARD (through the air or cruise line or their agent, or you can deal with the Cuban Consulate in DC). You are a TOURIST in Cuba, just like all the Canadians, Europeans, Australians, etc. The Cuban government doesn’t care how tourists conduct their tourism (unless they do something illegal like photograph military installations or get in a fight). The tourist card is a 2 part small piece of paper, one given to the Aduana at entry and the other at departure.The half you’ll have left for most of your trip is about 2”x2”.

The US government’s OFAC office requires you choose from one of their 12 approved reasons for travel to Cuba. From the time of Obama’s new rules to whenever DT’s new rules are finally published, an individual can travel to Cuba on the People to People general license.

DT’s new rules will probably restrict that category to travel in groups who have applied for a specific license.

so you do have to carry papers.what about requirement for people to people program requirements when visiting cuba? does waling around alone at night meet the requirements?do you have to carry papers proving so?

You should carry a Xerox copy of your passport. Unless I am changing money, I keep the original and the tourist card in a safe place where I am staying. The Xerox would satisfy in the very unlikely situation that a Cuban police/military asks. As mentioned, you are a tourist and they aren't going to target you somehow based on where you are from.

Walking around at night? Meet the requirements? If it’s the US requirements you’re thinking of, the regs state that you must participate in a “full time” schedule of activities related to the OFAC category you chose, without excess free time. Doesn’t define in further detail the term “full time”. (And keep notes of your activities for 5 years in case OFAC ever gets around to asking/auditing.)

So the Cuban government doesn't care if you wander out and about on your own. American citizens are free to book independent tours to travel in Cuba. And, you say I need to just carry visa, US passport, and CUC's.

Again, Cuban gov't isn't discriminating among tourists based on country of origin.

Until DT's folks define the new "guidelines", you are free to book.

Xerox of passport and CUC, yes. Tourist card half can stay with the original passport in a safe place.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

If you are not a

, you certainly have misconceptions about what visiting Cuba is like.

You are not likely to be stopped by police or military unless you are behaving badly, doing something illegal.

You are confusing Cuban requirements and U.S.

The Cubans issue you a TOURIST CARD (through the air or cruise line or their agent, or you can deal with the Cuban Consulate in DC). You are a TOURIST in Cuba, just like all the Canadians, Europeans, Australians, etc. The Cuban government doesn’t care how tourists conduct their tourism (unless they do something illegal like photograph military installations or get in a fight). The tourist card is a 2 part small piece of paper, one given to the Aduana at entry and the other at departure.The half you’ll have left for most of your trip is about 2”x2”.

The US government’s OFAC office requires you choose from one of their 12 approved reasons for travel to Cuba. From the time of Obama’s new rules to whenever DT’s new rules are finally published, an individual can travel to Cuba on the People to People general license.

DT’s new rules will probably restrict that category to travel in groups who have applied for a specific license.

You should carry a Xerox copy of your passport. Unless I am changing money, I keep the original and the tourist card in a safe place where I am staying. The Xerox would satisfy in the very unlikely situation that a Cuban police/military asks. As mentioned, you are a tourist and they aren't going to target you somehow based on where you are from.

Walking around at night? Meet the requirements? If it’s the US requirements you’re thinking of, the regs state that you must participate in a “full time” schedule of activities related to the OFAC category you chose, without excess free time. Doesn’t define in further detail the term “full time”. (And keep notes of your activities for 5 years in case OFAC ever gets around to asking/auditing.)

Again, Cuban gov't isn't discriminating among tourists based on country of origin.

Until DT's folks define the new "guidelines", you are free to book.

Xerox of passport and CUC, yes. Tourist card half can stay with the original passport in a safe place.

Thank you!

Requirements clearly explained.

Having just returned from Carnival Paradise to Cuba....our Visa was tAken by immigration and kept. We had our passports on us at all times while ashore, they were needed to go thru passport control to 're-board the ship. We felt safe and welcomed by everyone we met. Person to person requirements are discussed at length on other sites. Enjoy yourself. A very interesting e experience. We would definitely go back. Yes, walk around and explore. Enjoy every minute!

You should carry a Xerox copy of your passport. Unless I am changing money, I keep the original and the tourist card in a safe place where I am staying. The Xerox would satisfy in the very unlikely situation that a Cuban police/military asks.

You need to keep reminding yourself that this is about visiting Cuba by cruise ship, which is something that you have not done. You need your passport to get ashore. Xerox copies are not going to be meaningful in this instance.

You need to keep reminding yourself that this is about visiting Cuba by cruise ship, which is something that you have not done. You need your passport to get ashore. Xerox copies are not going to be meaningful in this instance.

That's quite true pbenjamin. And the cruise line rules and conditions are what they are vis-a-vis Aduana.

However, the poster asking seemed to think that the Cuban military or police would routinely check the documents of tourists walking the streets of Cuba. The assumption that he might be detained with some regularity and asked to present his tourist card and/or passport was what I was trying to negate.

As mentioned, visitors on land may need only a Xerox copy of the passport since they pass Aduana only once on entry, and no Cuban government entity other than Aduana is likely to need to see your documents..