Ditch That Tux!

I have lost count of the amount of times i have seen 70/80% of men turn out on formal nights of a cruise in a tuxedo:eek: . Guys give it up!!! its dead, its been dead for years.There are so many wonderfull designers out there (well in europe anyway) working with great materials and colours that their really is not any excuse to dress like a pall bearer.:confused:

Come on get those creative juices going,dont belive the wife when she tells you "You look so handsome " YOU DONT,you look like you have been abducted from a Sinatra concert in the sixties.I mean come on, when your honey's sense of style is not so hot itself and she has just told you what to wear its a bit scary yeah!!!

Oh! and whats with that cumberband thingy,thats like wearing your underpants over the top of your trousers, stylish i think not:p

So ok men lets take some control here and demand a little bit of panache,choose your own suit,Armani,Paul Smith etc. and lets show these women who's wearing the (stylish) pants.

P.S. And putting your teenage son in a tux. THATS A BIG NOOO!!!

Looking foreward to the revolution!;)

Happy cruising!

Jazz.

Wow, where did that come from? I guess I am a child of the fifties (even though I'm only 41) because I love a man in a tux. Very James Bond looking! My husband doesn't usually wear one but, honey, if he did, it just might be a night he wouldn't forget for awhile!:eek:

Sorry, OP, tend to disagree. I think that if men spent more time choosing a flattering tuxedo, it would look like it was meant for them. Perhaps you are speaking of ill-fitting tuxes in general.

In any event...DH and our 7-yr. old son will be in tuxes on our upcoming cruise. Sorry to disappoint. :D

I STRONGLY dissagree!!!

My husband looks awesome in a tank top & shorts or sweat shirt & jeans. But put a tux on him and it is hard to keep my hands off. He has to have an athletic cut so it takes alot of altering but it fits him perfectly. He changes it up with different vests, bow ties & EURO ties. It is definately possible to wear a tux & still be fashion forward.

Every man looks better in a tux!!

Wow, where did that come from? I guess I am a child of the fifties (even though I'm only 41) because I love a man in a tux. Very James Bond looking! My husband doesn't usually wear one but, honey, if he did, it just might be a night he wouldn't forget for awhile!:eek:

I included this quote from a woman of my same age (winks*) --and since we're metro-Atlanta neighbors, if she wants me to talk her husband into joining me as a tux wearer on formal night, shoot me an email! And if he won't, well, we'll assume that offer of yours was for him and him alone (shucks!).

OP, I wear suits to the office daily. More Brooks Brothers than the suit makers you mention. Jos. A. Bank makes a fine suit in the many of the same styles and patterns as Brooks for a more affordable cost. But that's why there are a variety of styles, so to each his own. Yet, don't many of the suit makers you mention also design tuxes? So, they would not agree w/ you to ditch the tux, would they? (Though I can't say I like what "passes" for a tux in some circles).

Like the comparison you make to Sinatra (you got a problem w/ Sinatra?) and the other comparison to James Bond, its a classic, timeless look. I for one welcome the opportunity to put on my tux and participate in a tradition that upholds class in elegant surroundings. Plenty of time for suits elsewhere, and plenty of time for shorts and t-shirts on a caribbean cruise as well. Its a privilege to be a part of an event where Black tie is the appropriate manner of dress.

Jazz - no offense, but you sound very young. We, on the other hand, are senior citizens, and both my husband and I like his tux and he will continue wearing it. Cumberband and all. Oh, he works in the suit department of a well know store in our area and has access, and discounts, to many designer suits. He even owns a few but he sure doesn't look as handsome in those as he does his tux. To each his own I guess.

Tuxedos dead? I don't think so. Possibly the English language is in trouble, judging by the spelling and grammar on many posts these days.

The tuxedo is a classic and timeless look. Like any type of clothing, it must fit and be worn correctly in order to look nice.

Perhaps this is not to the OP’s preference, but that is fine too. The stylish suits that he (? Assuming a male poster) describes would also be appropriate for the formal dining nights. If he thinks he looks fantastic in one, then he should dress that way by all means.

On the other hand:

Come on get those creative juices going,dont belive the wife when she tells you "You look so handsome " YOU DONT,you look like you have been abducted from a Sinatra concert in the sixties.I mean come on, when your honey's sense of style is not so hot itself and she has just told you what to wear its a bit scary yeah!!!

Oh! and whats with that cumberband thingy,thats like wearing your underpants over the top of your trousers, stylish i think not

First of all, my wife has excellent taste. Maybe she had one lapse in judgment by selecting me as a mate, but I think we can all forgive that.;) When she tells me I look good, that is all that really matters to me. The OP can have his sense of “style”, but just because it does not coincide with ours does not make him right and us wrong. I think the scary part is not having any respect for your spouse’s opinions. Besides, I only wear my underpants on top of my trousers in the Windjammer, never in the main dining room.:D

To the OP: I personally do not see this as a gender battle issue. Good luck with your “revolution”. I am sure you will look spectacular and trendy. I, however, prefer the classic look.

I also cannot agree or disagree with the OP. While i myself would not be caught dead in a Tux, would much prefer a designer suit. What other people wear, i could care less. I am comfortable in my suit, other in their Tuxes. I second the to each their own statement......

Boy Jazz, you are really outnumbered on this subject. Wearing a tux is something special and I think guys look terrific with a nice fitting tux. Did anyone ever look better in a tux than Fred Astaire or Cary Grant :rolleyes:

I was in the Air Force for 30 years and wore the same "blue suit" practically every day. I didn't wear Armani or Calvin to work, just the suit that Uncle Sam issued to me. Now when I go on a cruise or to a wedding, wearing my tux feels good. So lighten up Jazz, and you wear what you like and we will wear what we like. ;)

logan1 2000-Thanks for the offer! (And yes, it's for him and him alone.;)) Good to meet a fellow Hotlantan!

DH has said on occasion he would wear a tux, just a hassle getting it together. He has to wear ties, etc, daily so I get to see him dressed up frequently. But, geez, nothing like a "sharp dressed man"! Oh well, I'll take him any way he comes!

In my book, there is nothing sexier than a man in a well-fitted tuxedo! Yes, a finely-cut suit also looks handsome, but for sex-appeal, it can't top a tux!

I'll also support "wear what you like" (so long as it meets the dress code), but don't get rid of tuxedos completely!

I have to join this. As you can see, I don't post that much, but on this one I just have to agree with the tux people. I have yet to see a man in a tux that didn't look good. I have seen them in all shape and sizes and if they had a good fitting tux---WOW.

Gentleman, if you are thinking about a tux, go for it. I also have no problems with suits, but there is just something about a tux that can't compare. My 8 year old nephew looked great in a wedding a few weeks ago and so did all of the men in the wedding.

I'm guessing we're either responding here to someone who just wants to stir the pot or someone who is just bored and wanted to see where this would go, but I'm going to respond anyway.

First, a tuxedo is simply a different look. Naturally a good suit can look just as nice, but it's just different. I've also seen tuxedos for well over $1000 so price means nothing.

I mean come on, when your honey's sense of style is not so hot itself and she has just told you what to wear its a bit scary yeah!!!

I can tell you that based on that statement right there, you just lost your arguement! DH would be laughing at you by this point!

And when all is said and done, I'm betting with how sharp my husband looks he will have a bigger smile on his face at the end of the night than any "man" who refuses to dress to please his wife! ;)

I suspect the real problem isn't with Tuxedos, it is with cheap, ill fitting tuxedos.

You can buy a Tux for $99 at J.C. Penney, and $150 elsewhere. To say they look and fit like a cheap suit is being nice. The same goes for many rentals - they're built out of fabrics designed to be easily cleaned, not designed to look good, and often don't fit properly.

A decent, well fitted suit will look better than a cheap, ill fitting tuxedo every time.

But, there's nothing like a nice, tailored tuxedo.

I have lost count of the amount of times i have seen 70/80% of men turn out on formal nights of a cruise in a tuxedo.

I've never seen that many men in a tux on formal night. I would estimate no more than 10% on our West Coast cruises and maybe 25% in Europe. What line are you cruising, anyway?

Guys give it up!!! its dead, its been dead for years.There are so many wonderfull designers out there (well in europe anyway) working with great materials and colours that their really is not any excuse to dress like a pall bearer.

Have you been to a funeral lately? Pallbearers wear dark suits, not tuxes, unless they're military, in which case they're in uniform. Even the corpse probably doesn't wear a tux. But I'm sure they're stylish suits.

Come on get those creative juices going,dont belive the wife when she tells you "You look so handsome " YOU DONT,you look like you have been abducted from a Sinatra concert in the sixties.

And you call yourself Jazzman5? (OK, I know Sinatra isn't techincally jazz, but real jazzmen wear tuxes. :cool: )

I mean come on, when your honey's sense of style is not so hot itself and she has just told you what to wear its a bit scary yeah!!!

:confused:

Oh! and whats with that cumberband thingy,thats like wearing your underpants over the top of your trousers, stylish i think not:p

The CUMMERBUND is even more challenging than the bowtie to get right. I prefer a vest, but DH won't wear one because we like to dance and it would get too warm. So I'm frequently yanking the cummerbund thingy down to hide the shirt gap. Hmm, maybe that's why he likes it....

So ok men lets take some control here and demand a little bit of panache,choose your own suit,Armani,Paul Smith etc. and lets show these women who's wearing the (stylish) pants.

Now that's a scary thought!:eek:

P.S. And putting your teenage son in a tux. THATS A BIG NOOO!!!

Awww, did mommy make you dress up? I'm sure a pair of baggy pants with the underwear showing from under the waistband would be more comfy, but I don't think they make Jockeys in a formal style.

:D

I also wonder what sort of tuxedo trauma the OP suffered. When our son became of prom-going age, he bought a tuxedo that he truly enjoys wearing on cruises. Surprises me, but also pleases me. DH bought a tuxedo before our most recent cruise, and he looked HOT!

I think there's something about wearing a tuxedo that causes a man to stand taller and feel more confident. Not that DH, at 6'4", needed to stand taller! Counting down the days until my next opportunity to spend an evening with James Bond. :D Sigh.....

Happy sailing, Carla

Never had a tux and never will (Guess Jazzman is glad to hear that) I dont have anything against a tux or people who like them. Suits are just more user friendly IMO. I live in the caribbean and the only time I wear a suit is to a wedding or New years eve night and when on a cruise so my suits are under used and hence no need to add a tux to the wardrobe.

This post made just made my lunch hour more enjoyable.

To the original poster...you really do know how to stir the pot my dear boy. You gotta be in your 20's - as you age you will see that a man in a tux is like a fine wine (did I just say that???) You have to take him in your hands, breathe him in deeply and then enjoy the taste - oh Lordy !! Give me a man in a tux anyday. Theres just something so, so James Bond about that.

Alright, enough of fantasizing, Im going back to work.

:)

Met my DH while he was in the military, and he did look FINE in his dress whites!!! He wears a (well-fitting) suit and tie on our cruises. But, a man in a great-fitting tux just makes you look twice, I would absolutely LOVE to see DH in one;) ! (Maybe we'll rent one this next time!!!)

Archived