Cruising with a 14 month old

I am currently pregnant but we have our first cruise with the baby planned for November of next year, it was planned for this year but was moved because we found out I was pregnant.

So my question is we are going to Amber Cove, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk.

What are some good things to do in those ports with a baby?

We thought about in Amber Cove renting a pool side cabana so we could get out of the sun if needed and it's near the splash pad for kids .

Thank you in advance to anyone with advice.

Yes I love yo plan ahead!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, don't do it. Keep your newborn off a ship in November. At the high season for Flu. And you have never been in a cruise before. Cmon, has common sense taken a backseat to logic?

Go somewhere that your familiar with. It's not a vacation with a baby in tow. We did it. It sucked, lesson learned. You can't beat real advice. Flame retardant suit on...

However, if you do go. I highly suggest passports. Especially when traveling with a baby. If you or the little one gets sick. And you have to go home. A passport is the key. Without one, prepare to be helped by 3rd rate healthcare.

No, don't do it. Keep your newborn off a ship in November. At the high season for Flu. And you have never been in a cruise before. Cmon, has common sense taken a backseat to logic?

Go somewhere that your familiar with. It's not a vacation with a baby in tow. We did it. It sucked, lesson learned. You can't beat real advice. Flame retardant suit on...

However, if you do go. I highly suggest passports. Especially when traveling with a baby. If you or the little one gets sick. And you have to go home. A passport is the key. Without one, prepare to be helped by 3rd rate healthcare.

This would be my 7th cruise so I'm not a newbie and always cruise this time of year. I have my passport and plan on one for my son. I was just wanting advise on things to do with baby while in port

I cruise with my son the first time at 16 months. Best excursions I found with him were beach or pool related. In Grand Turk, just go to the beach beside the ship it was pretty nice with lots of fish. (Tip here, bring dog bones the fish will be flocking to you, it was pretty cool). In San Juan, if the baby doesn't mind walking around in his stroller and you like history, jump on the free trolly to the fort. Then take the shuttle back into town, stopping to shop and eat. I haven't been to the other two so I'm no help there. But something to consider it they typically will doing babysitting (for a cost) while you are in port. We did this with my 16 month old so we could take my other kid snorkeling. The main thing with a child that small is to be flexible. His mood will determine the mood for all of you.

I cruise with my son the first time at 16 months. Best excursions I found with him were beach or pool related. In Grand Turk, just go to the beach beside the ship it was pretty nice with lots of fish. (Tip here, bring dog bones the fish will be flocking to you, it was pretty cool). In San Juan, if the baby doesn't mind walking around in his stroller and you like history, jump on the free trolly to the fort. Then take the shuttle back into town, stopping to shop and eat. I haven't been to the other two so I'm no help there. But something to consider it they typically will doing babysitting (for a cost) while you are in port. We did this with my 16 month old so we could take my other kid snorkeling. The main thing with a child that small is to be flexible. His mood will determine the mood for all of you.

Amber Cove and Grand Turk I think will be the easiest because of the free pools and Grand Turks beach. I will have my parents and in laws so in one port my husband and I can do our own thing while he is being babysat by them. Thank you for the advice.

You'll have a great time! It will be way different from your previous cruises, but I cruised with my DS when he was 15 mo old and have the BEST memories! I think the key is to not plan too much. We really didn't do any excursions or plan anything. We got off the ship and if there was anything near by, we did that. If there wasn't much to do, we went back on the ship to walk the halls, people watch, eat ice cream, and nap. Dinner in the MDR was our favorite! The wait staff LOVED our little one!

You will have fun and make great memories, but I bet your next cruise will be just you and your hubby!! DS took a cruising break after that first one until he turned 5, but DH and I did not :-) We're about go on his 3rd cruise at 6 years old and already have the next one in mind. You'll love it and he'll love it!

As you can see from my pictures below, cruising with a young child is always miserable. *eye roll* This was our first cruise with our now five-year-old son. He'll be on his eighth cruise in a couple of weeks. This cruise was not in November, but was in September. We did get insurance, and he did have a passport, but we've had a great time. Was it the same as cruising before he was born? Of course not. Nothing else in life is the same either, so why would cruising be any different? You know that, so I'm sure this won't be any surprise either. Don't let anyone discourage you or take their criticism to heart.

I don't have much guidance on those specific ports, but I highly recommend beach-style excursions or beach locales very close to the port. Dragging a car seat along is very difficult and the local driving often leaves something to be desired, so we felt more secure in big buses when we had to go anywhere at all. I also recommend trying to find beach locales that have umbrellas or other means of getting out of the sun. Port facilities and luxury hotels are most likely to having bathrooms with changing tables available, but availability is limited compared to the U.S.

Have a great vacation!

7967039176_2bebd663b3_z.jpg

7967036316_375f5b33e5_z.jpg

7967031250_94670ac05e_z.jpg

7967026370_7d1459208b_z.jpg

7967017278_fa88ef5511_z.jpg

As you can see from my pictures below, cruising with a young child is always miserable. *eye roll* This was our first cruise with our now five-year-old son. He'll be on his eighth cruise in a couple of weeks. This cruise was not in November, but was in September. We did get insurance, and he did have a passport, but we've had a great time. Was it the same as cruising before he was born? Of course not. Nothing else in life is the same either, so why would cruising be any different? You know that, so I'm sure this won't be any surprise either. Don't let anyone discourage you or take their criticism to heart.

I don't have much guidance on those specific ports, but I highly recommend beach-style excursions or beach locales very close to the port. Dragging a car seat along is very difficult and the local driving often leaves something to be desired, so we felt more secure in big buses when we had to go anywhere at all. I also recommend trying to find beach locales that have umbrellas or other means of getting out of the sun. Port facilities and luxury hotels are most likely to having bathrooms with changing tables available, but availability is limited compared to the U.S.

Have a great vacation!

7967039176_2bebd663b3_z.jpg

7967036316_375f5b33e5_z.jpg

7967031250_94670ac05e_z.jpg

7967026370_7d1459208b_z.jpg

7967017278_fa88ef5511_z.jpg

He is so cute! I can't wait to see what memories we make as a family. I am excited for the changes our family is going through. He will be a seasoned cruiser by the time he is 10 [emoji2]

He is so cute! I can't wait to see what memories we make as a family. I am excited for the changes our family is going through. He will be a seasoned cruiser by the time he is 10 [emoji2]

Thanks! He's still pretty cute. We obviously enjoy ourselves, even if he's now old enough that we have to pry him out of Camp Ocean to spend some time with us.

35182340933_4e99d8be91_z.jpg

*Daddy is being scolded for taking a picture with his phone here, but given the enormous amount we spent on photos from Carnival on the trip, I don't feel too bad about taking this one.*

Thanks! He's still pretty cute. We obviously enjoy ourselves, even if he's now old enough that we have to pry him out of Camp Ocean to spend some time with us.

35182340933_4e99d8be91_z.jpg

*Daddy is being scolded for taking a picture with his phone here, but given the enormous amount we spent on photos from Carnival on the trip, I don't feel too bad about taking this one.*

OMG he has gotten cuter!

The cruise with the LO will be absolutely fine. Will it be different, yes, of course but it will all work out. GT and Amber Cove are the easiest because of the pool at AC and pool/beach at GT. The ship docks right downtown in San Juan, so sightseeing is easy here. I think St. Thomas will be the more difficult port due to transportation and such. What about a boat tour with a stop at a beach? Years ago, there was a boat ride to Honeymoon Beach although I'm not sure if that is still an excursion or not.

Since you have your parents and in laws with you, you should be fine.

When our grand daughter was 13 1/2 months, we took her and her parents on a cruise. Our ports were Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk.

Since we cruise a lot and our son had not cruised since he was 11 and his wife as a teenager, we took most of the responsibility for her so they could really enjoy their cruise.

Hopefully you are in the same situation with your parents and inlaws so that they will help out and you can all enjoy your cruise. It is a lot of work with a 13 or 14 month old on a cruise.

We had late party goers in our hall so always lots of noise late at night when the baby is trying to sleep. Ironically in over 50 cruises, this was the only time we had noisy neighbors. Then in the early mornings when the baby cries, you don't want to disturb others. I remember taking her up to Lido in her stroller so we would not disturb anyone sleeping.

HMC and Grand Turk were nice beach days for us as a family. She loved the water. San Juan, we went on the free trolley with her and her parents but after her parents got off to explore the forts, we stayed on with her, got off in old town, walked around a bit and went back to the ship with her. In St Thomas, it was so hot and her parents wanted to go downtown to shop so we walked with her around the port area and then went back to the ship.

We went to early dinner in the MDR with our friends. My son and daughter in law took our grand daughter for dinner on Lido. After dinner we took over so they could have dinner for 2 in the MDR.

We didn't get to go to any shows but hey, we already saw them on other cruises.

You may not want the 2 sets of parents to spend as much time as we did wirh our grand daughter but even if each help out one or two nights each, it will be a big help.

If all three couples take turns with your 14 month old, you can all enjoy the cruise. If you have to do it alone, I think it would be hard.

After boarding, go to GS to get extra keys for the parents so they have acess to your cabin when in charge of your baby.

Enjoy!

Hey, ultimately your going to do what you want to. You may even get angry at posts like mine.

That being said, you will probably just latch on(no pun intended) to the answers you want to hear.

Whatever your decision is right for you. But, you might just have a perfect baby for a cruise.

It will not be the brochure vacation you envisioned.

If your flying, it's a nightmare especially with a baby in tow. All the crap you have to bring is ridiculous. Even if your not driving. It's crazy...

Before I spend thousands for a trip that I know in advance will be a challenge. With so many unknowns in a cramped room. You could not pay me to go. Unless we were traveling with others who can give you some freedom.

Best of luck. I wish you well.

DS was a toddler when he first started cruising and he is 14.5 now and a very seasoned cruiser...take it easy in those ports...these are very easy on and off ports and if you need to go back to the ship you can very easily.

We always had an umbrella stroller in the early days, made it easier to walk around and he always napped at some point in the stroller and the top gave him shade while napping. Of course the umbrella stroller is easy to fold up when on sand but these ports also have areas to walk around in and some shops.

We took dd on her first cruise last year when she was 15 months and had a great time. At that age she was just happy to be wherever we took her. We went into it with realistic expectations and were perfectly aware that we'd probably have to leave dinner a few times if she got fussy. It only happened once and because we expected it that actually felt like more of a win than a loss lol. I think a lot of it has to do with your vacation style as well. I'm not one for adventurous excursions so hanging out at a beach or a pool was hardly a negative in my book. In grand Turk we rented a cabana and it was great for her to have a place to decompress or take a nap and having a waitress definitely made it easier on me.

I respect everyone's opinions here but speaking from experience having her there really didn't effect our experience as much as some seem to believe it would.

And to prove that I actually have realistic expectations I will say that we will be cruising with her again next month and I'm petrified. Unfortunately with age (all 2 years of her) comes opinions...so many opinions lol. Think happy thoughts for me [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We first took our daughter on the cruise when she was 17 months old and had a great time. We flew from Maryland through Miami to Aruba for a 14 day Panama Canal full transit cruise. Flight home was San Diego to Maryland.

Be prepared to adjust your schedule to include the all important nap and early bedtime.

Make sure you have a sun hat and lots of sun screen for the baby.

Enjoy the family memories and never worry about others' opinions when traveling with your child. There are many selfish people out there who wouldn't think of sharing all their life with their children and have no qualms about confronting you about your choice.