Crab Shack.... Opinions?

KristyMisty14

• 8 months later...
If you are really from Vancouver BC then no it is not "worth it". Too much access for you to good seafood. If you're really from Nebraska then maybe it is worth it. IMO - obviously

If you have access to the downtown area of Vancouver and very deep pockets, you may not find it "worth it" but I live out in the burbs (most everyone does here) and there's a sushi shop on every corner but a real shortage of good seafood. I'm looking forward to the "Crab Shack" on our September cruise.

We dined at the crab shack on the crown just about a month ago. The seafood was very fresh and cooked well. We weren’t upset we spent the money on it, but both of us said it want worth it to do it again.

Our biggest disappointment was the dessert offering. The same desserts we’d just snacked on in the buffet. For the up charge they should offer at least one specialty or higher quality dessert.

Son took me for dinner for my birthday in January. Food was mediocre. Waiter brought wrong entree first time then we didn't see him again. Terrible service and as this is not a special restaurant people were walking through where we were eating the whole time. I felt like we were on display. Would NEVER DO THIS AGAIN. Crown Gris was a much better experience

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you have access to the downtown area of Vancouver and very deep pockets, you may not find it "worth it" but I live out in the burbs (most everyone does here) and there's a sushi shop on every corner but a real shortage of good seafood. I'm looking forward to the "Crab Shack" on our September cruise.

A shortage of good seafood in Vancouver? That's a laughably inaccurate statement, even if for some bizarre reason you feel sushi doesn't count (and even further extend that to all Asian eateries). I'll list a handful of straight-up Western boil or grill or fry 'em options for you, so next time you come in from the 'burbs you can get a better-value seafood meal.

Let's see: we have OddFish in Kits, which serves up their 'hot mess' of enough fish & shelled beasties to easily feed two as an entree for $75 (was $65 when they opened); Tony's on Granville Island doing old-school fried platters for two that provide a whole meal for under $50 including tax and a generous tip; the kinda-stupidly-named Holy Crab that serves up crawfish at $20 a pound, shrimp even less, crabs & lobsters are 'market price' but it's not much more than retail, and you can add corn, fries AND chowder for under $10 for all three; more toward the 'burbs The Captains Boil has branches so far down Kingsway it's nearly in Burnaby, plus Coquitlam and Richmond (and a North Van opening soon) and they're even cheaper than Holy Crab. I may be lucky enough to be deep-pocketed and willing to spend a good chunk of change on a nice dinner, but anyone who can afford to pay a ~$30pp upcharge on a cruise can afford these places!

If you'd necromantized this thread even three weeks ago I'd also have listed the Fish Shack on Granville St - which until it closed at the end of March offered a 'basically the same as Princess but better' Fisherman's Catch for LESS than the upcharge onboard. CAD$27pp got you the small, plenty big enough for one person and including Dungeness & Snow crab, Shrimp, Clams, Mussels and Calamari plus the usual taters & corn in the boil. Go up to CAD$37pp and you got more of everything plus lobster.

Factor in sushi and various 'ethnic eatery' options and there's even more choice - you don't need to hit Blue Water Cafe or Tojo's to get good seafood for a very fair price in this city...