Paying for onboard expenses with parents credit card

Hi, my son's friend does not have a credit card. He is over 18. Can he set up his onboard expense account with his parent's credit card?

Sure, if his parents will be at check-in with him.

Otherwise he can set up a cash account.

Hi, my son's friend does not have a credit card. He is over 18. Can he set up his onboard expense account with his parent's credit card?

Yes. Provided the friend has all of the correct billing information for the 3rd party card.

The logical thing would be for his parents to add him to one of their credit cards. Good way to get his credit history started and he would have a card with his name on it for emergencies as well.

No, kind of illegal to use another person's credit card. What you can do, is have him set up a cash account, or he can use his debit card, or he can apply for a credit card today and get one. Another person said you can add him as an authorized user on their parents card, and than he can use it.

At age 18, he should be able to get a credit card easily or he should have his own bank account already, so he should have a visa debit card.

Sure, if his parents will be at check-in with him.

Otherwise he can set up a cash account.

I believe if you set it up prior during online check in, you still have to present the card at check in. Its possible that if it was setup online AND he has the card with him to present, they will allow him to use it, but if he doesn't have a credit card, then he can just set up a cash account. You don't NEED a credit card.

I believe if you set it up prior during online check in, you still have to present the card at check in. Its possible that if it was setup online AND he has the card with him to present, they will allow him to use it, but if he doesn't have a credit card, then he can just set up a cash account. You don't NEED a credit card.

I'm not sure that the person whose name is on the card would have to be present at check-in. That's why I think a great idea was mentioned above to have the parents add another credit card to their account in the child's name.

No, kind of illegal to use another person's credit card.

Funny, but not accurate unless there is intent to defraud it's not illegal.

I believe as long as the card is presented at check in, which was used to set up the account on line it's not an issue. Of course it would help if the last names matched for the PAX and card.

Before suggesting using someone else's credit card to set up an on board account, the proponents might want to read the Terms of Use of the credit card, or check with the credit card issuer.

Would hate to see someone show up at check in with Dad's credit card info to be declined.

Some excellent alternatives have been offered above.