Would You Ever Consider Working on a Carnival Cruise Ship?

Personally....no...unless it's a high ranking position. The remainder get little pay for all they do. Plus, I need space. If I had children, it would be their decision as it's their life to live and their choices to make. If it were a niece or nephew, I would support their choice....and take a cruise on the ship they work. :)

I work in the IT field as a developer. If they had something on the ship that I could do that would be behind a computer or working on the computers/network and I didn't have a family then definitely. I wouldn't be no steward or work as a waiter or anything like that.

Although the "Fun Squad" jobs look pretty fun!

To add about children, yes I would let my kids work on one if they wanted to, assuming you have to be 18 to work on a ship. When they are 18 it's their decision to make, not mine. I am not one "of those" parents who will try to control my kids once they hit 18. I'm here to support them.

If it's been asked, I missed it. What about you? Would you do it? How would you feel about your kids giving it a try.

For me, personally, it's a non-issue. Not just because I'm tethered to the land by marriage and parenthood, but unfortunately, I have always struggled with maintaining my blood sugar levels. I would never be hired.

If my own children wanted to pursue it, I don't see why not.

If it's been asked, I missed it. What about you? Would you do it? How would you feel about your kids giving it a try.

For me, personally, it's a non-issue. Not just because I'm tethered to the land by marriage and parenthood, but unfortunately, I have always struggled with maintaining my blood sugar levels. I would never be hired.

If my own children wanted to pursue it, I don't see why not.

No I would not, as I am married, have a house, bills, etc... I might have considered it when I was younger and single though, if the thought had ever occurred to me. I don't have children, so I couldn't say how I'd feel about a child of mine doing it.

As an entertainer, YES,,,,,but as a steward, or waiter,,,not a chance. (I used to maintain the hardware on the "on board SUN computers" many years ago, but that was done when the ships were in port,,,,not at sea.)

"SKY"

To add about children, yes I would let my kids work on one if they wanted to, assuming you have to be 18 to work on a ship. When they are 18 it's their decision to make, not mine. I am not one "of those" parents who will try to control my kids once they hit 18. I'm here to support them.
I didn't ask if you would "allow" it, but how you'd feel about it.

My DD(20) has talked about wanting to try it for 6 months as a dancer after she graduates from college in 3 years but before she starts her teaching career. I would support her in her decisions. She wants to coach a dance team as well as teach so this could help her resume.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great question. I don't have kids so I can't speak to that part. Carnival has some land jobs I'd consider, but I haven't seen anything on the ship that would pay me near what I make now. So no, it would be a big stretch for me to consider a ship-based job.

And who wants to take a bus-man's holiday anyway? Some things are just best left alone. I surely don't want to mess with something I derive so much enjoyment from. :-)

It would depend; which job.

But at this point in my life/age, dont think there would be any jobs for me/my age group, and no at this point in my life (retired) no! At this point in my life that kind of hard hard work is not viable!

But there were certainly times in my life when I wanted to do something different and would have considered it. But those times have passed me by now.

BTB I only just recently read the the book CRuis conFD. A hoot, and also bit of a downer about how things are for the workers on board ships. But really more of a "what the heck? really?" end result feeling after reading that. Still think a lot of that was embellished, but I would definitely not want to work as a waiter after reading that lol!

Great question. I don't have kids so I can't speak to that part. Carnival has some land jobs I'd consider, but I haven't seen anything on the ship that would pay me near what I make now. So no, it would be a big stretch for me to consider a ship-based job.

And who wants to take a bus-man's holiday anyway? Some things are just best left alone. I surely don't want to mess with something I derive so much enjoyment from. :-)

I'd want to be captain. ;) Actually, not. I wouldn't want to have the lives of 3000+ people in my hands.

It would depend; which job.

But at this point in my life/age, dont think there would be any jobs for me/my age group, and no at this point in my life (retired) no!

But there were certainly times in my life when I wanted to do something different and would have considered it. But those times have passed my by now.

BTB I only just recently read the the book CRuis conFD. A hoot, and also bit of a downer about how things are for the workers on board ships. But really more of a "what the heck? really?" end result feeling after reading that. Still think a lot of that was embellished, but I would definitely not want to work as a waiter after reading that lol!

I'm quite sure the author probably took a few liberties. What good writer doesn't?

Though not for Carnival DH was recently referred by a headhunter to manage the retail shops on a Cruise line, which he promptly sent a letter of thank but no thanks.

The contract terms where for 4 months room (an actual passenger cabin as a single) and board with the pay being completely tied to commission based on how well the salespeople sold. Not exactly the type of management position he has in mind, but it might work out for someone else.

As for my son working on a cruise ship, he's young and single, it probably would be a terrific experience. KIM though he would only do so if he could work in the engineering department, since that ties closely in what his college major is.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app