ATK on Niew Amsterdam ? Anyone tried it?

We are taking a family trip on NA in November and I wanted to do a cooking class with our daughter. I wondered if America'sTest Kitchen is up and running?

I have done cooking classes in the old format ( 5* perk) and wondered what the differences were. Thanks!

The new format does not allow you to eat the food you cook. You are paired with another and cook a specific dish. Then you move to the Pinnacle where you eat the menu prepared by the kitchen. You used to get wine while you cooked and then unlimited wine during the meal. Now it is one glass of wine with the meal. I did it with my husband after doing it the old way. This way was not fun at all, nor did I learn anything. Would not spend the money again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The NADM may not have it by then according to my PCC - but always subject to change. It is going into drydock in December. America's Test Kitchen is essentially IMO just signage and program presentation changes from the previous program of Culinary Arts. The Culinary Arts program did not allow you to eat what you prepared as well, so no change there.

Edited by Heartgrove

America's Test Kitchen was on the Nieuw Amsterdam when I sailed on her December 27, 2016 and January 6, 2017. It had just been introduced on our cruise. First program was about Salmon. I remember that because I attended the program.

There have been several other threads about ATK.

The price has increased to around $39.00. There is no longer a lunch in the Pinnacle Grill after the class . We received small appetizer sized portions of the dish prepared.

There was no wine.

Frankly,as I've stated in the other thread, if it wasn't a 5* benefit I wouldn't do it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The NADM may not have it by then according to my PCC - but always subject to change. It is going into drydock in December. America's Test Kitchen is essentially IMO just signage and program presentation changes from the previous program of Culinary Arts. The Culinary Arts program did not allow you to eat what you prepared as well, so no change there.

So much for the PCC's knowledge. See #4 below.

You have not been able to eat the food you cook in quite a while. We have friends who were guest chefs on HAL several times since 2012 (pre ATK) - most recently twice in 2016. Maasdam Panama Canal transit and Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska 2016.

I want to say that they stopped letting class attendees eat the fruits (and meats and veggies) of their labors in time for their trip from Montreal to Boston in 2015. The kitchen made the recipe and that's what was served.

I can check if you want, but I think it was in response to government and the lawyers. They've since moved on to saving you from the deadly dangers of the poolside barbecue.

So much for the PCC's knowledge. See #4 below.

I just happen to have the PCC on the phone when I was responding to the question. He put me on hold and called the department that is responsible for ATK. Maybe HAL Corporate doesn't know it either!

His response was what I originally posted. We were first with it on the Westerdam last November but at the time it was indicated that personnel needed to be trained, etc. It has turned into a slower rollout fleet-wide than originally planned. ATK was not on the Zuiderdam last month.

Maybe someone who was recently on the NADM could verify.

I just happen to have the PCC on the phone when I was responding to the question. He put me on hold and called the department that is responsible for ATK. Maybe HAL Corporate doesn't know it either!

His response was what I originally posted. We were first with it on the Westerdam last November but at the time it was indicated that personnel needed to be trained, etc. It has turned into a slower rollout fleet-wide than originally planned. ATK was not on the Zuiderdam last month.

Maybe someone who was recently on the NADM could verify.

See post #4 for verification that ATK is on the NA. The NA was the song ship in the fleet to get it after the Westie.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

See post #4 for verification that ATK is on the NA. The NA was the song ship in the fleet to get it after the Westie.

OP was asking about the classes - not presentations. Are there now sufficient classes available to signup for?

OP was asking about the classes - not presentations. Are there now sufficient classes available to signup for?

My understanding is that the classes were available at the time ATK was set up on the ship but I could be wrong about that. I do know that class availability was dependent more on the number of 5 star Mariners who get free cooking classes as a perk. That was why I couldn't take a class on my Westie cruise.

My response to the OP was directed to the existence of America's Test Kitchen on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I attended the presentation that I mentioned, re: Salmon. I have no knowledge about classes. I had no interest in that at the time.

As I said earlier, either the December 27th or the January 6th cruise was the first such appearance of ATK in the ship's programming. The presenter emphasized this because they were still getting things organized. The new logo for ATK had yet to be attached to the wall outside the Queen's Lounge during my cruise.