NoroVirus

Mr. Muster

I carry individually wrapped handwipes (that state they kill norovirus)...

Would you please share what these handwipes are called and where you purchase them? I've seen a large container of some that claim to kill viruses, but never individually wrapped ones. I bought the large container once, but it was too heavy to pack. I tried pulling out a few, neatly folding them, and putting them in baggies, but lots of work and I never used most of them before they dried out!

Would you please share what these handwipes are called and where you purchase them? I've seen a large container of some that claim to kill viruses, but never individually wrapped ones. I bought the large container once, but it was too heavy to pack. I tried pulling out a few, neatly folding them, and putting them in baggies, but lots of work and I never used most of them before they dried out!

I'm not sure which they were referring to but here is the list of products according to the EPA that are effective against norovirus:

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2017-07/documents/20171207.listg_.pdf

We were on the July 12 sailing of the Volendam out of Vancouver to Alaska. The ship was in code red the last 2 days, and my husband and another person in our group got it the last night, bad. The third husband got a light case that night, both other wives got it the day we disembarked. I fortunately did not. I called the infirmary for my husband at about 3:30am. The staff member I talked to told me to give him Imodium for one end and Dramamine for the other. We were told to disembark on a different deck ( self-disembarking), but when we got there there was some confusion. We thought they might quarantine us, but they wanted us off as quickly as possible. We were a Wednesday to Wednesday cruise, and another ship was too, hitting the same ports different days except our overlap in Skagway. I saw on cc that ship had it also.

I'm getting the heebie-jeebies the more I read and hear!!! I'm taking all the advise given and will most certainly stop at the convenience store on our way to the port and pick up some of the suggested products to do my best and "de-bug" the room next cruise.

Toot-Toot!!!

Cheerio, Dearies!!!

A few new developments in Norovirus research may be of help.

1. There are many, many different strains of Norovirus. They tend to mutate rather quickly. But most of them have specifically mutated to be most compatible with type "O" blood. If you have type O blood and there are carriers of Norovirus in your vicinity, there is a very high chance that you will contract it - despite your best attempts to avoid it.
  2. Anglo-Saxons are the biggest percentage of the "O" type blood group. If you go on a cruise with a high number of Anglo-Saxons onboard, the odds of someone carrying Norovirus being onboard, and the odds of you contracting it, are quite high. Asians are usually type A, B, or AB. Cruises with high numbers of Asians onboard rarely have Norovirus problems.
  3. My friends and colleagues at the CDC estimate that any cruise departing from a US port will board an average of 60 pax who either have Norovirus and do not yet know it - or who have Norovirus and refuse to disclose it because they do not want to be denied boarding.
  4. There are 4 counties that typically have the highest reported Norovirus infections/outbreaks; USA, England, Germany, and Australia. It may be only coincidence, but these 4 countries are primarily Anglo-Saxon. If you take a cruise where people from these 4 countries are a high percentage of the passenger compliment, the odds of you getting ill are higher.
  5. Those of us who work in the cruise industry know all too well that there are two excellent places to contract Norovirus: the buffet and public toilets. People raised by wolves do a very good job of contaminating these areas. If you avoid them - especially for the first 48 hours doing of a cruise - the odds of being infected drop considerably.

I heard a short while ago, that the reason I'd never had NV was probably because I'm blood group A... Apart from a bad stomach illness when I was a student teacher, I've never had any similar illnesses although I've taught small children for all my working life, and wish I'd a £ for every one I've washed or changed who've had projectile vomiting in my classroom! We used to call it Winter Vomiting bug, and expected the classrooms to be emptied each winter with this illness.

• 4 months later...

I think the problem might also be the health conditions in Cuba. I was on a tour to Cuba many years ago and many people became ill with what sounds like Norovirus. Some people had to be hospitalized. It was my first experience traveling outside Canada and I think that I wasn't aware that standards in third world or developing countries are not the same as here.

I think I may have had it in NCL Sky to Cuba....that or food poisoning. It hit me in the middle of the night of Day 2 (after enjoying Havana for the two days--TBTG!!! And t hit hard!!! Night sweats turned to chills and back and forth all night long. Spent as much time in the loo as I did in bed!!! I wanted to die! It was on it's way back to wherever it came from by evening the next day. I just wonder if it was NoroVirus or not and what to do to avoid it in the future if it was!

Toot-Toot!

Hello Dearies!!!

What has been peoples' experiences with NoroVirus on cruise ships? What are the symptoms? How do the cruise lines handle outbreaks? How do cruise lines try and combat this CVBK (Cruise Vacation Buzz Kill) virus? Does elective cruise insurance cover if you get sick?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, experiences, and expert recommendations/advise!

Toot-Toot!

Cheerio, Dearies clear.png?emoji-blowkiss-1700

Though it won't address all the related possible transmitters of illness, one thing we will never do is cruise on ships with self-served buffets - just way too gross and unhygienic.

Of course, we take all the normal precautions including constant hand washing, wiping surfaces down with appropriately treated disposables (including the gym equipment before and after use), etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the problem might also be the health conditions in Cuba. I was on a tour to Cuba many years ago and many people became ill with what sounds like Norovirus. Some people had to be hospitalized. It was my first experience traveling outside Canada and I think that I wasn't aware that standards in third world or developing countries are not the same as here.

Seriously :rolleyes:

I got it on a cruise leaving from Montreal ..we got off in N.S. as DH was having a gallbladder attack

we flew home & by 2 am I was struck down with NORO

Was no where near Cuba & not heard Canada was a 3rd world country

Perhaps people got food poisoning which has the same symptoms

Maybe do some reading on NORO & how it is spread