Carnival got me!

fla gang

I am sorry that you think I am bashing the cruise line, that is not my intent at all. I feel that all companies should respect both the letter and spirit of the law. I like Carnival, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to give them a pass if I feel that they are doing something wrong. (And speaking of hotels weren't some Florida hotels taken to task for not disclosing some daily fee to the customer at the point of sale, i.e. when the reservation was made?)

But legally speaking, one does not have to respect the spirit of the law, just the letter of the law which is why laws are written. While I agree that folks should respect the spirit of a law as well, they are not required to just as many folks here do not even respect the letter of the law (rules), much less the spirit of them when it comes to Carnival's policies. Kind of hard to expect perfection from one while turning a blind eye to the other, isn't it?

But legally speaking, one does not have to respect the spirit of the law, just the letter of the law which is why laws are written. While I agree that folks should respect the spirit of a law as well, they are not required to just as many folks here do not even respect the letter of the law (rules), much less the spirit of them when it comes to Carnival's policies. Kind of hard to expect perfection from one while turning a blind eye to the other, isn't it?

Policy is not law. Policy allows for exceptions at the discretion of management.

NCL Sunward 1974

NCL Starward 1978

Costa Daphne 1982

Carnival Triumph 2001

Carnival Conquests 2005

Carnival Magic 2014

True that they don't come right out at the time of quoting the requested lowest price price with the full ES terms and conditions.

But had you actually completed the booking with the agent, you would have been advised of the non-refundability in a scripted recap of your reservation #, the cabin #, the ship and sail date and the itinerary.... at which point if you were not comfortable with the ES terms you could then ask for a different price program or cancel the reservation.

All 3 bookings were made with an agent and they never once mentioned the rate type, penalties, refund, anything, I had to prompt them about rate type, past guest etc.

Call them up yourself, don't take my word, they won't mention ES, penalties, etc.

Policy is not law. Policy allows for exceptions at the discretion of management.

NCL Sunward 1974

NCL Starward 1978

Costa Daphne 1982

Carnival Triumph 2001

Carnival Conquests 2005

Carnival Magic 2014

No different than law (police officers are allowed to issue a warning instead of a ticket). But that completely misses the point I was trying to make that people expect a company to respect not just the letter of the law (rule) but the spirit as well whereas many (not all) people rarely respect the letter of the law (rule) much less the spirit and yet are usually the first ones to complain about the company doing exactly what they do themselves.

All 3 bookings were made with an agent and they never once mentioned the rate type, penalties, refund, anything, I had to prompt them about rate type, past guest etc.

Call them up yourself, don't take my word, they won't mention ES, penalties, etc.

My PVP mentions it every time even though I've told her time and time again that I already know. Don't know what the regular CSR's do as I haven't used one in probably 10 years. But to me, that still doesn't stop a cruise newbie from asking "are there any penalties if I decide to cancel" even though IMO they should already know the answer because it is so widely available on various TA sites and Carnival itself. People seriously need to become responsible and understand what they are buying before they buy instead of complaining after they buy. I see it in the timeshare world nearly every day.

My PVP mentions it every time even though I've told her time and time again that I already know. Don't know what the regular CSR's do as I haven't used one in probably 10 years. But to me, that still doesn't stop a cruise newbie from asking "are there any penalties if I decide to cancel" even though IMO they should already know the answer because it is so widely available on various TA sites and Carnival itself. People seriously need to become responsible and understand what they are buying before they buy instead of complaining after they buy. I see it in the timeshare world nearly every day.

Is it really so hard to just say that a company should disclose this information as good practice?

Is it really so hard to just say that a company should disclose this information as good practice?

But it is disclosed. I found mine on my receipt. I assume (but do not know) that you get the same receipt whether you book online or over the phone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But it is disclosed. I found mine on my receipt. I assume (but do not know) that you get the same receipt whether you book online or over the phone.

If you call the toll free number to book a cruise with a phone rep they will not disclose this information to you. I did not say anything about the receipt you get after when it is too late to do anything about it.

Statements made after payment are not disclosures! Disclosures are made prior to purchase. Presumably your receipt indicates a non-refundable payment has been made. Notice the tense.

It IS already disclosed and I have stated so. Is it really so hard to expect people to ask questions and do their own due diligence when spending a large amount of their own hard earned cash or does everyone these days have to be spoon fed like a baby?

If you call the toll free number to book a cruise with a phone rep they will not disclose this information to you. I did not say anything about the receipt you get after when it is too late to do anything about it.

Unless you have access to every conversation made by a Carnival rep you truly have no idea what statements are made in all of those phone conversations. Please stop trying to spread your opinion as if it were the gospel or factual.

My experiences are not "opinions". They are my factual experiences all in 2017 with 3 bookings. For a word splitter that's a very interesting choice of word you selected. But, as I said earlier, don't take my word, call the toll free number and get a CSR for yourself and you will find out. They do not disclose the fact that you are booking a rate with cancellation penalties unless you specifically ask. I think that's not customer friendly, and I'm 100% on customers side in these situations. I don't only think some companies should have friendly and fair business practices, this applies to all.

In these cases I find a TA to be much better at disclosure than when booking direct. I've had similar experience with Royal Caribbean on direct bookings with their new NRD policies; they do not come out and tell you in a clear, direct manner that would indicate respect for their customer.

Again, my experiences. You can verify on your own, I encourage you to do so. Call the Carnival toll free number and get a CSR and go all the way right up to payment and I'll bet dollars to donuts they do not mention cancellation penalties or alternative rate codes. You don't have to believe me, but 10 minutes of your time should satisfy your curiosity on the matter.

My experiences are not "opinions". They are my factual experiences all in 2017 with 3 bookings. For a word splitter that's a very interesting choice of word you selected. But, as I said earlier, don't take my word, call the toll free number and get a CSR for yourself and you will find out. They do not disclose the fact that you are booking a rate with cancellation penalties unless you specifically ask. I think that's not customer friendly, and I'm 100% on customers side in these situations. I don't only think some companies should have friendly and fair business practices, this applies to all.

In these cases I find a TA to be much better at disclosure than when booking direct. I've had similar experience with Royal Caribbean on direct bookings with their new NRD policies; they do not come out and tell you in a clear, direct manner that would indicate respect for their customer.

Again, my experiences. You can verify on your own, I encourage you to do so. Call the Carnival toll free number and get a CSR and go all the way right up to payment and I'll bet dollars to donuts they do not mention cancellation penalties or alternative rate codes. You don't have to believe me, but 10 minutes of your time should satisfy your curiosity on the matter.

You experiences are 3 calls out of millions and yet you claim emphatically that if the 800 number is called they will not give out the information. You 3 calls hardy represents the millions of calls made or the information provided in those other calls and therefore you have no data to support such a claim.

I have no need to call a CSR because 1) I have a PVP and more importantly 2) I did my due diligence and read almost everything I could on the website before booking my first cruise so I would know what I was getting into before spending my money and 3) my one experience with a CSR would still not give me the right to condemn an entire group of people if I did indeed have a bad rep.

You experiences are 3 calls out of millions and yet you claim emphatically that if the 800 number is called they will not give out the information. You 3 calls hardy represents the millions of calls made or the information provided in those other calls and therefore you have no data to support such a claim.

I have no need to call a CSR because 1) I have a PVP and more importantly 2) I did my due diligence and read almost everything I could on the website before booking my first cruise so I would know what I was getting into before spending my money and 3) my one experience with a CSR would still not give me the right to condemn an entire group of people if I did indeed have a bad rep.

Should a company, any company, deal with customers in a direct and clear to understand way, or not? A simple yes or no is sufficient for the answer.

Should a company, any company, deal with customers in a direct and clear to understand way, or not? A simple yes or no is sufficient for the answer.

Yes. And IMO it doesn't get any clearer than this. https://www.carnival.com/cruise-deals/early-saver/terms.aspx

P.S. - This isn't a court of law and you are not a lawyer nor are you my wife so I'll respond anyway I so choose. ;)

I would amend this to You need a good TA.

Mine is and I dread the day he retires.

I agree. Mine talked me out of an early saver in favor of a past guest (with perks from her) for just a few dollars more. I was so glad I took her advice, because I ended up having to cancel unexpectedly and it was fully refunded.

So I called Carnival and booked two inside cabins. Paid the $500 per cabin, only to have something come up a couple of weeks later that was not going to allow me to go. I called to Cancel the two cabins and Carnival said you lose $50 per person and we can hold the rest of your $500 per cabin for a future cruise. So they never told me when I booked these cabins that they were early saver and non refundable. When I printed the confirmation I never knew I had to read every bit of the fine on the ticket contract all the way to the bottom. That wouldn't have mattered because they had my money end of discussion! So what did I do wrong?
I find it interesting that as a member of this forum since 2002 that you did not realize that there were a multiple of categories of rates and did not take a moment to ask questions.

This is not the first post about how a person did not take the time or responsibility to confirm the rate, qualifications as well as penalties. So easy to blame others and great drama.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Yes, and Carnival sold the OP exactly what she wanted, the most economical rate. It is the OP'S responsibility to understand and ask questions if they are unaware, what they have committed to. If the OP had not been a member of this forum for over 15 years, I would have more empathy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

I'm pretty consistent in my stand that people should respect and abide by the cruise line's policies so I don't believe that portion of your response pertains to me (although I do see how it could pertain to some). I still maintain that if a CSR in a telephone conversation with a customer says "if you cancel this booking there is a $50 pp fee" without discussing the fact that the remainder of the deposit is also non-refundable but is held for a future cruise credit then that conversation violates the letter of the law. Whether or not someone actually makes an issue of it is a different matter entirely (and I suspect that if they did that Carnival would just refund the entire deposit rather than wasting time litigating, but that is just a guess). As for the OP he did state that he received an email confirmation that presumably told him which rate he was booked under and what the terms and conditions are, so the presumption is that CCL did meet it's burden. With that said if the customer immediately called to cancel the booking and was not able to then that would be another matter entirely.

NCL Sunward 1974

NCL Starward 1978

Costa Daphne 1982

Carnival Triumph 2001

Carnival Conquests 2005

Carnival Magic 2014

Policy allows for exceptions at the discretion of management, but not the customer.:)

So I called Carnival and booked two inside cabins. Paid the $500 per cabin, only to have something come up a couple of weeks later that was not going to allow me to go. I called to Cancel the two cabins and Carnival said you lose $50 per person and we can hold the rest of your $500 per cabin for a future cruise. So they never told me when I booked these cabins that they were early saver and non refundable. When I printed the confirmation I never knew I had to read every bit of the fine on the ticket contract all the way to the bottom. That wouldn't have mattered because they had my money end of discussion! So what did I do wrong?

You could always ask to have your call "pulled" for them to review. If the agent was to have been more detailed in the explanation of the rate you booked, they may then change how they are handling your cancellation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

That is their job, while we may get some argument from people saying they want to be empowered to "own" their booking, the facts (especially in this case) are that it costs nothing (sometimes cheaper), they are experts at what they do, and it would be their job to fully explains the benefits and risks tied to early saver (or any other plan).

Not all TA's cost nothing. If you live in a rural area you are probably going to pay. It cost me almost $100 to book plane tickets.