Sign and sail card

dave&micki

And may we ask how you know this to be factual and true??

Buddy, the real answer is "No one is any more likely to charge something to your cabin, or get in your cabin". You and others who are concerned about these things happening, can not be told "It will never happen". However, it could happen now. There is no more exposure then currently exist. If there is a charge that is not yours, you will dispute it. If you think your S&S has been used or is missing, you will get a new one, same as if you lost a card.

The best evidence I can give you that it is no more dangerous, is Carnival is doing it. A lot of people on here have a lot of experience, and offer interesting discussion. It is nothing compared to the conversation, and scrutiny that the risk management people at Carnival would put into determining if this increased their exposure. All the concerns that you and others have, plus a lot not mentioned, I'm certain were raised and discussed. If Carnival lawyers or accountants came up with one reason that this would increase their risk for lawsuit, or lost revenue, it would not be in place.

Remember that a cruise ship is a closed society. I'm pretty sure they have cameras in all corridors, they have pictures of everyone on board to match the video to, no one can get on or off with out a record of it. It isn't like a hotel, where someone can wander in, do something and leave without anyone knowing who they are. The two most important words, "Reasonable Care". You do not do anything in business that in pacts those two words, unless you like being in court.

The best evidence I can give you that it is no more dangerous, is Carnival is doing it.
This is critical: No one but the cruise line has access to any valid indications of the reality, so our best and only insight into the matter is what the cruise line does. That goes for many things: Their marketing efforts, the services they discontinue, the way they staff their ships, etc. Just because we don't like what we see them doing does not mean that what they're doing isn't the very best information about what their research proved that our actual behaviors are in response to such changes. Edited by bUU

We experienced this new system on our 7/22 cruise on the Sensation and it worked just fine. We're Platinum, and our cards were in the mailbox as soon as we arrived at our cabin after boarding. There were a couple of people that we saw walk down to their cabins, see no card and then walk away. I hope that it helped the stewards get things done with less of a crowd.

As far as purchases without having a S&S card in hand - we saw people at the Atrium Bar on the second leg of our B2B that presented their boarding passes to buy a drink. They were scanned easily and I didn't notice anyone having a problem (I know this is just a small sample/observation).

I was a little unsure before this cruise, but in my experience it worked just fine. It was a bogey-man-free process for us :)

I always mention this fact whenever this subject comes up:

Carnival used to place excursion tickets in the mailboxes when I first started cruising. I never had an excursion ticket "stolen" or misplaced.

Don't they still? The last Carnival excursion my family took was on the Conquest and DS took the dune buggy tour in Grand Turk. It was a few years ago, though. Tickets were in an envelope in our mailbox.

Why would someone want a card that does not work for them? I for one, like to think people are honest. you are on cruise ship not in the hood.

You don't just get dishonest people in the "hood". They come in all shapes, sizes and ethnic backgrounds. No my card was not tampered with on my recent cruise. If you think it has been tampered with just go to guest services and get a new one.

Suppose some one made a deal with an unscrupulous employee and got a hold of an envelope that the s& cards are delivered in during their cruise. Then they go to Walmart and buy an inexpensive large rolling bag. I forgot to mention, they are small for an adult. So now they go to the port and during the hectic check in, they steal a luggage tag. Then they attach the luggage tag and zip them self into the suitcase, being careful not to have any liquids or surge protectors with them. The guy running the xray is distracted with all the smuggled alcohol popping up, and misses the homunculus. Now they are loaded as luggage. Once on board they exit the suitcase. They take someones S&S card form the envelope, and let them self into a cabin. They reseal the keys into one of the new envelope's they got from the unscrupulous employee, and return them to the mail slot. Now they hide in the closet with the trashcan or ice bucket. When the passenger comes in the door, WHAM, they are hit in the head with the trashcan. And that is just how easy it is for putting s&s cards in the mail slot to lead to an attack.

Oh and this is only one method, and does not even include the simpler one where you are attacked and replaced by your own clone, created by Carnival scientist after getting your DNA from a cup or glass in the Priority Boarding Lounge. I mean come on, you know they are going after Diamonds first.

OMG! This is exactly what happened to my best friend's wife's cousin's aunt's next door neighbor's dentist's housekeeper's mailman on their last cruise! The paranoid people are right!

This was the system used on our December 2016 Valor cruise and it wasn't a problem at all. As soon as we were able, we went to our room and our S&S cards were in a sealed envelope in the cubby next to our door. We'd already had a couple drinks on the ship before, using our boarding pass without issue.