Pro-rated refund of Drinks Package while onboard?

gabrca

Hi All,

I read on RCCLs website that whilst onboard you can choose to cancel your beverage package and receive a pro-rated refund in the form of OBC, with any drinks consumed charged at full price.

The wording:

"Any orders canceled up to two days before the sail date are 100% refundable. Once onboard, refunds will be credited to the guest's folio account. Any partially consumed portion of the package will be charged at full price."

Can anyone confirm this is the case ... If by say day 5, I've only consumed $250 in drinks, I could cancel for a refund of the remaining amount? Would this work on the last day?

Cheers,

Gabrca

Once the cruise starts, I believe they will only let you cancel in the first day or so. They will refund the full amount of the package and charge you individually for all drinks ordered.

Thanks for the advice, seems like a good way to test the waters of the drink package for the first couple of days before deciding. That is, if the FAQ is to be believed, and it is possible.

Don't forget that your first 2 days you are on the ship the entire day (or most of boarding day) and what you consume on those days may not be indicative of what you would consume on port days.

They'll refund you the daily price of the package, not the difference between what you've drunk and what you paid. So if you only had 3 drinks a day and decide to just pay cash for them for the remaining days, they will refund you those days. You're still on the hook for the whole day price for the days you had 3 drinks.

They'll refund you the daily price of the package, not the difference between what you've drunk and what you paid. So if you only had 3 drinks a day and decide to just pay cash for them for the remaining days, they will refund you those days. You're still on the hook for the whole day price for the days you had 3 drinks.

Perhaps the policy has changed, but that is different than what I understood.

I thought they would refund the entire cost of the package (all days) and then charge individually for all drinks ordered.

This is the current FAQ entry, and the wording has changed such that I don't know what they are saying (as usual:rolleyes:):

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/beverage-package-cancellation-policy

'Partially consumed portion' to me means days you had a drink on, so if you had a specialty coffee on the morning you are trying to cancel, you're going to have to pay that day too. But I've never done it so I could be wrong!

Perhaps the policy has changed, but that is different than what I understood.

I thought they would refund the entire cost of the package (all days) and then charge individually for all drinks ordered.

This is the current FAQ entry, and the wording has changed such that I don't know what they are saying (as usual:rolleyes:):

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/beverage-package-cancellation-policy

Yeah this is what the FAQ implies. I'd call, but sure I'd get three different answers :')

If anyone else has a personal anecdote, I'd be interested!

• 2 weeks later...
'Partially consumed portion' to me means days you had a drink on, so if you had a specialty coffee on the morning you are trying to cancel, you're going to have to pay that day too. But I've never done it so I could be wrong!

Then why would they charge "full price" for any drinks consumed?????

If you don't know...

Break even on the package is 5-8 drinks per day. If you will drink less than 7 per day cancel the package. For some the 7 drinks per day on port days might be too many..

It depends.

I have the Drink and Voom package for $51 a day for an upcoming cruise.

Voom for one device is $14 a day, so I am paying less than $40 a day for drinks. So it seems more like 3 - 4 drink break even.

Just received a reply - Makes sense and seems fair

Hope all is well. The drink package can refunded the deadline is day 3 of the cruise and what they do they will refund the pacakge and charge for the days you use it

It depends.

I have the Drink and Voom package for $51 a day for an upcoming cruise.

Voom for one device is $14 a day, so I am paying less than $40 a day for drinks. So it seems more like 3 - 4 drink break even.

Got the same price for our upcoming Allure cruise in October. When I did the math it was a no brainer... 4 drinks a day is easy especially when specialty coffees and bottled water is included.

Got the same price for our upcoming Allure cruise in October. When I did the math it was a no brainer... 4 drinks a day is easy especially when specialty coffees and bottled water is included.

And fresh squeezed juice.

So juice and coffee with breakfast. Grab a couple bottles of water a couple times a day.

Maybe an afternoon beer at the pool.

Glass of wine at dinner (have a suite booked so before dinner drink is taken care of). After dinner espresso.

After dinner/evening drink or two.

EASY.

Even port days, it will be doable.

Seems easier to "pay as you go" for the 1st couple days, and if you find you're drinking more than you thought, THEN buy the package! As long as there are 4 days left, you can do that!

It depends. With the package I will do the juice and coffees. Without the package, I would probably not do these, so the pay-as-you-go would look low.

At $50 plus, maybe. At $60 or $70 probably not.