Suite Sun Deck Evening Cigar Lounge

BearJew

Will be on the Oasis of the Seas next month and I have read mixed posts regarding where cigars can be smoked on board. It seems that in the past the Suite Sun deck above the Solarium on deck 17 allowed any guest to smoke cigars after 7 pm. I am having difficulty figuring out if this is still the case now. This would seem like the best option for me to enjoy a cigar and drink in a comfortable setting. If anyone can confirm/refute this, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Will be on the Oasis of the Seas next month and I have read mixed posts regarding where cigars can be smoked on board. It seems that in the past the Suite Sun deck above the Solarium on deck 17 allowed any guest to smoke cigars after 7 pm. I am having difficulty figuring out if this is still the case now. This would seem like the best option for me to enjoy a cigar and drink in a comfortable setting. If anyone can confirm/refute this, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

No smoking on deck 17. The only outside smoking is the port side of decks 15 and 16.

As I recall they did cigar smoking gatherings at the pool bar each night around 8:00 PM. I planned to go a couple of times but never made it. It will be listed in the compass. Never at the suite sun deck bar, which usually closed around 5:00 PM anyway.

• 9 months later...

I've said this before, so forgive me if you already read it. I think the outdoor options Royal has for cigar smoking are far from ideal. Unless the ship is not moving, of moving very slowly, you need a place to smoke out of the wind so the cigar does not burn too hot.

I'm not sure I have a realistic solution to the problem. For me, I just don't plan on cigars in the evening unless the ship has a indoor lounge.

No smoking on deck 17. The only outside smoking is the port side of decks 15 and 16.

Bob, I was just b2b on Allure and they did allow smoking - with ashtrays galore - on the side of the suite sun deck with the bar. It was also allowed in the same area on Oasis in January. This was during the day. I didn't go up there at night.

Bob, I was just b2b on Allure and they did allow smoking - with ashtrays galore - on the side of the suite sun deck with the bar. It was also allowed in the same area on Oasis in January. This was during the day. I didn't go up there at night.

Thanks for the update. I did not see smoking up there on Oasis last June.

Thanks for the update. I did not see smoking up there on Oasis last June.

We also spent two weeks on Allure in March, spent a lot of time on suite sun deck and never once saw anyone smoking anything there.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, they'll replace it with a big money maker like a game room!!! I just don't see their logic!!!

Elvis

They replaced the game room with the Suite Lounge, so I guess they had to put the game room someplace.

They replaced the game room with the Suite Lounge, so I guess they had to put the game room someplace.

But a game room makes no money for the line. A cigar lounge does! It just doesn't make sense!

Elvis

But a game room makes no money for the line. A cigar lounge does! It just doesn't make sense!

Elvis

I agree, the cigar lounge probably did make some money, but I think they felt that the installation of the Suite Lounge was more important to the bottom line than the cigar lounge, and they didn't want to give up the card/game venues.

I agree, the cigar lounge probably did make some money, but I think they felt that the installation of the Suite Lounge was more important to the bottom line than the cigar lounge, and they didn't want to give up the card/game venues.

Bob, I was on Adventure of the Seas, as we discussed on other topics, last late November when it still sailed out of San Juan and I can attest that there was no longer a Connossieur's Club on deck 5 which had been replaced by the Game Room. BTW, the Suite Lounge was still unfinished and the area was sort of "fallow" pending the drydock that happened earlier this year. But I can attest - and maybe "Cigar King (never got real name)" can confirm this since he sailed one week after we did - that room was not occupied at any time I visited it. And I visited it at least four time during the cruise, usually stopping by after dinner, just to see if anyone was in it. Totally empty. IMO, Royal may have done the politically or environmentally correct thing - although my memory of the air filtration systems on the Mariner and Voyager was that no smoke ever left the room and there was actually very little smoke in the room notwithstanding those enjoying cigars in it - but what a waste of space! At some point, I suspect management will re-look that and decide to do something else besides a card/game room.

FWIW, I know maybe 1/100th what Cigar King knows in terms of cigar smoking and quality, but I have good memories of meeting great folks, enjoying a cigar or two and also a sip of Whisky and Cognac sold at that bar (BTW, the bar was still there as was the humidor but there was nothing in either on AOS), watching March Madness on Mariner and other sports on Voyager. This was, BTW, when both of those were sailing out of Galveston.

Also, we were on Allure in March 2013 and the cigar smoking area really was on the Suites Deck, Deck 17, but only after dark. It was very windy, couldn't even light the darn thing, and the bar closed at 2300 and wasn't particularly amiable or happy to see us there. Oh, and by "us" I mean four folks. Since I was in Crown Loft and had the "gold card," we could go up there at any time anyway, but I think of the four on the deck that evening, all of us were in suites. So I am not surprised management decided to move it IF it did (based on some other entries to this thread).

All in all, not sure that killing the Connossieur's Club was such a great decision. And our next voyage is in October on Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston and the last I checked, the Club was still in operation on that vessel. But perhaps its time is also numbered as you noted.

Just my thoughts, Sir! :D

VR,

T Lex

Edited by TLex
Autocorrect changed the possessive "its" to the contraction "it's." Fixing that.

I highly dislike the aroma of a cigar but agree with all of you that there should be some place on the ship that you can smoke cigars in comfort. We wandered into the cigar lounge on one of the ships (no one was in there) and were impressed by the space....it seemed perfect for the purpose. I am sorry that you all have lost those spaces.

Bob, I was on Adventure of the Seas, as we discussed on other topics, last late November when it still sailed out of San Juan and I can attest that there was no longer a Connossieur's Club on deck 5 which had been replaced by the Game Room. BTW, the Suite Lounge was still unfinished and the area was sort of "fallow" pending the drydock that happened earlier this year. But I can attest - and maybe "Cigar King (never got real name)" can confirm this since he sailed one week after we did - that room was not occupied at any time I visited it.

My experience is as above. The new game room is basically unused space. There might be a game or two going on, but, the numbers are significantly smaller than when the space was a cigar lounge.

Just my thoughts, Sir! :D

VR,

T Lex

Even though I do not smoke and generally try to stay away from cigarette smoke, I think they should have kept the cigar lounges on Voyager/Freedom class ships. I never smelled any smoke from those venues and it gave the cigar smokers a place out of the wind to enjoy their cigars without any impact to others. Now they have to be outside, where it negatively affects both their experience and that of non-smokers too.

I don't smoke cigarettes, but I do enjoy a cigar and a port/cognac occasionally. I recall the lounge on Freedom with fondness, and quite enjoyed the conversation there last time we sailed her. Our last cruise was on Oasis, and I was dismayed to learn there was no cigar lounge. I get it, but I agree with the above posters; it wasn't a great decision by RCCL, if we're judging by "Guest Experience" metrics. I'm sure they've managed to wrangle a few more dollars out of the space, but that doesn't mean it was the best decision.