Transfer in Anchorage

99Cruiser

I posted this in the Alaska section but will also post here and see if I can get assistance

I'm flying into Anchorage on a redeye and land around 4AM and paid for a Princess transfer to Whitter. I've read it takes between an hour and half and two hours to get from Anchorage to Whitter and since we don't board until early afternoon does anyone know what Princess does for their passengers? Will they take us early and we just sit around the port until it's time to board? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

menupop.gif[/size]22]I posted this in the Alaska section but will also post here and see if I can get assistance

I'm flying into Anchorage on a redeye and land around 4AM and paid for a Princess transfer to Whitter. I've read it takes between an hour and half and two hours to get from Anchorage to Whitter and since we don't board until early afternoon does anyone know what Princess does for their passengers? Will they take us early and we just sit around the port until it's time to board? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No they will not take you early, you will most likely be at the airport until they are ready to leave.

You will usually arrive at the port within an hour of boarding.

If you wanted to arrange a private transfer, and go earlier to Whittier, perhaps you might like to go out on a glacier cruise that leaves right next door to the ship. It is a wonderful experience to get truly up and personal, and a great introduction to what you will see. There is not much open at 0400 at the airport so you would just have to sit there....anyway that you could go a day early? Anchorage has quite a bit to offer passengers. Most of the glacier cruises leave between 11 and noon and will be back in time. When leaving Whittier, most of the ships do not leave till 8 or 9 PM.....makes is a long day....the reason is that they have to wait for the train coming from Denali which is a long trip....Train usually comes just before departure.

anyway that you could go a day early?
I wish there was a way to go early but unfortunately work won't allow it. It was hard enough to get 1 week for the cruise. I will be working until 6:30PM, go home and change out of the work clothes, throw in last minute stuff, get a bite to eat and head to the airport. The one plus is I can sleep on planes so should get a decent night sleep.

When we did this trip, we took the train from Anchorage and arrived with plenty of time to do the glacier tour before we boarded the ship. They time their tours to the train arrival. When we got back we still had time to wander around "town"

When we did this trip, we took the train from Anchorage and arrived with plenty of time to do the glacier tour before we boarded the ship. They time their tours to the train arrival. When we got back we still had time to wander around "town"

I agree! Check out the train! You hand them your luggage in Anchorage and don't see it again until it's in your cabin.

Train pulls up in front of the terminal/ship. $83pp

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-a-train/schedules

I agree! Check out the train! You hand them your luggage in Anchorage and don't see it again until it's in your cabin.

Train pulls up in front of the terminal/ship. $83pp

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-a-train/schedules

Luggage was going to be my question. Does Alaska railroad take your luggage to the ship or do you have to drop it off?

Luggage was going to be my question. Does Alaska railroad take your luggage to the ship or do you have to drop it off?

You give it to them in Anchorage and they give it to the porters at the ship.

The train pulls right up next to the terminal/ship.

You don't see it after Anchorage.......until it arrives in your cabin.

Take the train.

I don't think Princess runs their transfers early?

Simple and easy and fun to take the train.

It exists to handle Princess cruise passengers... That is what they do.

And, for readers who have not done this before, the train will get you there early enough to board a smaller boat tour of Prince William Sound and the glaciers at College Fjord. Highly recommend!

You give it to them in Anchorage and they give it to the porters at the ship.

The train pulls right up next to the terminal/ship.

You don't see it after Anchorage.......until it arrives in your cabin.

Thank you for the information, I booked the train today. There were only 8 seats available and I took 4 of them.

I really appreciate Cruise Critic and the information you can get here on the boards

Thank you for the information, I booked the train today. There were only 8 seats available and I took 4 of them.

I really appreciate Cruise Critic and the information you can get here on the boards

Good! After your long day and night, the train will be a nice, relaxing mode of transport. The Alaska Railroad cars have wonderful legroom, and the scenery is beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's more than an hour. I'd book bus transport a taxi would be pretty expensive plus the toll through the tunnel. Check the Alaska board for recommendations on bus companies. I got a discount for booking early. I can't remember the name...AC tours maybe? It was very efficient and comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good call. We have taken the morning train on 2 cruises from Whittier and will next summer as well.

If I recall correctly, we had to arrive at the train station around 7:00amish. Maybe 7:30. By the time you get your luggage at the airport, you'll probably just take a quick catnap (or read) for a few hours and then grab a taxi to the train station. They will have a large white tent covered area next to the depot. Go inside to the Princess podium. They'll take your bags and the next time you will see them is in your stateroom. I was nervous the first time I did this because it wasn't through a Princess transfer or land tour, I had booked direct with Alaska Rail. But lo and behold, it all worked out exactly the same! Then go inside and check in for the train where they will give you the official train boarding pass and seat assignments. Then enjoy some pictures, the gift shop, little coffee/danish place, some fresh air and board your train when it arrives. Do go inside shortly after the train arrives, in case you're chilling around outside. They make announcements for boarding and you can't hear the announcements from outside.

If you weren't able to nap at the airport, I'd do my best to stay awake on the train. There might be a few "slow" spots, but for the most part it is very scenic and they have some commentary especially if they see wildlife.

When you get off the train in Whittier you have 2 options. 1. Check-in and board the ship or 2. Check-in and get your sea pass and then head over to one of the 2 different glacier tours. There really isn't much to see or do in Whittier. We took a walk around once. Took us about 15 minutes. Other than the hotel and a local shop (which is where the Avis car rental counter is at the back of the shop), there isn't anything to "visit" that I noticed.

Only you know how tired you might be after working all day and then the long flights to Anchorage + waiting for the train, etc. If it were me, I'd board the ship and take a nice nap in my cabin. The ship is VERY quiet at that time as most people are still on other transfers and won't board for several hours (some trickle in, but nothing like it is when the later motor coaches and train show up in the late afternoon/early evening). At that point, you can be well rested and ready for the evening and hopefully a clear sail away.

Of course, the glacier tours are great on the sound. But if you think you'll be in a haze the whole time, I'd just get myself set up for the evening and back on schedule.

Edited to add: Now that I think about it, the early 7:00am train arrival was when we took the train to Denali. I think the Whittier train is a little later, but not much. Maybe an 8:00-8:15am arrival time. I'm sure it's listed on your reservation of what time to be there. I was surprised of how much earlier they wanted us there to check-in then when the train left.

Edited by reney313
Need to provide clarification

• 4 months later...

SORRY to bring up an old thread - so many of my questions were answered here, but I just have a few more.

Does Princess ever offer these train transfers officially to people not on the land cruise?

I am all ready to do the train into Whittier morning of my cruise - but am still a little nervous about slapping my princess luggage tag on and hoping it shows up. I just get in line in front of the little white tent I hear about, and follow the crowd? Will they be able to tell that I wasn't on the land cruise?

Also - if I have just one little 6 pack of soda that I have tagged - are they willing to take that at this drop site?

Thanks!!