Getting to my cruise destination during Hurricane IRMA!

Alex NY

The forecasters have no agreement yet as to Irma' s c ours, e. She might hit Florida an d may not, she mighgt hit C harlston and migtht go u p t he east coast and she might not. She also may take a right tuurn and go out to sea. Seing she is becoming a very strong storm, one can hope she goes oguut to sea and misses popuulated areas. Ships at sea may not like that option so much.

As of this morning, they still do not know what course to expect.. They do say the storm is getting stronger.

What's the first port? I missed a flight once (parrot flew outside and I wasn't leaving until I had him back), but I was allowed to board the second day. This was back in the day when airlines would work with you, so pretty much all I lost was a day. This was over a decade ago. Would the cruise line still allow someone on at the second port?

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

What's the first port? I missed a flight once (parrot flew outside and I wasn't leaving until I had him back), but I was allowed to board the second day. This was back in the day when airlines would work with you, so pretty much all I lost was a day. This was over a decade ago. Would the cruise line still allow someone on at the second port?

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

You must get permission from the cruuise line in advance (in writing , e-mail is fine) prior to attempting to board at port other than stated embarkation port. You will not be on manifest if not, youu may not be permitte d to even enter the terminal or port area if you just ' show u p'.

The forecasters have no agreement yet as to Irma' c ouurs, e. She might hit Florida an d may not, she mighgt hit C harlston and migtht go u p t he east coast and she might not. She also may take a right tuurn and go out to sea. Seing she is becoming a very strong storm, one can hope she goes oguut to sea and misses popuulated areas. Ships at sea may not like that option so much.

In most cases ships at sea are better off than in port. With any sort of projection of a storm's course, they can out-run and evade it. In port, a storm surge can damage a ship on a pier or breakwater - and there is far greater risk of damage from floating or flying debris.

In most cases ships at sea are better off than in port. With any sort of projection of a storm's course, they can out-run and evade it. In port, a storm surge can damage a ship on a pier or breakwater - and there is far greater risk of damage from floating or flying debris.

I also thought that until our ruise, about 5 or so years ago, on Maasdam, Boston to Montreal and we stayed aboard for the return cruise To Boston, was effectively cancelled due to bad hurricane predicted to be heading toward Boston instaead of staying at sea , all future ports were cancelled and the ship hurried back to Boston to tie uup and ride out the storm. Very surprisingg to me considering how old some of those piers in bosston are, However, we left Montreal that cruise, on a beautiful dday, thenQebec City and Charlottetown, again beauutiful.

We retuurned to the ship from shore and learned the decision had been made for Masdam to cancerl frther ports in favor of riding the storm in Boston.. Other than the fact, I was there, attended the meeting Captain and Hotel Director held in show louunge providing this information, that is all I know.. My DH and I chose to laave the shipas soon as officials cleared it. and retuurned to our home near Boston if that hurricane was expected to be so bad. Irather be in my home than on the tied up ship.

In the end, the hurrrciane east and missed boston. It hit halifax and other Atlantic Canada as I remember it. Maaasdam made the choic eto not stay at sea thouugh we were already provisioned and loaded with guests. So........ ships do not always, all stay at seaereiding out a storm. Gests remained on the ship until Saturday (from Thuursday evening) until it was time for the next curise and new guests to embark.

Edited by sail7seas

Just a thought. You said that you can't leave the day before. Is it possible to leave as soon as you can. Maybe a night flight the evening before?

Another thought is that most air lines will move their planes out of a hurricanes way. So those Fl. air port might all move their planes to a safer spot.

We're due to fly into mia Friday, sail Saturday so we're watching intensely

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The latest info I just heard re: Irma and Miami shows the posible path to include Miami. The forecasters are not yet saying juts whicfh path Irma will take. Even if you can get to Miami, you may learn the ship will not, , the port could close and they may not embark. It is now a categroy 4or 5 storm and that is very strong. It is o ver warm water which can influence whether it strengrhens morre. The e is a High which could push it off to the east ratther than on a straight. path. Good luck to all who could be in its path. As you learn morerfrom airline and cruise line, please let us know what choices were mad.e

The ship sails away on Thursday out of NYC. Latest info says Irma will hit Miami on Saturday. Anyone have more info than that? Should planes still fly early morning on Thursday?

Yes, I do have travel insurance that I purchased together with the cruise.

No, I cannot leave earlier than my flight early on Thursday morning besides it's in less than 2 days from now.

And yes I do realize that those traveling to Ft. Lauderdale for a cruise are a lot more concerned.

The ship sails away on Thursday out of NYC. Latest info says Irma will hit Miami on Saturday. Anyone have more info than that? Should planes still fly early morning on Thursday?

Yes, I do have travel insurance that I purchased together with the cruise.

No, I cannot leave earlier than my flight early on Thursday morning besides it's in less than 2 days from now.

And yes I do realize that those traveling to Ft. Lauderdale for a cruise are a lot more concerned.

If You said to where the ship will sail from NYC to, I did not see it What is the itinerary? Of courrse, that is a bi g factor.

I cannot imagine that the cancellations would begin Thursday morning. They will begin soon thereafter though; airlines won't want to leave aircraft on the ground in the hurricane zone, so if that means cancelling a flight into the area, because they're not sure they will be able to take off getting out of the area, then that'll be what they do.

Very often the decision whether to go into port or ride a storm out at sea (evading the worst of it) is as much a business, rather than seamanship, decision. If a storm Is going to hit a port of debarkation/embarkation on turnaround day, the line may very likely return to port a day (or more) early so as to be able to maintain sailing schedules. Better to cut one sailing short - and possibly board the next one late than to risk keeping passengers on past debarkation date and risk delaying new boarding any more than is unavoidable.

If You said to where the ship will sail from NYC to, I did not see it What is the itinerary? Of courrse, that is a bi g factor.

The OP's OP says South Hampton.:) Oh never mind now I see that she came back.

Tough night and days ahead for those in Irma's path. Stay safe!

Driving might be a problem since there is a gas shortage in FL, my friend in Tampa is trying to get out and can't fly because of their dog, but can't rely on getting enough fuel to reach anywhere out of the storm's path.

Don' t worry.

Just keep repeating to yourself;

Global warming is a hoax.

Say it again and again and you will be fine.

Don't forget you have to click your heals 3 times also. Not sure if you have to wear ruby slippers at the same time. LOL

DON