Getting to my cruise destination during Hurricane IRMA!

Alex NY

Hi everyone,

I am located in Miami.

I am sailing on Queen Mary 2 on September 7th, New York to Southampton.

My flight is EARLY on September 7th from Miami to NYC.

I am concerned that flights may get cancelled due to Hurricane Irma. What is going to happen in this case?

I do realize that a logical suggestion would be to get to NYC before that, but unfortunately I am just not in a position to do that:(

Thanks!

I think flying in the day of your cruise is risky no matter what time of year. Too many things can happen that are not weather related.

If the flight is cancelled and you don't have trip insurance you will likely have a problem in terms of the cruise itself.

Keith

Well, if it is impossible for you to fly the day before, I don't see any other options...and it doesn't look like anyone else has any ideas either. You miss the ship, you miss the cruise. I also hope you purchased insurance. Good luck to you. I hope you make it.

Reports are that Irma won't get near the US until late Friday or Saturday of next week. You fly on Thursday so you should be OK, but if your flight gets canceled the odds are you miss your cruise. Unfortunately you have have said that you can't go earlier so all you can do is hope for the best.

Yes, Yes and Yes. I would change the flight if possible. AND I would do it soon while there likely are still some available seats. Don't wait too long . Lots of other people are also watching and waiting.

Also should the hurricane arrive a day earlier then expected (we don't even know if it will be an issue) as was the case with the hurricane in Texas the airlines started to cancel flights a day ahead to not run the risk of having too many planes there.

Keith

Hi everyone,

I am located in Miami.

I am concerned that flights may get cancelled due to Hurricane Irma. What is going to happen in this case?

I do realize that a logical suggestion would be to get to NYC before that, but unfortunately I am just not in a position to do that:(

Thanks!

Like everyone else is saying, if your flight gets cancelled, or really if you are not on board when the ship sails for any reason (and you don't have cruise insurance). You're what my mom would call SOL. Hopefully you can come to terms with the donation you made to the cruise line.

Check other flights to JFK, EWR, and LGA out of MIA on same day as a back up in case your booked flight gets cancelled, and airports are not closed. I guess it's the option if you can not change your flight to a day before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As I have watched Irma's progress today, there is little chance that it has any impact on a flight out of MIA on Thursday. it is predicted to still be 1000 miles away that day, somewhere near the Dominican Republic.

Hi everyone. Sorry I wasn't very clear. If my individual flight gets cancelled I will go whatever it takes to get there, including paying for a new flight with another airline. I was asking about a situation where ALL flights get cancelled due to hurricane and I can't get to NYC. Thanks.

Hi everyone. Sorry I wasn't very clear. If my individual flight gets cancelled I will go whatever it takes to get there, including paying for a new flight with another airline. I was asking about a situation where ALL flights get cancelled due to hurricane and I can't get to NYC. Thanks.

Cruise line's do not care What airline's do.

The ship Will sail.

Unless you purchased the air travel through the cruise line or have travel insurance, you have no recourse if you can't get there. The ship will sail without you and you will lose your money for the cruise. As it gets closer to the date, if it looks like you may have travel issues, if you have the flexibility, leave a day or so early. Or look at alternative ways to get there.

Well, if you only want to know what will happen if you try to fly to NY on the day of the cruise and "ALL flights get cancelled" , I think the answer is kind of obvious:

YOU WILL MISS THE CRUISE.

It is hard to visualize a method of getting yourself to New York in time to board your cruise if you get to Miami airport at 6:00 AM - or even 5:00 AM - only to then learn that "ALL flights get cancelled".

I think Ben Franklin said it well : if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Hi everyone,

I am located in Miami.

Thanks!

The weather report that I heard on Irma a couple of hours ago had a European and US model. The European model had the hurricane going towards Florida and the US model had it turning up the coast with the Carolinas the likely land area impacted but possibly further up the coast.

For you OP: timewise they said that they would know more in a week to 10 days. If they are correct you will be on your cruise by then.

It really depends WHERE (or if) Irma comes ashore and what area of the East Coast she will affect. If it's headed toward NY, then ALL of the area airports may be shut down....not just one airline!

If it heads toward FL, you could always make your way to another state's airport to try and catch a flight north....

Until they have a better handle on the storm, just sit tight. If you don't have insurance, I would be obtaining something..just in case!

You could always try to get a flight out of Tampa, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Sanford or any other airport not effected by the hurricane if yours gets canceled. All the ones I mentioned are less than 4 hours from Miami. I'm sure you will pay a lot for a last minute flight of one is available, though.

You could always try to get a flight out of Tampa, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Sanford or any other airport not effected by the hurricane if yours gets canceled. All the ones I mentioned are less than 4 hours from Miami. I'm sure you will pay a lot for a last minute flight of one is available, though.

I forge yth ename of the huricane but think it was Wilma. She hit So. flrida so hard they closed Port Eveverglades and Miami and Fll airports. We were to sail Volendam. and had to fly ffom Boston and ourf reservations for flight and hotel, had bveen forfr tgwo ays aheas. We reevcied a tell ing us a Port Everglades and port of Miami closing. We learned Volendam would embark in Tampa. Because we got working on it so early, we were able to get two seats to fly to Tampa and made our cruise. Had we dragged our feet thinking we'd get togo FLL and Volendam would be there , we would have missed the ship, and many did. The soon eryou act, to make agernative plans, the bettter your chances, is my experience. If one is going to travel they must accept sometimes unforeseen events can change their plans and they must be flexible Edited by sail7seas

Airlines will start adjusting flights if Irma is going to impact their airports. Same just occurred to us with Harvey. United contacted us to depart early out of Houston because of Harvey's approach. We took the early flights to get to our cruise out of San Diego...contact your travel insurer because our's GENERALI Travel Insurance paid the day hotel in San Diego.

Airlines will start adjusting flights if Irma is going to impact their airports. Same just occurred to us with Harvey. United contacted us to depart early out of Houston because of Harvey's approach. We took the early flights to get to our cruise out of San Diego...contact your travel insurer because our's GENERALI Travel Insurance paid the day hotel in San Diego.

The forecasters have no agreement yet as to Irma' c ouurs, e. She might hit Florida an d may not, she mighgt hit C harlston and migtht go u p t he east coast and she might not. She also may take a right tuurn and go out to sea. Seing she is becoming a very strong storm, one can hope she goes oguut to sea and misses popuulated areas. Ships at sea may not like that option so much.

Edited by sail7seas