SUNSHINE from NYC-St. John & Halifax

jk666

Wow, hostile crowd. Some of you may want to hit the guest services desk the next time you cruise and direct your hostility towards them as THEY misinformed a first time cruiser who will likely not cruise again because of it. I'll stick to road trips from now on. If in the unlikely event I do go on another cruise, I will certainly seek advice elsewhere.

Wow, hostile crowd. Some of you may want to hit the guest services desk the next time you cruise and direct your hostility towards them as THEY misinformed a first time cruiser who will likely not cruise again because of it. I'll stick to road trips from now on. If in the unlikely event I do go on another cruise, I will certainly seek advice elsewhere.

BYGONES! Have enjoyed your review so far. PLEASE CONTINUE! I think everyone realizes by now that you did not try to "stiff" the crew from their tips, that it was a mistake because of misinformation from a CCL employee. PEACE! ;)

BYGONES! Have enjoyed your review so far. PLEASE CONTINUE! I think everyone realizes by now that you did not try to "stiff" the crew from their tips, that it was a mistake because of misinformation from a CCL employee. PEACE! ;)

No worries Karen, thanks.

Halifax:

The Halifax waterfront feels a little more developed than St. John, with more improvements coming. The main thoroughfare is the Harbourwalk which runs Northwest (to the right) from the terminal. It is more or less a boardwalk with a few restaurants and some shops. There are several ships that you can board, one is the Sackville a WWII Corvette and the other is the Acadia which is part of the Maritime Museum. You can also take harbor tours aboard Theodore Too (the tugboat with a face) which you may recognize from the kids' TV show.

In front of the Maritime Museum is a sculpture called the Wave which warns you not to climb should you get injured. This is largely ignored and we were in fact encouraged to climb it by the local tourism desk.

They have managed to turn the construction into a positive thing by adding a floating 'sea bridge' to bypass the area. It takes you around Murphy's restaurant and ultimately the harbourwalk ends at the ferry terminal. As you turn inland from here be sure to stop at NovaScotian Crystal where you can stand in the window and watch craftsman blow and engrave glass. Keep an eye on the water, when we were there a sailboat was dramatically buzzing the sea bridge.

From here we headed uphill (steep!) on George St. which passes through Memorial Park and onto Carmichael St before dead ending at the Halifax Citadel. The Old Town Clock is at the base of the Citadel, from here you can follow the path/steps all the way up to the entrance. Admission is free in 2017 because Canada is celebrating their 150th Anniversary. If you can manage to get there by 1200 Halifax time, they fire a Noon Cannon. From the top of the citadel ramparts you can usually see the cruise ships docked at the terminal. There are bag pipers and several other costumed staff available to answer questions about this historic site. The first floor of the barracks is a gift shop and the second floor is a military museum.

From the citadel we walked downhill stopping at shops (Taz Records on Spring Garden Rd!) and made our way back to the Maritime Museum. They have some Titanic artifacts as well as a larger exhibit about the explosion of the Mont Blanc that destroyed two square miles of Halifax in 1917. Admission to the museum includes a visit to the Acadia docked in front.

If you have trouble walking up steep hills and want to leave the waterfront, you may want to consider a hop on/hop off bus tour. Otherwise, happy walking.

Halifax:

In front of the Maritime Museum is a sculpture called the Wave which warns you not to climb should you get injured. This is largely ignored and we were in fact encouraged to climb it by the local tourism desk.

Canadian way of covering their asses just in case you got hurt on it, they did warn you to stay off ;p

We are leaving in a couple of days on this exact same cruise. We are the same way...we don't need to be wowed...a good day away from "real life" is a good day in general. What did you guys do in Halifax?? That is our one port where we don't have anything planned. I've heard the harborwalk has a lot to see and do.

We are leaving in a couple of days on this exact same cruise. We are the same way...we don't need to be wowed...a good day away from "real life" is a good day in general. What did you guys do in Halifax?? That is our one port where we don't have anything planned. I've heard the harborwalk has a lot to see and do.

The Harbourwalk is nice, definitely walk up to the Citadel (free admission in 2017), there are some Titanic artifacts in the museum, but the Mont Blanc exhibit is better IMO.

Hi, on the same cruise leaving 9/16, so I may be asking a lot of questions. :)

Can you tell me which night(s) were elegant nights? And which night was lobster night?

Sorry, we only ate in the dining room on Friday night so I don't know.

Ask away.

Hi, on the same cruise leaving 9/16, so I may be asking a lot of questions. :)

Can you tell me which night(s) were elegant nights? And which night was lobster night?

Cruise elegant is always the first full sea day and then normally the second to last day. Lobster is only served on the first cruise elegant evening.

Okay, I have been on CC for a very long time. I treasure all the advice I have gotten here. I swear, you are all the experts. If I have a question or concern about ANYTHING I know who I'm gonna call! My friend is a TA and I have learned stuff on here even SHE doesn't know! OP has been good enough to take time to sit at his computer and give us a review of his cruise. He and/or his DW and/or CCL made a mistake about tipping. I am sure it was an innocent mistake and one he will never make again. With all the time I have spent on this forum I have kept my mouth shut and stayed away from "controversy" but everyone's point has been made, OP "learned his lesson" and now it's time to move on. If anyone wants to discuss tipping, start another thread. I respect everyone's opinions and normally tip "over" for good service and have ALWAYS been extra courteous to all the crew. Now I'm anxious to read about OP's cruise. PEACE. ;)

And they say sarcasm is hard to get across online....good job