Sept 8 NCL Sky cruise and Hurricane Irma

sltrawick

Thanks for the update on RCCL. It's looking more like this cruise will be canceled which is probably for the best. Miami-Dade government is starting evacuations and closing schools Thursday and Friday. Now, my personal opinion as a lifelong local is that it's a little too early to be making these decision and perhaps people are over reacting due to the hurricane in Texas but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. Honestly just in case it does come I'd rather wait it out at home than be out on a cruise worrying about what kind of mess I'll have to come back to.

I am in Florida as well and I kinda feel the same way. Don't want to worry the whole cruise as to what I might come home too. If I can even get home.

Thanks for the update on RCCL. It's looking more like this cruise will be canceled which is probably for the best. Miami-Dade government is starting evacuations and closing schools Thursday and Friday. Now, my personal opinion as a lifelong local is that it's a little too early to be making these decision and perhaps people are over reacting due to the hurricane in Texas but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. Honestly just in case it does come I'd rather wait it out at home than be out on a cruise worrying about what kind of mess I'll have to come back to.

If you or anyone ever needs to negotiate with an airline to waive change penalties, this kind of civil action is usually enough to convince them to grant it. Quote the news item you find about any emergency actions, states of emergency, etc. and that is enough to take step 1: Don't get on a plane to the that place and preserve your right to change the flights to a future date and get credit toward a replacement flight. Step 2, watch for cruise cancelling or change and see what they are offering.

If you are lucky both happen within hours of each other and you can sit back and start making new plans. If you have trip insurance, and costs that are not being waived or covered by the cruise line or airline, wait until the event has happened, capture news of the cancellations and events that caused it, and then start the claims process after it is done.

Cruises are never cancelled. NCL will notify you if they have to leave early on Friday (robo calls, emails). You can leave on Friday, but if the hurricane stays on it's current track, you won't be going to the Bahamas.

Well..you're wrong again. Condescending as always!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155848293186414&id=43678986413

Cruises are never cancelled. NCL will notify you if they have to leave early on Friday (robo calls, emails). You can leave on Friday, but if the hurricane stays on it's current track, you won't be going to the Bahamas.

Cruises are never cancelled? You could not be more wrong. ;)

Cruises are never cancelled? You could not be more wrong. ;)

Pretty sure NCL payed attention to the mistake Carnival made last week in Texas.

It's not good PR for Carnival to keep pax in limbo, especially after last weeks problems. And yet Carnival is doing it again. Will they never learn.

Nobody knows what is going to happen or where exactly this storm will hit. They have made no decisions on closing schools yet either. Some forecasts have it hitting the west coast of Florida and other forecasts have it hitting the east coast of Florida. This is a deadly storm. No matter how your house was built 185 MPH winds and gusts over 200 is complete devastation. I am on pins and needles because I keep imagining my house destroyed like the visions of Hurricane Andrew.

There is no way the cruise lines can make any decisions yet. Personally, I would not want to chance coming to Miami with this lurking. You can always take another cruise. But you risk getting stranded.

Its very possible you could leave Friday on the Sky, miss the hurricane and go to the Bahamas and come back as scheduled. But there is so much uncertainty with most of Florida in the cone.

Its a real mess.

Nobody knows what is going to happen or where exactly this storm will hit. They have made no decisions on closing schools yet either. Some forecasts have it hitting the west coast of Florida and other forecasts have it hitting the east coast of Florida. This is a deadly storm. No matter how your house was built 185 MPH winds and gusts over 200 is complete devastation. I am on pins and needles because I keep imagining my house destroyed like the visions of Hurricane Andrew.

There is no way the cruise lines can make any decisions yet. Personally, I would not want to chance coming to Miami with this lurking. You can always take another cruise. But you risk getting stranded.

Its very possible you could leave Friday on the Sky, miss the hurricane and go to the Bahamas and come back as scheduled. But there is so much uncertainty with most of Florida in the cone.

Its a real mess.

They have closed some schools in Coral springs Florida.

Stupid question...

"50% future cruise credit, based on your voyage fare, valid towards the cruise fare only on one future voyage within12 months from the date of this letter."

Does this mean 50% of what my booking was for this trip to towards next cruise.

--Example if cruse was 2k then I get 1k off next booking

Or

50% off next cruise

--Example cruise booked is 3k and I get billed for 1.5k

Thanks!

Stupid question.. "50% future cruise credit, based on your voyage fare, valid towards the cruise fare only on one future voyage within12 months from the date of this letter."

Or

50% off next cruise

Thanks!

$1k off a future cruise.

Stupid question...

"50% future cruise credit, based on your voyage fare, valid towards the cruise fare only on one future voyage within12 months from the date of this letter."

Or

50% off next cruise

Thanks!

The way NCL explained it to me was that it's 50% of the fare that you paid for the cancelled sailing, not the new one.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Forums mobile app

Let's not get into "fake news". Let's discuss the facts. Those cruises were cancelled because ships were diverted and could not get to Texas to embark their next passengers. Both ships had originally planned to arrive a day or two late and operate abbreviated cruises the next week. Even if the embarking passengers had to sit in Texas waiting for the ships to arrive. As it turns out, the port remained closed and the ships were diverted to Miami.

The OP asked about next weekend's Sky. They will be able to embark on Friday. Where they go depends on Irma which continues to move further south.

Fake News huh ? Perhaps best not to say CRUISES NEVER GET CANCELED without fact checking first...

Norwegian Sky, September 8 from Miami: The ship’s three-day Bahamas cruise has been cancelled. We will be providing a full refund to all guests, plus a 50% future cruise credit.

Norwegian Escape, September 9 from Miami:The ship’s seven-day Eastern Caribbean Cruise has been cancelled. We will be providing a full refund to all guests, plus a 50% future cruise credit.

Never-Say-Never.png

Norwegian Sky, September 8 from Miami: The ship’s three-day Bahamas cruise has been cancelled. We will be providing a full refund to all guests, plus a 50% future cruise credit.

Norwegian Escape, September 9 from Miami: The ship’s seven-day Eastern Caribbean Cruise has been cancelled. We will be providing a full refund to all guests, plus a 50% future cruise credit.

Yes. What was stated was fake news. The ships cited cancelled because the could not get to port to pick up their passengers.

I think your definition of what "cancelled" means is different than everyone else's definition. Fake news flash: Cancelling a cruise because you can't get into port is still *cancelling a cruise*.