Celebrity travel sickness tablets

Missaims

I haven't been able to find anything that contains Meclizine in the UK for the last few years. It used to be available as Traveleeze. I always stock up on Bonine when we are in the US now as it seems to work best for me.

I knew that Amazon sells meclizine on their US website, as well as the various other products to prevent seasickness that I mentioned previously and that others have mentioned here, plus many more.

So I checked out Amazon's UK site for meclizine and was surprised that it was not listed there. They only showed books about meclizine!

I'm wondering if there is some kind of government prohibition on selling it there.

It would be nice if Brits could order such products from Amazon's .com site and get the free shipping, but if there are restrictions on selling such products there, I would guess there could be restrictions on importing them as well.

Or maybe Amazon's famous free shipping would not apply for shipping them across the pond.

Just speculating here.

Anyway, it just gives Brits one more reason to take another cruise. :D

By the way, I just remembered that some passengers use MotionEaze to prevent seasickness and claim it works well, the stuff that you dab behind your ear.

I like the idea that you don't need to ingest it, but have not had a reason to try it yet.

Edited by varoo

I think you meant dimenhydrinate. Diphenhydramine is benadryl.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Old school pharmacist from the 60's sorry... Can't get some of the changes right in my aging noggin.

Thanks for the correction and update..

Still going with old school names and such when Dramamine was also diphenhydramine, but bonded to 8-chlorotheophylline, which whoever put the two together decided to give a different name altogether: dimenhydrinate. To say the least, doing this messed up my head.. LOL..:confused:

Notice the theophylline exchanged for the HCl, to lessen drowsiness...

bosco

I haven't been able to find anything that contains Meclizine in the UK for the last few years. It used to be available as Traveleeze. I always stock up on Bonine when we are in the US now as it seems to work best for me.

Julie

You are quite right. We can no longer buy anything with Meclizine in the U.K. Traveleeze was always my favourite brand. You can't buy Sealegs anymore either.

I do the same and stock up when I'm in the US.

Word of advice, don't drink alcohol when taking Bonine. I almost fell asleep one evening at the dinner table! :')💤

Dramamine also knocks me out. Great if I want to sleep but can't use otherwise. I have switched to Bonine and find it very effective.

Over the years I find that if I take Dramamine or Bonine a couple days ahead each night at bedtime and the day of departure it calms down my inner ear and I don't need anything for the remainder of the cruise.

I used the scopolamine transdermal patch behind the ear and finds it helps a lot. I am usually good when taking a Caribbean or Med cruise but on trans-Atlantic don't leave home without it.

BTW, I am on the the Panama Canal/West Coast of SA cruise also. 1st time cruising SA.

I tried the scopolamine transdermal patchs on our first cruise because I can get sea sick easily. It probably worked, but since we didn't have rough seas I took it off. The main problem with it for me was it made me so thirsty I couldn't seem to drink enough. I haven't used it since. I have taken Bonine and it worked. I usually bring candied ginger if I remember to. I will eat some if the boat is rocking a little and I am feeling it. If I know it is going to be very rough then I will take Bonine. Not really sure how well ginger will work for me in rough seas. I wasn't aware of ginger pills so I will have to try those.

There's a good reason why the scopolomine transdermal patch is by prescription only in Canada. That thing can have some really nasty side effects. Dry mouth is common and annoying. Blurred vision is also common, and much more bothersome. However, confusion and hallucinations have also been reported, especially amongst the elderly. A lot of doctors refuse to prescribe it except as a last resort.

Bonine, or Meclizine, or Dramamine Less Drowsy (all the same thing) can produce drowsiness in some people, but is usually much less profound than a comparable dose of regular Dramamine (dimenhydrinate). The trick with Bonine is to take it at night, before bed. Start at least the night before sailing, then take it every night. It's a once a day pill, and much more effective if used as a preventative. But given the choice between tossing my cookies or feeling a bit Drowsy, I'd still take it during the daytime if I needed to.