Birth certificates

MommaET

Do you have the ability to get the real ID from the DMV? It will be good for all travel by sea or car? It doesn't cost any more than a regular drivers license. I've got one and it's great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, the REAL ID compliant license is not sufficient to prove citizenship and identity with one document, you still need a birth certificate with it to prove citizenship. What you are thinking of is an Enhanced Drivers License and it is a completely different animal and is currently only issued by 5 states. The EDL does prove citizenship and identity with one document and may be used stand alone at land border crossings and sea ports of entry when returning from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean (in short it is the same as a Passport Card).

Our two were born in TX where they keep birth records in Austin. Unless you can drive to Austin, it takes days if not weeks to get a state issued b/c with a colored stamp on it (no raised seal). In the state I was born, the birth records are kept by the county. The last b/c I requested decades ago had the colored stamp on special paper (no raised seal). When we applied for our passports years ago the state issued b/c was required to prove citizenship (no copies or notarized copies allowed). Why pax continue to fight getting the passport is beyond my comprehension. The passport is the only recognized document in every country. Get it and get out and travel.

Our two were born in TX where they keep birth records in Austin. Unless you can drive to Austin, it takes days if not weeks to get a state issued b/c with a colored stamp on it (no raised seal). In the state I was born, the birth records are kept by the county. The last b/c I requested decades ago had the colored stamp on special paper (no raised seal). When we applied for our passports years ago the state issued b/c was required to prove citizenship (no copies or notarized copies allowed). Why pax continue to fight getting the passport is beyond my comprehension. The passport is the only recognized document in every country. Get it and get out and travel.

There are a lot of people who can't get out and travel and to get a passport for a closed loop cruise alone doesn't make a lot of sense. There are a lot of people who only travel by crossing the land border and to get a passport for them doesn't make sense. Everyone has different travel patterns and travel needs and they should use the documentation that works best for their travel needs and their comfort level.

All you need is a passport. You need a birth certificate to get a passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, to be exact all you need for a closed loop cruise is a birth certificate and a government issued ID and since many US citizens have both of those documents already in their possession they don't see the need to pay for something else.

Ok anyone know what kind of birth certificate size and seal requirements for the carnival cruise line. I'm getting mixed reviews from the travel agency and the cruise line and past cruisers. Help?!

Please also make sure to bring a bridging document, if applicable, to show the name change from your birth name to the name listed on the drivers license (ie marriage cert).

I've only been asked once to show the bridging document - but I was sure glad I had it with me.

In Dallas County, you can apply in person at one of five different locations and they will print it for you while you wait. No need to go through Austin. I can't speak to the other 253 counties in the state, though. I believe this is the "short form" birth certificate, which is sufficient for applications for government issued ID. (A "short form" birth certificate is not the same as the more troublesome "certificate of live birth.")

Raised seal!!

WRONG!!!!! not all BC have raised seals, that is an old fashioned way of doing it.

I'd apply for a passport. With all that's happened over the last few weeks............one would be needed to fly home from a foreign port in case of emergency.

No need for a passport.....but it's good to have it.

I think it's mostly for entering a Country, not coming back to the US. So as long as he's coming home, I don't foresee an issue. But then again, I've never had that happen so I can't be for sure.

Some countries are also security conscience about those leaving the country.

Costa Rica comes to mind. When leaving after a land trip to the country, we needed to show our passports at immigrations before being allowed to process to airport security.

And for those traveling with children, the children were questioned separately from their parents about who they were, where they had been, and who they were traveling with. This also occurred when entering the country.