New £10 Note

wowzz

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmm...I have some Clydesdale Bank Ten Pounds Sterling Notes with Robert Burns on them. I assume I can use them in England? :confused:

Theoretically yes, but in practice I think you will struggle. You may need to change them in a bank.

Hmmm...I have some Clydesdale Bank Ten Pounds Sterling Notes with Robert Burns on them. I assume I can use them in England? :confused:

I don't agree you will struggle. I use them all the time in England when I come down from Scotland. Some shops will think twice but they've never been refused

Thank you very much for this post wowzz. I am in Vancouver Canada with a bunch of pound coins as well as 10£ notes. I just happened to be looking for posts about Lerwick and saw this one. I am off to the currency exchange tomorrow to sell all my soon to be out of date currency. I only wish I could book a quick trip to Britain instead...... But thanks for saving me from a loss. I will sell all except the 20£ as hopefully I will visit before 2020 when they are due to be updated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Managed to get shed of all my old notes and overlooked only one old round pound on my visit last week. If all else fails, the flight crew was collecting for a charity on the flight back to the states and they are more than happy to take any of the "old" money as the charity can readily exchange it.

Cheers

I don't use much cash these days, but got a bunch of new tenners out of an ATM yesterday. I find them rather prone to sticking together.

There is loads of technical stuff on these notes:

• There is a large see-through window on the note. A clearly defined portrait of the Queen is printed on the window with the words ‘£10 Bank of England’ printed twice around the edge
  • A finely detailed metallic image of Winchester Cathedral is positioned over the window. The foil is gold on the front of the note and silver on the back. When the note is tilted a multi-coloured rainbow effect can be seen. The foil £ symbol in the window is silver on the front of the note and copper on the back
  • At the side of the window is a coloured quill which changes from purple to orange when the note is tilted. This effect can be seen on the front and back of the note
  • On the front of the note, below the see-through window, is a silver foil patch. When the note is tilted the word ‘Ten’ changes to ‘Pounds’ and a multicoloured rainbow effect can be seen
  • On the front of the note, above the see-through window, is a silver foil patch containing an image of the coronation crown which appears 3D. When the note is tilted a multi-coloured rainbow effect can be seen
  • On the back of the note, there is a book-shaped copper foil patch which contains the letters JA. It is immediately behind the silver crown on the front
  • The note is printed on polymer which is a thin and flexible plastic material. By running your finger across the front of the note you can feel raised print in areas such as the words ‘Bank of England’ and in the bottom right corner, around the number 10
  • The printed lines and colours on the note are sharp, clear and free from smudges or blurred edges
  • Using a magnifying glass, look closely at the lettering beneath the Queen’s portrait – you will see the value of the note written in small letters and numbers
  • If you look at the front of the note under a good quality ultra-violet light, the number 10 appears in bright red and green whilst the background remains dull in contrast

• 3 weeks later...
I don't agree you will struggle. I use them all the time in England when I come down from Scotland. Some shops will think twice but they've never been refused

I think you've been quite lucky there. I have often had quite a struggle to get Scottish notes accepted in England, particularly London taxi drivers!

I think you've been quite lucky there. I have often had quite a struggle to get Scottish notes accepted in England, particularly London taxi drivers!

I'm back home, with my Scottish notes. People would not accept them in Salisbury or Southampton. :rolleyes:

Will be in Ireland (both areas) next year. Maybe I can use them in Belfast?