Half Moon Cay

TXCruiser10

CruiseFever posted that a HAL released a statement stating that Half Moon Cay was not damaged by Hurricane Irma and is fully operational! Good news!

https://cruisefever.net/4-cruise-ports-closed-indefinitely-due-damage-caused-hurricane-irma/

Thanks for the link!

So, as of now, closed to cruise traffic indefinitely are:

Key West, FL

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, USVI

Road Town, Tortola, BVI

Philipsburg, Sint Maarten

Here's hoping those four islands are on the way to recovery

I wish people waited until after a disaster to talk about a disaster -- So many people had this little island gone. and yet its ok

I agree and will be anxious to hear a bout any possible beach erosion. There has been so much loss of beach in the years since HAL first starrted using the island uut we'll wait until the first cruises stop there before we know. I have meant to go to Carnival forum to see if any Carnival ships have stopped there since the gtorm and if thre are any comments about possible errosion. Good news here though, for sure.

I wish people waited until after a disaster to talk about a disaster -- So many people had this little island gone. and yet its ok
I agree and will be anxious to hear a bout any possible beach erosion. There has been so much loss of beach in the years since HAL first started using the island but we'll wait until the first cruises stop there before we know. I have meant to go to Carnival forum to see if any Carnival ships have stopped there since the storm and if there are any comments about possible errosion. Good news here though, for sure.

CruiseFever posted that a HAL released a statement stating that Half Moon Cay was not damaged by Hurricane Irma and is fully operational! Good news!

https://cruisefever.net/4-cruise-ports-closed-indefinitely-due-damage-caused-hurricane-irma/

Cruise Critic has a story about the latest updates to all affected Caribbean ports: After Hurricane Irma: Which Caribbean Cruise Ports are Open?

Our editorial staff works hard to bring you the latest cruise news. Please consider checking out our coverage!

Happy Cruising!

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

I am also curious about beach erosion on HMC.

of

I remember one year when nearly all the vegetation was stripped of their leaves.

Yes, I too have seen all the plants stripped of leaves and flowers but they come back so not a real problem. I was so sad to se e the bouganavlia (sp ?) stripped but it was in full bloom next time we were at HMC. the grounds keepers do a good job, iMO.. what disturbs me is not easily 'fixed.'. When the beach keeps geetting more narrow with less sand and diminished areas for chairs , seating, walking and cabanas . there is far less beach now than when HAL first started going there. There has b

Ieen a loss of many feet. bdetween high tide and back of beach in some spots.

I am also curious about beach erosion on HMC. of I remember one year when nearly all the vegetation was stripped of their leaves.
Yes, I too have seen all the plalnts stripped of leaves and flowers but they come back so not a real problem. T I was so sad to se e the bouganavlia (sp ?) stripped but it was in full bloom next time we were at HMC.the grounds keepers do a good job, iMO.. what disturbs me is not easily 'fixed.'. When the beach keeps getting more narrow with less sand and diminished areas for chairs , seating, walking and cabanas . there is far less beach now than when HAL first started going there. There has b een a loss of many feet.of sand between high tide and back of beach in some spots. Hopefully, the water is still so clean and clear and it is hard to beat that blue listerine color :)

Can HMC accommodate more than one ship at the same time?

Charlotte Amalie and St. Maarten are both large cruise ports, easily accommodating at least five ships. With those ports closed there is likely to be a capacity problem at the remaining ports, particularly those closer to the US embarkation ports.

Charlotte Amalie and St. Maarten are both large cruise ports, easily accommodating at least five ships. With those ports closed there is likely to be a capacity problem at the remaining ports, particularly those closer to the US embarkation ports.

We have been at HMC when there was a Vista ship as well as Signature. It was crowded but not awful. they can handle it.

Yes. Twice we have been at HMC with another ship. Both times we were on Nieuw Amsterdam, and the other ship was the Oosterdam once, and the Zuiderdam the other time. It was a little more crowded but not a big deal. The one ship had use of the island's tenders, and the other ship used their own tenders.