Blue Collar Diamond's Road trip/ hurricane shortened Majesty cruise

BillOh

We visited Blue Lagoon Island in 2015 and did the swimming with the dolphins. It was a beautiful area and a lot of fun!

After our Segway tour we did walk through the Dolphin encounter area. Most of the other cruisers were gone and the dolphins were just swimming around. They seemed interested in us and we watched each other quite a bit. They didn't seem to be looking for food. For Laura here is a few pictures,

dolphin3.jpg

dolphin4.jpg

While I personally wouldn't interact with a captive dolphin exhibit, l couldn't resist taking pictures since I was there.

phin1.jpg

dolphin2.jpg

Edited by BillOh

Once back on the ship we enjoyed another evening and sunset in the Diamond Happy hour in the Viking Crown Lounge.

20170921_185540.jpg

Once again on night 2, we were required to give our Seapass card to get a drink. A few times we gad to ask for our cards back. On this night we forgot to do this once, so when ordering a drink in the dining room, I had to run back up to the VCL to get our my card.

20170921_190926.jpg

Night 2 was formal might and we didn't pack formal wear so we did go in smart casual and it seemed the norm. A few better dressed people, nothing really back except the millennial wearing the BIG JOHNSON ball cap and mirrored aviator shades. Gina ordered the Medalion Filet, which I avoided because it was so bad on Adventure. I got the chicken breast from the repeat menu and it was good. Gina's steak was good and I can now say every meal was very good and had great service.

After our Segway tour we did walk through the Dolphin encounter area. Most of the other cruisers were gone and the dolphins were just swimming around. They seemed interested in us and we watched each other quite a bit. They didn't seem to be looking for food. For Laura here is a few pictures,

dolphin3.jpg

dolphin4.jpg

While I personally wouldn't interact with a captive dolphin exhibit, l couldn't resist taking pictures since I was there.

phin1.jpg

dolphin2.jpg

Aww those are such good pictures!! They are so sweet and very personable. I know everyone has their views about exhibits like this but they actually go into how they rescued these dolphins who were near death and things such as that. I thought it was pretty neat. Thanks for the pictures Bill!!

You should see if your camera is compatible with an EyeFi card. Automatically transfers camera to your phone. I love mine.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I bought the Canon Rebel T3I in St Martin in 2011, those were just coming out then. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Thank you for your review! I especially appreciate you telling us about the poor Segway tour since we were considering it on our upcoming cruise. Was there another option for booking on your own that you’ve been on?

There was a company that use to do a Royal Segway excursion, we used them in 2007 and then I found them via google search and used them in 2013. I think it was these people https://www.bahamas.com/vendor/segway-tours

Tonight, I'll upload Coco Cay pictures. We made it to the island and the weather was perfect. I am now 5 for 5 making it to the island! I finally got to scubadive there on my 4th attempt. We also got the beach beds again this year, but there were some minor changes to it this year. Finally, I could see work going on for the new pier, I'll post those pics. From my questionable memory I think its supposed to be completed 10/18.

I bought the Canon Rebel T3I in St Martin in 2011, those were just coming out then. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Mine's a T5. Similar vintage. Go to menu, and check settings. Mine is in the first yellow wrench, all the way at bottom of list. Eye-Fi settings.

The card is around $30 for the 8 meg.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Well,

As usual I have drug this out too long, letting post cruise life get in the way. On day 3 we got to Coco Cay and I'm happy to say I am 5 for 5 making it to the island! Having an early excursion I was on the first tender out. I quickly saw work on the new pier. Having no expertise in pier construction, I'll just offer these pictures minus any commentary.

dredge1.jpg

pier1.jpg

pier2.jpg

Only once on shore was I convinced that a moment I've waited 6 years for was finally here! I was about to dive at Coco Cay.

picx.jpg

dive2.jpg

As with most dives, diver prep is important, getting the lay of the land, so to speak.

diveprep.jpg

Heading to the water!

walk2water.jpg

Finally in the water.

inthewater.jpg

My private tow to the divesite.

towedout.jpg

Great review, Bill! I'm loving your pictures, too!

I'm glad to hear that you found the Port Canaveral area in such good shape after Irma. Most of central Florida seems to be doing pretty well now, but there are some parts of our area that will be a while in the process of recovery, and some are getting a whole lot more rain this weekend. Still, what we experienced here pales in comparison to the devastation that happened on so many islands in the Caribbean.

You got lucky with gas on the FL Turnpike. That's where we live, and during the days both before and after Irma any of the stations you would have passed were frequently out of gas even though they were doing their best to keep them supplied so the evacuees could get the fuel they needed.

I'm glad you finally got to dive on Coco Cay. Can't wait to hear about it. Hope you had some great diving.

Thanks for the heads up on the segway tour at Blue Lagoon. We have done a lot of segway tours, but anything quite as bad as the experience you just had. I don't expect to be back in Nassau until our Symphony cruise, but I don't think we will be booking that particular segway tour when we do get back to Nassau.

Ok, I am going to wrap this up now! I've tried to wrap it up twice already and have screwed it up. As I become the old man in the neighborhood telling kids to stay off my lawn, I am also going from a 20+ year IT person, to the person who can't handle technology. While composing the final message I've had my pictures up on one screen, my hosting site on another, and my dive video on another tab of my browser, I keep accidently closing this window while I'm composing these last messages.

......pause......

As mentioned, I finally got to dive in my 3rd attempt here at Coco Cay. It was fun, I really enjoyed the dive, but it wasn't under the greatest conditions. The visibility was only about 20 ft or so and a little murky. I did see several sting rays including one about 6-8ft across. I also saw 3 lobsters, including the biggest one I have ever seen. I was very pleased with the equipment and the people running the diver operation at Coco Cay. The Gopro takes a very wide angle photo and in the murk it doesn't show a lot of detail, but here it is.

....pause....save......

After my dive was over, I got a tram to the beach bed area on the south side of the island where my wife was waiting.

First, here is another required photo when your on Coco Cay. When the new pier comes, these photos will go away.

shipfromislnand.jpg

When we were here in 2016, only 5 people got the beach beds so they did things a little different this time. Then the first come, picked out which bed they wanted. Someone came around, took your lunch order, then it was brought to you. This time about 13 of 15 beds were occupied and they were assigned at the excursion desk prior to getting on the island. You also had to select your lunch from the menu and what time you wanted it delivered. They kind of messed that up. They forgot out cookies for dessert and we had to go get them. The people next to us had 6-8 people at their bed and asked for a 1pm lunch. All there food was brought at 11:15 and most of their crew was on the zip line, so they had cold food an hour later.

bedagain.jpg

morebed.jpg

I finally got to see the swim up bar that was destroyed by Hurricane Matthew.

bar.jpg

Edited by BillOh

As mentioned, I finally got to dive in my 3rd attempt here at Coco Cay. It was fun, I really enjoyed the dive, but it wasn't under the greatest conditions. The visibility was only about 20 ft or so and a little murky. I did see several sting rays including one about 6-8ft across. I also saw 3 lobsters, including the biggest one I have ever seen. I was very pleased with the equipment and the people running the diver operation at Coco Cay. The Gopro takes a very wide angle photo and in the murk it doesn't show a lot of detail, but here it is.

....pause....save......

Interesting video Bill.

To wrap things up, The final dinner that night was good, I think we all had the Lasagna. I really liked this dining room service team and I don't think I ever got a survey from Royal on this one. Self Departure went well, we were on board the shuttle and at our car quickly. I think we were on the road by 8am. After a traffic jam in Atlanta, and stopping for dinner, we pulled in home about 1am.

Supposedly I have around $200 of future cruise credit to use, but it must be for a cruise booked in the next few days. I already have two cruises booked and I don't want to change either. I did notice the Majesty cruise for Oct 16 is real low, I could book that one and probably pay only $200. Real tempting.

PS, I did book a 4 day cruise that was shortened to 3 days be weather related circumstances. We were credited with a 25% refund of our cruise fare as refundable OBC. I ended up using that for excursions so I didn't get a chance for a refund, but did get to delay my excursion plans and use that money. I also see that my Crown and Anchor point total did go up by 4. The ship was reportedly about 80% full, but signs, that I think are always there said, NO UPGRADES AVAILABLE, so I didn't ask. One CC member reported getting an upgrade to a JS. We may do this again next year, or I may look for a short cruise out of Tampa.

To wrap things up, The final dinner that night was good, I think we all had the Lasagna. I really liked this dining room service team and I don't think I ever got a survey from Royal on this one. Self Departure went well, we were on board the shuttle and at our car quickly. I think we were on the road by 8am. After a traffic jam in Atlanta, and stopping for dinner, we pulled in home about 1am.

Supposedly I have around $200 of future cruise credit to use, but it must be for a cruise booked in the next few days. I already have two cruises booked and I don't want to change either. I did notice the Majesty cruise for Oct 16 is real low, I could book that one and probably pay only $200. Real tempting.

We were on Allure Sept 10 changed to Sept 13 & have yet to receive the normal survey as well. Seems odd

We were on Allure Sept 10 changed to Sept 13 & have yet to receive the normal survey as well. Seems odd

On adventure they told us the surveys were already in our mailbox and started begging for 10s. Now on a visit when I would give plenty of them, no opportunity! I did do feedback on the Crown and Anchor site mentioning the use of seapass cards at the Diamond event and the problems we encountered. But I did say how well the dining team did. They responded and said they would pass this on.

On adventure they told us the surveys were already in our mailbox and started begging for 10s. Now on a visit when I would give plenty of them, no opportunity! I did do feedback on the Crown and Anchor site mentioning the use of seapass cards at the Diamond event and the problems we encountered. But I did say how well the dining team did. They responded and said they would pass this on.

Filled out our survey for Freedom and only 1-5. Haven’t had a 10’s Survey in last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't expect to see it. We discussed it at lunch with the revenue officer of Oasis. He said no surveys were being done for the short cruise

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Filled out our survey for Freedom and only 1-5. Haven’t had a 10’s Survey in last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have, but have no doubt that you are correct. Another inconsistency I guess.

Don't expect to see it. We discussed it at lunch with the revenue officer of Oasis. He said no surveys were being done for the short cruise

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I didn't know that, but seems easy to believe, thanks.

PS, I did book a 4 day cruise that was shortened to 3 days be weather related circumstances. We were credited with a 25% refund of our cruise fare as refundable OBC. I ended up using that for excursions so I didn't get a chance for a refund, but did get to delay my excursion plans and use that money. I also see that my Crown and Anchor point total did go up by 4. The ship was reportedly about 80% full, but signs, that I think are always there said, NO UPGRADES AVAILABLE, so I didn't ask. One CC member reported getting an upgrade to a JS. We may do this again next year, or I may look for a short cruise out of Tampa.

Thanks for the review - was wondering if you happened to see if the 10 drink card was offered and if so, what day? I'm trying to decide if I should get the package at 250.00 or just pay as I go :)