Simple Question on Boarding Pass

E-500

Have done the on-line check-in and the boarding pass has both our names on it, do I need to print two copies for when I arrive at the port for the agents at the registration desk?

On other lines we have sailed each person has a separate boarding pass, so two pieces of paper.

Thanks in advance from the experts on this board.

As long as you're boarding at the same time, you only need one boarding pass.
True, but printing a second copy takes only seconds, so we like to print two "just in case" even if we think we will most likely be boarding at the same time.

It is not only to have a backup copy in case one is misplaced or damaged, but also for flexibility in case we change our minds about boarding together.

Sometimes one of us may get tied up at the port area (parking car, or returning rental car, or shopping for last minute items, or browsing for tourist info, or even just taking photos) and the other one just wants to get on the ship.

At the San Juan pier, one of us always wants to stop off at the liquor store before boarding and the other doesn't. clear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704

Thank you to the regulars on this board for your responses. Will print 2 copies just to be on the safe side, will most likely board together, but.....

If no copies means extra paperwork, I don't want tp hold the line up, we all want to get on the ship and I don't want to be "that guy" that delays you.

We have never printed two copies unless we are using separate credit cards for our onboard accounts in which case we each have a separate Xpress pass. We always board together however. We most often stay in the embarkation city the night prior to the cruise and arrive by taxi or shuttle to the port. That being said, it's only an extra piece of paper and a little printer ink. If it makes you feel more secure it's a miniscule cost addition to the overall cruise price!

Not doing the online check-in will result in having to fill out some paperwork (but that doesn't take very long). Not having the physical Xpress pass will not cause any additional paperwork. They use it to direct you to the appropriate lines at the port and then also pull up your account once you're at the desk, but they can do all of that without that piece of paper.

One more reason for having your express pass with you that I don't think has been mentioned yet is for admission to the port area.

At some ports, security is very lax where anyone can walk or drive right up to the ship.

But at others, they stop every vehicle at the gate and only allow in people who can show they have a legitimate reason to be there at the time.

If you have your documents with you, they wave you right on through with no red tape, but otherwise, they pull you over to the side for further interrogation.

They may even keep you waiting while they call to check that you are really on the manifest before allowing you to proceed.

It is not a good position to be in if you happen to be in a taxi with the meter running.

Also, security levels are higher at some times than at others, so the level in effect that day can be a factor in how lax or strict they are about requiring proper documentation for entry to the port area.

At the San Diego port recently, I was stopped when entering on foot (not from a vehicle) so I showed my passport, but that was not good enough.

They wanted to see my express pass too before they would let me in.

I have no doubt that I would have been admitted eventually even without it, but it just makes things go more easily and smoothly to have it readily available, or at least some other document to show that you belong there, such as your cruise invoice.

Edited by varoo

If you don't have your express pass when you check in, you'll just have to fill out more paperwork when you check in. It does take extra time.

That is 100% not true!

Again, last cruise we forgot our express pass...We handed them passport, credit card (same as everyone) and that was it..there was absolutely no difference in time.

That is 100% not true!

Again, last cruise we forgot our express pass...We handed them passport, credit card (same as everyone) and that was it..there was absolutely no difference in time.

Well, I'm just telling my experience. We checked in with another couple in Civitavecchia who forgot their express pass, and they DID have more paperwork to fill out at check in. Did it take 1/2 hour? No, but it did take a couple extra minutes.

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it. ;p

I made the original reply saying "as long as you're boarding at the same time, etc . . ." I've never tried to enter the port area without my Express Pass but I've seen others who could not get past the front door. We had a problem in San Diego when we had to take separate shuttles to the port. It was obvious that I my husband would not get anywhere near the port without the Express Pass so, on an unusually cold and rainy San Diego day, I had to wait outside near the gate for him to arrive. The security guards were kind enough to pass it through to him but he was not getting through the turnstiles without it.