Book worms?

CruiserByHeart

Currently aboard Equinox which has a pretty substantial library. Yesterday dw overheard woman complain to cd Rich Spacey that the library was a disorganized mess. Books all mis-sorted. She told Spacey that as it was probably a small issue for him she was willing to organize the library herself. Well, apparently Spacey took the issue to heart, as several dancers from the performance troupe have spent the last two days sorting books.

I love this story.

I love this story.
and this thread !

Great tips. As an aside, here in the Netherlands VAT is payable on both e and print books. It's been my experience on pricing specific books for my book club that the digital version is very often more expensive than the print. This in part as it may be possible to source a second hand print copy. I also feel uncomfortable spending more than say, half the pb price , on a digital copy on a book I may not care for and cannot pass on.

That said, it is difficult to beat the convenience of a kindle for 'light' holiday reading.

Before leaving you should load the maximum allowed from your existing source...delete when read and reload in ports with free wifi spots...

Mine are free from our public libara and use my Samsung tablet. There is a checkout limit,,,easy to return when book is completed and get more,

Library on board not very good..more for show, no librarian that I have seen...and stores on board have few if any paperbacks for sale.

and this thread !

Great tips. As an aside, here in the Netherlands VAT is payable on both e and print books. It's been my experience on pricing specific books for my book club that the digital version is very often more expensive than the print. This in part as it may be possible to source a second hand print copy. I also feel uncomfortable spending more than say, half the pb price , on a digital copy on a book I may not care for and cannot pass on.

That said, it is difficult to beat the convenience of a kindle for 'light' holiday reading.

You can lend kindle books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently aboard Equinox which has a pretty substantial library. Yesterday dw overheard woman complain to cd Rich Spacey that the library was a disorganized mess. Books all mis-sorted. She told Spacey that as it was probably a small issue for him she was willing to organize the library herself. Well, apparently Spacey took the issue to heart, as several dancers from the performance troupe have spent the last two days sorting books.

We got off Equinox on Monday. You are right, the library was a disorganized mess. Foreign language books mixed in with English, books just shoved back anywhere. If people do not want to return their book in the right place, it would be much better if they just left it on a table in the library and let some staff member put it in the right place. I am a voracious reader and I buy books at a Rotary Club sale for $2 each, some of them brand new. Love that sale. I usually pack 5 or 6 books to donate. I only found one book this time that I would enjoy and yes, I put it back in its proper place. Kudos to Richard Spacey for getting the library organized properly.

Thank you everybody for your great advice! :D

No, actually storage in the device is not a limitation - the number of books allowed to be downloaded from our online resources is the problem. Our local libray only allows for 3 downloads at a time and the same is true for each of the online rental services.

I know 3 services times 3 books should cover most for two weeks, but my DW reads at least a book a day - and not always litterature to my liking, so I would appreciate to have a few of "my own" :)

And yes, we do also plan to be out and about to enjoy the offerings of the vessel, bars, lounges, shows, dances and talks ;p

Kindle for I-Pad will allow you to download enough books to fulfill your DW's love of reading, however if you are not getting internet on the ship, she will have to do it before she leaves. You will obviously pay by the book, but a combo of that and bringing a couple of paperbacks from home may work. Agree that Book Bub and some other services will help locate some cheap reads.

Kindle Unlimited is a monthly subscription service, if you haven't tried it, you might be able to get a month free, then cancel after you download all the books that you want. Prime Reading is a benefit of Amazon Prime (do you have Amazon Prime in Denmark?), but the selection of books is much more limited than KU, but if you are already a Prime member, that would be a resource for a few free books as well. Do her books need to be in Danish, that might be a limiting factor too, perhaps?

I have a Paperwhite and the Kindle app on phone, IPad, and I confess on my computer at work. I always take my Paperwhite with me when I travel, even if I have the IPad too, because the Paperwhite screen not only works in sunlight, but it also doesn't cause headaches the way a backlit screen will.

Another Kindle fan here - won't travel without it. One real advantage to the Kindle that I haven't seen mentioned is the ability to easily change type size. I'm not quite ready for the cataract surgery my doctor says I need, and the bigger size type really helps. I recently picked an older hard cover book off our home bookshelves that I wanted to re-read, but there's no way I could handle the small type.

The price issue on Amazon books is interesting - it's possible to download plenty of very cheap or free books, many of them entertaining enough for a lazy day at sea, but for best sellers and many good authors, the Kindle price is about the same as the hardcover. We check their new listings frequently and when there's an expensive book we really want to read, we put it on our "Wish List" and wait to purchase it until just before a trip. Often the price has dropped by a few dollars by the time we buy it.

The price issue on Amazon books is interesting - it's possible to download plenty of very cheap or free books, many of them entertaining enough for a lazy day at sea, but for best sellers and many good authors, the Kindle price is about the same as the hardcover. We check their new listings frequently and when there's an expensive book we really want to read, we put it on our "Wish List" and wait to purchase it until just before a trip. Often the price has dropped by a few dollars by the time we buy it.

(OK, my experience is with amazon.co.uk and not .com but) we find that prices for recent releases for our favourite (holiday reading) authors only stay high for a limited period. Rather than purchase as soon as they are released, we just wait until later.

We know what we like a do not chase best sellers but, few best sellers stay so for very long. Unless you have to have what everyone else is reading, my advice would simplky be to wait.

Kindle paperwhite all the way. Can hold tons of books, loads of free books on Amazon, or very cheap ones. Can read in the sun, or in the dark in bed as it is backlit, light to carry and slips into your bag.

Kindle for me, too, but I remember on our last cruise on the QM II, the library was the equal of a small town's. Just fantastic, not that this does anyone on a Celebrity ship any good. If your taste runs to history and biography, you might do well on X which also specializes in some very boring political studies