Did You See RCL's New Ship Will Skip Check in With a Selfie App?

ChucktownSteve

RCL's Symphony, when launched next year, will have a mobile check in.

This from their lengthy PR release:

"The latest technological innovations will be integrated throughout Symphony, including a redesigned check-in experience that eliminates lines and bypasses the counter. The new process will leverage a combination of facial recognition, bar codes and beacons to make boarding fast and frictionless.

Guests will check-in via the brand's new mobile app and seamlessly upload their security "selfie" to create their on-board account from the comfort of their home. Upon arrival, guests will go through a security screening and then head straight to their stateroom, where their key will be ready and waiting."

I can't speak for RCL's IT department, but does anyone think Celebrity could pull this off with their IT Gurus?

rcl's symphony, when launched next year, will have a mobile check in.

This from their lengthy pr release:

"the latest technological innovations will be integrated throughout symphony, including a redesigned check-in experience that eliminates lines and bypasses the counter. The new process will leverage a combination of facial recognition, bar codes and beacons to make boarding fast and frictionless.

Guests will check-in via the brand's new mobile app and seamlessly upload their security "selfie" to create their on-board account from the comfort of their home. Upon arrival, guests will go through a security screening and then head straight to their stateroom, where their key will be ready and waiting."

i can't speak for rcl's it department, but does anyone think celebrity could pull this off with their it gurus?

ugh! Not in this milennium!

I'm sure they'll continue to have port staff available for those who cannot use a smartphone or for who it isn't working. If only half of the ship uses this check-in method, you're still talking about more than 1,000 people minimum who will not need to interact with a human at a desk. This will eventually allow them to reduce the number of people needed to check in a cruise, which I'm sure will save lots of $. Labor is always a big expense.

Now whether or not Celebrity's IT department will be able to develop something like this that works consistently...

RCL's Symphony, when launched next year, will have a mobile check in.

This from their lengthy PR release:

"The latest technological innovations will be integrated throughout Symphony, including a redesigned check-in experience that eliminates lines and bypasses the counter. The new process will leverage a combination of facial recognition, bar codes and beacons to make boarding fast and frictionless.

I can't speak for RCL's IT department, but does anyone think Celebrity could pull this off with their IT Gurus?

I believe it is one IT department working for both lines, similar to the sales centers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums