Purchasing HAL excursions, internet, soda package question

perfect match

With HAL, is is cheaper to purchase these in advance, or wait until we get on board?

We are first timers on HAL, but have multiple cruises on several other lines. On some of those other lines, prices went up if you waited to book until you were on board. I do want to use OBC for some of our purchases, so I know that with HAL we will have to wait until we are actually on board to do that. (Yes, it really was nice to be able to spend OBC on these things before we sailed, but I get it that HAL doesn't let you do that.)

Also, how is the internet on Koningsdam? I have only bought internet on our last 2 cruises. Both times it was an unlimited plan, which I loved! I don't spend a lot of time on the internet on cruises, but it was nice to not have to wonder about slow speeds using up minutes, not getting logged out right, or just having to watch the clock every time I did go online.

Thanks

...slow speeds using up minutes, not getting logged out right, or just having to watch the clock every time I did go online.

This accurately describes the internet on the Koningsdam. And, unless it has changed recently, there is no unlimited internet package.

Excursions and most other things are the same price on board or pre-paid. There are "dine around" packages for the specialty restaurants that give a small discount, but off-hand I can't think of anything else. If you look at prices of liquor or wine they appear to be more expensive pre-paid but that is because the prices already have the 15% service charge included.

Sometimes you can purchase a spa package the first day at a lower cost than if purchased in advance. That's the only thing I can think of that may have a lower price on board.

I know that if you plan to purchase the Signature Beverage Package, that will have a lower price if purchased in advance.

Nancy,

It appears that you are sailing on the K'dam. If true, you may wish to make reservations for the Tamarind restaurant pre-sailing. The Tamarind is very often a hard ticket to get on board, especially prime seating times and the day of. Tamarind is getting a lot of really good chatter, rightfully so, and is becoming more popular than the Pinnacle Grill.

Other than that, the spa offers "deals" on Embarkation day. The Signature Beverage Package is a little cheaper pre- , like 5.00 or so per day.

Enjoy your cruise, and take a look at the Cruise Critic Roll Call for you sailing. Very likely you can get in on a Meet and Mingle and meet some very experienced HAL cruisers that can give you some tips and tricks to make your cruise more enjoyable.

Jim

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. We cruise several different lines, so I sometimes mix up what policies go with what cruise line, and I wanted to be sure that I had the right ones in my mind for HAL.

I will purchase a small internet plan once on board using some of our OBC so I can stay in touch with family, pet sitter, and our private excursion vendors as needed, but I won't get my hopes up for doing much more than that. Besides, I'm on a ship to enjoy being on the ship, not to hang out on the internet. I can do that at home!

We aren't much for the spa, or specialty dining, so I'm willing to take my chances with that. There is only one port I was planning a HAL excursion for and there are a number of choices that could work for us there, so I'll take my chances with that since I want to use OBC to pay for whatever we choose.

Cruise docs and luggage tags are ready to go, my scuba gear is packed, and regular packing is under way. :cool: It has been a year :eek: since our last cruise, and I am SO READY to be back on a ship again! Yes, I'm going to drive everyone I know crazy talking about this cruise over the next two weeks! :ship: