Horrible experience with Air2Sea program on Rhapsody of the Seas

jdjlt

Well to update you, the Royal Caribbean agent actually called me back today. Bottom line is that they claim they fulfilled all of their obligations and no formal apology about how the matter was handled by Royal Caribbean/Air2Sea was tendered and no compensation (either cash refund or future cruise credit) will be considered.

Hard to believe they would react that way after the way you were treated.

If you did not book thru Royal and had airfare that wasn’t changeable am I right in saying you would have had to buy another airfare?

Would have travel insurance covered the cost if Royal didn’t pay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually when there is a weather problem like that the airlines let you move flights without fees. And I t's not like the planes were going to be taking off in such fog.

In this situation it's a total liability to book through a group like air2sea. While the group was waiting for news while, no doubt (and obviously since people got new flights), people on the back end were moving flights around with the airlines, each individual who booked their own flights was on the phone personally with their airline making the changes much much faster. (Or individual TAs helping their individual customers)

The individuals were absolutely getting the closer-in/better flights.

Edited by mollyeilis

Usually when there is a weather problem like that the airlines let you move flights without fees. And I t's not like the planes were going to be taking off in such fog.

In this situation it's a tidal liability to boom through a group like air2sea. While the group was waiting for news while, no doubt (and obviously since people got new flights), people on the back end were moving flights around with the airlines, each individual who booked their own flights was on the phone personally with their airline making the changes much much faster. (Or individual TAs helping their individual customers)

The individuals were absolutely getting the closer-in/better flights.

Thanks for the that.

Handy to know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also agree with the implied point that out of 500 passengers, you would think that at least one would know how to turn on their cell phone and call Royal and/or Air2Sea. I visualize all these sheep milling around in a field, just hoping for a dog to guide them. Royal should provide the sheep dogs and are clearly at fault for not doing so, but really people! You stand around for six hours and just passively wait to be told what to do?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Spoke with Concierge aboard ship who stated there was no need to call as everything had been arranged including new flights, accommodation and transport.

After leaving ship I found this not to be the case so telephoned RCCL and then their incident hotline.

The result? I was told to speak to a representative at Venice Port who was dealing with the situation.

Apparently they were aware of the situation and as it was being dealt with, there was nothing more they could or would do.

In regards to milling around the foggy car park, I believe we would still be in that car park on direction of RCCL if there had not been a minor revolt at 9.30pm with passengers marching into the terminal building at the objection of one of the Royal Caribbean reps, so in this instance no sheepdogs were required :D

Although I agree with the poster that a lack of communication and results ended in a frustrating situation. Plus sometimes companies just drop the ball on this.

Some questions came to my mind. First, Air2Sea is a travel agent contracted for RCCL. Let's put more blame on them.

Next, ATT charges you $10.00 a day for unlimited talking, texting and data. I don't understand the issues with not being able to contract the airlines yourself. Or calling Air2Sea. Or why someone had an $125.00 phone bill.

Didn't anyone ever try to find a hotel, on a highway late at night? Now trying for 500 passengers. Yes, the hotels found were not the best, but maybe it was the only choices. I'm not defending the company, but just stating some thoughts on what may have happened.

Travel interruptions happen all the time. The more people affected, the harder it is to manage. You only have x number of flights, with x number of seats, that are already booked. On top of it, the airlines had restricted take-offs or late arrivals to deal with. Add it all up, and you get chaos for a day. I personally experienced that chaos once and arrived 8 hours later and another group that I know arrived almost a day late. So I was lucky. But I had a phone, and see above, the $10.00 per day international package. I was on the phone with the airlines, and they worked getting 8 people booked on a flight and the other group, did not. Did I say, we had a travel group arranging this (like Air2Sea) so really, the only difference was I had a phone.

You can always blame others, and those others did have some blame, but you can also take some matters into your own hands, and take charge. In my case, we had to wait in this extremely long and chaotic lines, and while in line, I was on the phone and was able to walk off the line, and move to the next line once we had a confirmed seat.

Moral of the story is that it is over, you got home, and next time, learn from it. Don't think any other cruise line or any other travel group will do better.

Next, ATT charges you $10.00 a day for unlimited talking, texting and data. I don't understand the issues with not being able to contract the airlines yourself. Or calling Air2Sea. Or why someone had an $125.00 phone bill.

They may have been using their phone while on the ship, not in the port, which I do not believe would be covered by any international calling plan. The on board ship rates are quite high.

As I said earlier I was on the cruise on the14th, waiting for their ship. It was awful for them and then RC compounded the mess by totally Messing up the very- late boarding. That the cruisers maintained an even keel was amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We use Air2Sea all the time, and what this shows me is to contact them directly as soon as there is a problem. It sounds like the people on the ship were just telling you whatever it would take to get you off the ship and out of their hair.

I agree. I have found that often onboard whatever the issue is, they will tell you whatever it takes to make you go away. To be fair this is not always the case, but I have found from personal experience that it does happen more often than one would think. :)

What is it with you people who scold about paragraphs or someone using their status to make a point. STOP IT

STOP BEING MEAN.

Why yesterday RCI agent was trying to sell me on the idea of use their AIR program telling me they take care of you.

What part of the story did you not get because you only thought of paragraphs or status. If 500 people were stranded on dock, that is some serious issue. Have some empathy Please :mad:

What is it with you people who scold about paragraphs or someone using their status to make a point. STOP IT

STOP BEING MEAN.

Why yesterday RCI agent was trying to sell me on the idea of use their AIR program telling me they take care of you.

What part of the story did you not get because you only thought of paragraphs or status. If 500 people were stranded on dock, that is some serious issue. Have some empathy Please :mad:

I can think of several reasons why paragraphs matter. If someone has poor eyesight, maybe is recovering from eye surgery, might have dyslexia, whatever. Paragraphs make it possible for a person to read without excessive strain. Have some empathy!

As far as status, I have looked at a couple of different lines, studied the perks that go with their loyalty programs. Discounts, special offers, etc. But nowhere does it say that a passenger gets to have everything their own way just because they have been there before. People here often brag on their status as though it gives them extra consideration beyond what was promised to them. Some people, you give them an inch, they'll take a mile.