Nonrefundable clarification

iiramos

If cancellations are such a problem why do they keep running promos featuring low deposits? Kind of encourages multiple bookings.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think they have had a reduced deposit promo since the non-refundable deposits have gone into effect.

Hello, I need clarification please.

On September 7, 2017, I placed a $266.99 nonrefundable deposit on a sailing for June 9, 2018 (minimum deposit was $250.00).

Unfortunately, I had to cancel the reservation yesterday.

Is the $266.99 vaporized into thin air or is it suspended as a credit to use in the future?

If it is a credit, do I have to call RCCL to confirm I do have this amount as a credit? I don't see anything when I log into my C&A account.

Thanks!

On September 7, 2017, I placed a $266.99 nonrefundable deposit on a sailing for June 9, 2018 (minimum deposit was $250.00).

Is the $266.99 vaporized into thin air or is it suspended as a credit to use in the future?

If it is a credit, do I have to call RCCL to confirm I do have this amount as a credit? I don't see anything when I log into my C&A account.

Thanks!

I believe you forfeit $100.00 per person and what is left over can be applied to another booking made within a year.

Do you really think that RCI is doing this for the whopping $100 fee?

For all the other headaches it will cause?

No not a single 100 but when you multpy it by what ever the % of cancellation to booked and taken is it could be a substantial amount to the bottom line. If a 1000 people/quarter book then cancel. That 100 becomes a 100,000 x 4 quarters that 400,000 of money that people gave the cruiseline , just because they decided not to take a cruise they booked a year ago. I have no idea of the actual # or % is Yes it a litle work for someone to put that cabin back on the market. In todays electronic world more than likely when someone cancels it is back on the market with in minutes and no human inyrtaction

Thanks!

If it's just one person you should get a FCC for $150, lose $100 for the cancellation and get a credit of $16.99 on the credit card you used for the deposit.

No not a single 100 but when you multpy it by what ever the % of cancellation to booked and taken is it could be a substantial amount to the bottom line. If a 1000 people/quarter book then cancel. That 100 becomes a 100,000 x 4 quarters that 400,000 of money that people gave the cruiseline , just because they decided not to take a cruise they booked a year ago. I have no idea of the actual # or % is Yes it a litle work for someone to put that cabin back on the market. In todays electronic world more than likely when someone cancels it is back on the market with in minutes and no human inyrtaction

There were times when you could change your cabin yourself by going into the reservation. The one time I did this I checked inventory right after to make sure my new cabin did not appear. My old cabin was already back on the list as available.

If it's just one person you should get a FCC for $150, lose $100 for the cancellation and get a credit of $16.99 on the credit card you used for the deposit.

Yes, I forgot about the little bit extra she paid above the required deposit. That seemed a bit odd.

Exactly. If you cannot predict your travel plans, then book refundable, or wait to book. If you can be more solid in your plans, then you get a savings to book NRD.

This is why the suites all have NRD. Too many people were booking lots of cruises just in case, and then canceling most of them at the last minute.

Oh, and BTW, if you wait, there may not be any NRD deals available at that point. Or even any cabins at all.

In that case I have the benefit of having more money in my bank account.:)

1) Not all reservations are NRD. Only if you opt for the lower price or book a suite. So RCI gives you a $400 - $600 discount (based on reports in this thread) and you take the chance of giving them $100. That is a real money maker for RCI.

2) $400,000 is peanuts. One cruise on a mega ship is over 4000 passengers. At a base cost of $1000 per passenger, that is $4 million, PER CRUISE, PER SHIP. And the average cruise price probably more than $1000.

Is the basis better bottom line for RCI? ABSOLUTELY. They are a business, and that is what a successful business does. But the way to do that, may be cheaper cruising for more people, which is also a benefit for US, the customer.

Or maybe the benefit comes from having available cabins for people who really plan on taking the cruise available. Maybe RCI has figured that some people will look, and if they cannot get what they want, they change their travel plans to not cruise. And people were holding up lots of cabins just in case.

But airlines offer non-refundable fares, and have for YEARS. And people love them, as they get lower airfare.

Heck, the same people who are complaining about RCI NRD, mention their non-refunable airfare in getting to their cruises.

Hilarious.

Heck, the same people who are complaining about RCI NRD, mention their non-refunable airfare in getting to their cruises.

Hilarious.

Not so hilarious. The airlines have people somewhat over a barrel as flying tends to be a necessity in order to accomplish something else. I don't know many people that book airline flights just to go for a joy ride. Cruises, on the other hand, are not a necessity. Make the contract too risky, make the deposit risky, make enough thinks too risky and eventually people will either look for less risky ways to spend their disposable income or wait as long as they can to put it at risk.

Make the contract too risky, make the deposit risky, make enough thinks too risky and eventually people will either look for less risky ways to spend their disposable income or wait as long as they can to put it at risk.

It seems to have worked just fine for a very long time outside of NA where the norm is have only NRD fares (and no price drops).

I booked a cruise with a refundable deposit. Am I right in assuming I can change it to a NRD before final payment? I'd like to keep my refundable deposit option until I'm 100% sure we are going (which will be sometime before final payment). If we'd save money by switching to NRD, I'd like to do that closer to final payment date.

I booked a cruise with a refundable deposit. Am I right in assuming I can change it to a NRD before final payment? I'd like to keep my refundable deposit option until I'm 100% sure we are going (which will be sometime before final payment). If we'd save money by switching to NRD, I'd like to do that closer to final payment date.

Yes you can

You can do that, but have to switch to the current rate. If the boat is near full, then the NRD may be much higher than what you paid. Once they implemented NRD options, it brought the cost to book a room down 300pp, but that was still 300pp higher than we paid when we booked it.

Not really- in many cases the old refundable rate became the new NRD rate and the new refundable rate was higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hence why I said it was $300 cheaper, but still $300 more than we paid. For the most part, prices seem to go up as time passes, so unless you booked the day before nrd went in, the change may have had to do with NRD, but it may have just been prices going up.

Hence why I said it was $300 cheaper, .

My point was that in many cases it was not cheaper. We had plenty of reports of the old refundable rate being x on the day before NRD started and then the next day the NRD rate was x and the new refundable rate was x+$200.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It seems to have worked just fine for a very long time outside of NA where the norm is have only NRD fares (and no price drops).

I did not say this was going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I simply said people do have a point, which is different for everyone, where they will either feel the risks involved are no longer acceptable, do what they can to minimize the risk, or try to shorten the time that they are at risk.

Ha ha ha, jokes on me...I switched to a nonrefundable to save $600 but something just came up a day later and I might have to cancel! [emoji24]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

They give a 24 hour grace period if you are still within that time frame give them a call.