HAL transfer from Ft Lauderdale cruise port to the airport

akenned

I feel sorry for those who cannot afford to use it and then feel need to justify their decision by denigrating a (fairly priced) service that has great value to many.
I highly doubt that anyone ever chose a taxi because they couldn't afford the HAL transfer. That's peanuts compared to the cost of the cruise.

I highly doubt that anyone ever chose a taxi because they couldn't afford the HAL transfer. That's peanuts compared to the cost of the cruise.[/color][/size][/font]

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, based on what I have seen on CC, I have come to the exact opposite opinion. A very wise law school professor once advised, "Whenever someone says it's not about the money, you can be sure it is about the money!" So when I see folks on here actually saying their choices are based on cost, I'm even more convinced that it is "about the money". JMO YMMV

"Whenever someone says it's not about the money, you can be sure it is about the money!"
Sure it's about the money - why should I pay double if I don't need or want to be taken care of by HAL? That's NOT the same as saying that I CAN'T AFFORD to. Edited by catl331

I have used it and it was great! I don't know if they still offer this, but the night before, they checked our luggage on the ship for the airline. We didn't see our bags again until we arrived home. That was really nice! [emoji41

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How can you clear customs in Port Everglades without your luggage?

We have always used a cab. To and from the port. Never experienced much of a wait for a cab.

From our experience why would two of us pay $38. to wait for a retired Greyhound bus to fill up and then make stops at various terminal doors when we can jump in a cab and go directly to our airport door? And pay about $20 inclusive of tip in the bargain! Does not matter if it is HAL or any other cruise line.

Sure it's about the money - why should I pay double if I don't need to to be taken care of by HAL? That's NOT the same as saying that I CAN'T AFFORD to.

None of my Posts was addressed to, directed at, or intended for, you personally.

As to your comment about being "taken care of by HAL", that is exactly what appeals to many cruisers who are not able to get around as well as they would like and/or who just don't want the hassle of doing some things on their own.

Again, FWIW, I did not say that you cannot afford the price of a HAL transfer, so no need for you to continue stirring that pot.

Edited by avian777

We have always used a cab. To and from the port. Never experienced much of a wait for a cab.

From our experience why would two of us pay $38. to wait for a retired Greyhound bus to fill up and then make stops at various terminal doors when we can jump in a cab and go directly to our airport door? And pay about $20 inclusive of tip in the bargain! Does not matter if it is HAL or any other cruise line.

... so it is "about the money"!!! I hadn't factored in the cost of the driver's tip ... but that certainly does put this matter in sharper focus. Thanks for pointing this out to everyone!!!

Does anyone have any experience with using HAL's post cruise transfer service? Is it just a shuttle/bus? My husband will need to get to the airport after the cruise and I'm wondering if its worth the $19 cost. I'm trying to make it as smooth and hassle free as possible for him. After reading the other thread about problems with taxi cabs over charging, I'm wondering if it's a better option.

Yes, we have used the service. It is ok. It was a big bus, the driver was cordial. We also use a taxi most of the time.

I highly doubt that anyone ever chose a taxi because they couldn't afford the HAL transfer. That's peanuts compared to the cost of the cruise.[/color][/size][/font]

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

How can you clear customs in Port Everglades without your luggage?

Even using HAL’s Transfer you still have to claim your bags in the terminal, either by yourself or a porter, go thru Customs then your bags are loaded on the bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even using HAL’s Transfer you still have to claim your bags in the terminal, either by yourself or a porter, go thru Customs then your bags are loaded on the bus.

When we have used HAL transfers in conjunction with the Luggage Direct service, we have not been required to claim our luggage to go through US Customs.

When we have used HAL transfers in conjunction with the Luggage Direct service, we have not been required to claim our luggage to go through US Customs.

True if you have Luggage Direct but not true if only Transfer, nothing was mentioned about LD, that I saw [emoji16]

True if you have Luggage Direct but not true if only Transfer, nothing was mentioned about LD, that I saw [emoji16]

To present a complete picture I thought it was necessary to cover the Luggage Direct situation since LD had in fact been mentioned in earlier Posts (specifically Posts #3, #14, #15 & #16) on this Thread. Sorry if you took my attempt at helpfulness as a personal affront. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

To present a complete picture I thought it was necessary to cover the Luggage Direct situation since LD had in fact been mentioned in earlier Posts on this Thread. Sorry if you took my attempt at helpfulness as a personal affront. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Of course all of these options are available “if you can afford it” correct? [emoji17]

Our choice of a cab has absolutely nothing to do with money.

It is about using what we consider to be a substandard service in comparison to private taxi. For the same reason we never take a hotel van transfer to the port, free of otherwise.

Really, after spending thousands of dollars on a cruise, flights, pre cruise hotels do you really think that our choice was/is made on the basis of money? Why wrap yourself up in your own preconceived notions?

... Really, after spending thousands of dollars on a cruise, flights, pre cruise hotels do you really think that our choice was/is made on the basis of money? Why wrap yourself up in your own preconceived notions?

Please rest assured that none of my Posts was directed to, or aimed at, you personally. Natheless, as the old saying goes, "If the shoe fits, wear it.":D

We place value well above price. For us, a cruise line transfer to FLL falls well short on both counts based on our preferences.

We would not consider a cruise line bus transfer even if it was free. It might be different for us because we only have carry on-no large or heavy suitcases/bags.

This morning we disembarked from the Regal Princess at Port Everglades. We decided to grab a taxi to the airport since the queue was not too long.....(we would have used Uber if the line were long). The taxi ran the meter, took the most direct route (we know Ft Lauderdale) and the meter read $13.00 when we reached the airport terminal. They also had a separate line-up of larger van/taxis for groups of more then 2. We did an early walkoff (we had a 10:30 flight) and noticed several Princess shuttle buses waiting to be filled. We waited about 10 min to get our taxi and were off to the airport before any Princess shuttle bus had departed. Our taxi driver was very good, loaded all of our heavy luggage...and later unloaded the same and deposited each piece on the sidewalk (at the airport) within 10 feet of our curbside check-in. The transfer cost us $18 (I gave the driver a $5 tip) for 2 persons and I suspect got us to the airport 15-30 minutes faster then any shuttle. Also consider that shuttle buses do not necessarily drop you at your preferred terminal. I should also mention that there were 6 ships in port this morning..and the airport security line for Gates A and B (Southwest) was pretty long. Even TSA pre-check did not help since they put everyone in a single queue to be sniffed by a drug dog.

Hank