On Board Liquor Store

tchelle73

liquor is always cheaper in the ports, same wait period

Not sure about Carnival, but some lines will price match with port prices. If the port has something that is cheaper than the ship store, just take a picture of the price tag. Then you don't have to haul it around the port, back on the ship, etc.

liquor is always cheaper in the ports, same wait period

We have not found that to be the case. My husband likes Alberfeldy 18 I believe and it was considerably cheaper from Carnival than at the port.

I don't have a price list though, they seem to run several different specials during the cruise as well.

• 4 months later...
so they sell wine on the ship?

Not in the liquor store on the Magic or the Breeze, at least at the times I cruised.

They have a wine package called something like Cruise the Vineyards and of course you can buy it by the bottle from the wine list in the Steakhouse. I never noticed if that option is offered in the MDR.

so they sell wine on the ship?

They sell wine on the ship ... in forms of a wine package or individual bottles for meals. A bottle of (gross) Kendall Jackson chard is like $45! I don't recall seeing wine in the liquor shops on boards. I have bought some great wines in port.

I once bought "duty free" liquor onboard, but never again. I don't think the miniscule savings for the two liters you are allowed to bring back is worth the hassle of carrying heavy breakable bottles back home.

Even with wrapping, I once had a bottle of gin bust in my luggage on the plane. A very expensive lesson to learn. There is no savings at the onboard liquor store.

I once bought "duty free" liquor onboard, but never again. I don't think the miniscule savings for the two liters you are allowed to bring back is worth the hassle of carrying heavy breakable bottles back home.

Even with wrapping, I once had a bottle of gin bust in my luggage on the plane. A very expensive lesson to learn. There is no savings at the onboard liquor store.

You can bring as much back as you want. Typically they won't even bother to deal with charging you duty, unless you have like 10+ bottles.

Many of us that buy the bottles are purchasing items that you can't purchase back home.

Bubble wrap, rubber bands, Ziploc bag, never had any issues

Many of us that buy the bottles are purchasing items that you can't purchase back home.

I agree that customs generally does not enforce the duty free limits, but I still think the savings is not worth the hassle.

If you truly can't get something back home that may make it worthwhile... but I only drink run of the mill stuff.

I agree that customs generally does not enforce the duty free limits, but I still think the savings is not worth the hassle.

If you truly can't get something back home that may make it worthwhile... but I only drink run of the mill stuff.

I’ll just add that some pax, that don’t even drink, buy liquor to resell when they get home for 3-4x what they bought it for while cruising.

It’s pure white Hennessy,typically you can get it for $30-35 a bottle on board or in the islands....But just go take a peek on eBay to see what people are paying for it.

Interesting since Ebay doesn't generally allow such things

https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/alcohol.html

Not sure how they would prevent a minor from buying. Some other legal issues come to mind.

The ship had way better prices than in port. I am a pro at bringing liquor back. I brought back over ten bottles in a checked luggage and it was so worth it. ;)Bubble wrap and zip lock bags.

Interesting since Ebay doesn't generally allow such things

https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/alcohol.html

Not sure how they would prevent a minor from buying. Some other legal issues come to mind.

I’ve seen it on eBay for well over a decade.

This is a cruise critic thread from 8 years ago,post #3

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1279467

The most we ever brought back was 54 bottles, mostly liter bottles of Crown Royal. There were 4 of us (me, my wife, and her parents). My mother-in-law was getting ready to host our engagement party and the ship had a really good sale on Crown. We pulled up to the Customs desk, with our bottles in those rolling things you can buy onboard -- since it clearly wouldn't fit in our suitcases -- and the officer just smiled and waved us on through. Fortunately, we didn't have to fly!

Since then, we've brought back more than our allowance of 2 bottles each time, but its just in our suitcases with plenty of bubblewrap!