Sailing NA Thanksgiving Week - Question about Electric Scooter Use

debcruising

Hi, I had a Total Knee Replacement mid-August and as my long-awaited NieuwAmsterdam 11/18 – 25 cruise approaches, I wanted to get feedback on the use ofan Electric Scooter on the ship. Booked in a Neptune Suite, so I know I will haveroom to store it.

My question is how easily it is to get around the ship with it. (Startedusing the scooter at work in April when the ACL gave out as I work in a large 3floor, 3 wing building. But I thought 3 months after surgery, the pain ofhealing would have subsided some and I could stop.) As a “local”, the scooter comes apart foreasy transport to PEG, which is a plus.

Can anyone let me know some “ins-and-outs” of scooter use on the ship?It will help me make up my mind to take it along or just “grin and bear it.” Thanks in advance for sharing your ideas.

Krazy Kruizer, thanks, I just told my roommate the scooter it's going to be "our third wheel" Better safe than sorry.

Honestly, if I had Googled all that a knee replacement entailed, I probably would not have done it! My response to the surgeon would have been, "You're kidding, you are going to do what!?"

Take the scooter; you won't be sorry.

The public areas of the ship are fairly easy to get around, for the most part. There are some lips between areas that can be difficult to negotiate as they are a bit too high. Getting outside (such as for muster) can also be difficult (if not impossible), again, because of the lip. Coming back inside is more difficult than getting outside.

You will quickly learn which areas are tough to get by, and to go around another way, or approach them on a better angle.

I would suggest pulling straight into the elevators, and backing out. If you have someone to push the call button for you it is a lot easier. Then place yourself between the elevators, and a few feet back, so you can get the angle on whichever one comes.

Depending on the size of the scooter, you may have a problem getting it in your cabin. There is a corridor with wall on one side, and closets on the other, and if you don't stay on a perfect line, you have a hard time.

If possible, you might be better off taking the scooter apart and bringing the pieces in. Storage of an intact scooter in a Neptune Suite can also be tight, again, depending on the size of the scooter.

When I went to a party in a Neptune Suite I parked my scooter in the Neptune Lounge, but that may not be a good solution for you.

Three months isn't long enough. By six months you will be much happier about your decision to have knee replacement surgery. Truly, it only gets better.

Three months isn't long enough. By six months you will be much happier about your decision to have knee replacement surgery. Truly, it only gets better.

Ruth, thank you so much for your reply and all the hints for easier negotiation on the ship!! Scooter model is a Bobcat x3 - midsize model I'd call it. I will be sure and pace myself so that I can attend Muster. I'm thinking of getting a back-up horn on it so I don't run anyone over.

Take care and I always read your posts as they are so informative!

Based on my traveling companion's experience on the Nieuw Amsterdam in a Signature Suite, she had plenty of room within our stateroom for the scooter on her side of the cabin. She had little difficulty using it throughout the ship. In the MDR, our table was close to the entrance on the upper level and she was able to park the scooter next to a wall near our table. At most of the ports, she was able to use it to visit the nearby port area where the ship was docked. Ruth's advice regarding elevator use and the scooter is right on. Just a word of caution, based upon our experience: when backing out of the elevator, be sure that no one is standing behind you.

Ruth, thank you so much for your reply and all the hints for easier negotiation on the ship!! Scooter model is a Bobcat x3 - midsize model I'd call it. I will be sure and pace myself so that I can attend Muster. I'm thinking of getting a back-up horn on it so I don't run anyone over.

Take care and I always read your posts as they are so informative!

I'm not sure how useful these would be but if you look at the deck plans on the Holland site, they have the wheel chair accessible routes shown. They also have a text version. I know you're talking about a scooter but these routes should work for those too.

My DH is rehabbing a foot injury and will be bringing a scooter aboard NA next week too. He's up for deck races if you are! :')

Aside from space issues in cabins (we'll be grinning and bearing it in a standard verandah cabin), we've heard from several previous cruisers that it has worked out pretty well. We're cautiously optimistic!

My DH is rehabbing a foot injury and will be bringing a scooter aboard NA next week too. He's up for deck races if you are! :')

Aside from space issues in cabins (we'll be grinning and bearing it in a standard verandah cabin), we've heard from several previous cruisers that it has worked out pretty well. We're cautiously optimistic!

I have found that the "standard verandah cabins" on the Signature Class ships seem smaller to me than the same category on the Vista Class ships. If so, I cannot imagine how my traveling companion and me could have managed in such a cabin for our cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam with her scooter.

Best wishes for a good cruise.

I have found that the "standard verandah cabins" on the Signature Class ships seem smaller to me than the same category on the Vista Class ships. If so, I cannot imagine how my traveling companion and me could have managed in such a cabin for our cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam with her scooter.

Best wishes for a good cruise.

Thanks! We're definitely concerned about how it's going to work. Fortunately he's ambulatory and the scooter disassembles, so hopefully the worst case scenario is that we get even better and taking it apart and putting it back together. We'll be like a pit crew by the end of the week. :')

Thanks! We're definitely concerned about how it's going to work. Fortunately he's ambulatory and the scooter disassembles, so hopefully the worst case scenario is that we get even better and taking it apart and putting it back together. We'll be like a pit crew by the end of the week. :')

Thanks for the good wishes. I keep my scooter at work, and have had other people put it together for me. My nephew will be with me and he will get the "Scooter Assembly 101 Class" from one of my co-workers! And I'll learn it as well as I have a Solo Christmas Cruise on the K'dam 12/20.

We had a standard veranda cabin on the NA last week. My wife has a very lightweight (35 pound) collapsible scooter, TravelScoot. She had no issues when she used it on the ship or getting on/off; but with the bed being close to the door, I had to pick it up and put it on the other side of the bed for her when she wasn't using it. I also thought that the door seemed a bit narrower than the other ships we have been on since she has been using it. If you have a suite, I would think you would be fine, as Ruth has confirmed with firsthand experience.

We had a standard veranda cabin on the NA last week. My wife has a very lightweight (35 pound) collapsible scooter, TravelScoot. She had no issues when she used it on the ship or getting on/off

Thanks for info MVPinBoynton! My scooter does come apart but is a bit bigger and heavier and I just keep it at work.

As for the cruise, I just rather take it with me, as I ALWAYS seem to be a casualty of Murphy's Law! I see your name says "Boynton". I live near the Boynton Beach mall!

Thanks for info MVPinBoynton! My scooter does come apart but is a bit bigger and heavier and I just keep it at work.

As for the cruise, I just rather take it with me, as I ALWAYS seem to be a casualty of Murphy's Law! I see your name says "Boynton". I live near the Boynton Beach mall!

Hi neighbor. We are near Jog and Woolbright.