Yarn, Stitching, Etc No Longer in Daily Bulletin

knittinggirl

On our Transpacific, AU, NZ, I had organized a craft group to meet on sea days. We tried to get the cruise director to put it in the daily program, but he said corporate had said it wasn't a sanctioned activity.

Anybody had any luck getting their knitting/stitching group in the daily program.

I found the daily program so boring, it was all the same. No reason to read it except for weather and dining times.

I agree that groups such as stitching/knitting etc.that meet regularly could be publicized for all passengers. However, having been fortunate to be able to sail on longer (30+ days) cruises, that list can get long - AND make it difficult for folks to find activities of broader interest (like lectures). The way the has been fixed on a number of my cruises, HAL sets-up some sort of Board where folks can post notices of passenger initiated activities/meeting either to recruit participants OR to announce meeting times and places for established groups.

This has seemed to be helpful for many. It has been located in the atrium - one time at the front desk level and a number of times next to the forward elevators on the lower atrium level.

Certainly requires more effort than reading the Once the word gets out (via he daily schedule) that such a board exists - lots of passengers seem to check it out.

I for one overall find the daily schedule published but HAL VERY HELPFUL. But, for people who find it boring and do not read it, including activities such as yours won't help anyway as they won't see it if it were to be included

I agree that groups such as stitching/knitting etc.that meet regularly could be publicized for all passengers. However, having been fortunate to be able to sail on longer (30+ days) cruises, that list can get long - AND make it difficult for folks to find activities of broader interest (like lectures). The way the has been fixed on a number of my cruises, HAL sets-up some sort of Board where folks can post notices of passenger initiated activities/meeting either to recruit participants OR to announce meeting times and places for established groups.

This has seemed to be helpful for many. It has been located in the atrium - one time at the front desk level and a number of times next to the forward elevators on the lower atrium level.

Certainly requires more effort than reading the Once the word gets out (via he daily schedule) that such a board exists - lots of passengers seem to check it out.

I for one overall find the daily schedule published but HAL VERY HELPFUL. But, for people who find it boring and do not read it, including activities such as yours won't help anyway as they won't see it if it were to be included

A lot of empty space on the bulletin, but I was happy to see the lectures were on the front page. Sadly, they only scheduled guest lectures on the Transpacific.

I've seen stitching/knitting groups listed on the daily program a couple of times, but it may be that there were partial charter cruises, or had a large enough group with rooms reserved so putting it in the daily program served not only to allow participants to find the group but also alert other passengers that the room or area would be off limits to them for a time.

While I was talking with a ship co-ordinator for setting up a Meet & Greet, I asked about the Sit and Stitch. She confirmed what I had read here on Cruise Critic that HAL would not be setting a time and place but our roll call was free to do so.

Karen is a serious knitter. She has been disappointed on our recent cruises that the Sit and Stitch note on sea days was not there. She requested something to be put there at the front desk and the look and verbal response was so negative she was surprised.

HOWEVER, note that there are daily things about bridge players meeting and chess players meeting, both un-hosted 'events' on sea days.

We got off Zuiderdam's 11-day trip in/out Panama Canal. It was only 3/4 full. On sea days, there was supposed to be a "Morning Stretch" next to the Lido Pool. (I am up early - always.) The gal from the spa was there to lead the sessions, the deck workers cleared the space, but no one showed. She stood there for 10 minutes and then left. Ho-hum! So much for appealing to a younger crowd on sea day.

Jim

Just got off the NA on 11/25 and the Daily "When and Where" did list Mah Jongg and Bridge sessions that were held.

Yes, Mah Jong, Bridge, (both near a place to buy drinks), shuffleboard, even Friends of Bill W and LGBT Meet Up.

I tried to buy a drink while we met, but I was the only one that did. A few people brought their non-HAL soft drinks. But if they had more people buying drinks at the Stitch group, I bet they'd schedule it.

• 2 weeks later...

For the knitters - knit and stitchers, crafters, etc.

My best recommendation is to just join your roll call and set a time when you are all going to get together. You'll be amazed how many are usually there already or want to join in.

there have been great groups on our cruises with no notices in the When and Where. :D

For the knitters - knit and stitchers, crafters, etc.

My best recommendation is to just join your roll call and set a time when you are all going to get together. You'll be amazed how many are usually there already or want to join in.

there have been great groups on our cruises with no notices in the When and Where. :D

Already posted the meeting time & location to our roll call.

I did pretty well on our last two cruises by posting it every week. That way people joining the roll call will have a better chance of seeing it.