11/25 to 12/10 Royal cruise, random thoughts

Todd320

I have also been on the Royal since Nov 25th, and I'm not impressed at all with the buffet food. I just ask one of the supervisors yesterday what happened to the food on Princess. He told me most probably it's the chef, because they always get their food from the same suppliers. Have been twice on Regal and loved the buffet, and when booking these 2 cruises I was so looking forward for the food. But so far not impressed at all. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad , but definitely not what it used to be. Even some of the pastries are like dry, like they have been made the day before.

Everybody has different tastes when regarding food and venues. Only two differences I noticed with the Horizon court from last months Regal cruise and now on the Royal is the Regal had no steamed rice only garlic. Also the chill on the Royal has gone runny, a far cry from what it used to be on the Royal. These are such minor things. We love the Horizon court on the Royal class ships.

Earlier I had said the Club Class was busier than normal but the last couple of nights it has gone back to what I call normal. For me normal is no more than 50% of the tables in use at prime time. For the previous 5 day and the first half of the 10 day it was about 80%.

Congratulations are in order for Captain Bob Oliver. I learned today from a Princess supervisor that this is Captain Oliver's retirement cruise. They are planing a big private retirement party for him tonight at 8pm in the sanctuary. They will also have a formal line up for him as he leaves the ship in Port Everglades

Hawely Magic is currently not performing on this 10 day cruise. They did performing on the first 5 day cruise of our B2B. Not sure is they are on vacation or not but they did have a long run on the Royal.

I have also been on the Royal since Nov 25th, and I'm not impressed at all with the buffet food. I just ask one of the supervisors yesterday what happened to the food on Princess. He told me most probably it's the chef, because they always get their food from the same suppliers. Have been twice on Regal and loved the buffet, and when booking these 2 cruises I was so looking forward for the food. But so far not impressed at all. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad , but definitely not what it used to be. Even some of the pastries are like dry, like they have been made the day before.

Chef David, who was the Executive Chef on the Royal from day 1, has recently left Princess and is now with Viking Cruises....a big loss for the Royal. He was a Michelin Starred Chef.

Chef David, who was the Executive Chef on the Royal from day 1, has recently left Princess and is now with Viking Cruises....a big loss for the Royal. He was a Michelin Starred Chef.
That's a real shame, he was on my last Royal cruise and the food was the best I've had on Princess hands down.

Yes, we were sorry to hear when we boarded that David McDonald had left Princess for Viking. We really enjoyed his 4 Chef’s table.

Edited by Todd320

Yes, we were sorry to hear when we boarded that David McDonald had left Princess for Viking. We really enjoyed his 4 Chef’s table.

Oh no.. we've been bragging so much about the food on the Royal to our friends. They are joining us on 1/9 for their first cruise. Hope the new chef doesn't dissapoint. :o