Jump RCI for Norwegian?

bandjwayne

My husband and I have cruised on ~10 cruises, with the majority being RCI and a few being Carnival. On this next cruise we've decided to leave the kids home so it will be just us adults. We're planning on taking advantage of the drink package. The itinerary isn't a big deal to us as we've been a lot of places and instead we want to enjoy the boat more this time. We enjoy the adventurous things on the ship just as rock wall climbing, flow rider, mini golf etc, but also enjoy just sitting in the hot tub with a drink.

So now to the question, we're trying to decide between RCI Allure and Norwegian Getaway.

Allure - we've never been on this class of ships so the ship itself would be new to us. We also love RCI. The drink package would definitely add more to the cost. The Serenity adults only area looks relaxing.

Getaway - We can get a price w/drinks pkgs plus a few specialty dining restaurants included. A spa balcony room is just a little more than what I figured the Allure would be w/the drink pkg included. From what I understand there is no adults only area (like Serenity), but the spa area would be adults only. I'm not sure about how we feel about the freestyle dining as we really like the regular dining on RCI, however since it's just my husband & I this time we'd most likely get seated at dinner w/strangers & I'm not sure how I feel about that. I've heard that the ship can seem really crowded compared to Allure.

Anyway, long story short. The costs and itineraries are about the same. SO...can anyone offer their takes on these 2 ships/companies and your pros/cons? I'm nervous about switching to Norwegian.

Freestyle dining is kinda like MyTime dining,,, you just show up to the MDRs when you want to eat. You will always get a table for 2 and it would be like eating at any restaurant at home. You would need to make reservations for any of the specialty dinging restaurants (similar to making reservations for chops, wonderland, or Jamie oliver's place). You should make reservations for the two main theater shows (similar to the allure). And with the drinks package, you can work your way down the cocktail menu, then start over again.

Freestyle sailing on NCL is very casual. You could wear shorts into all of the restaurants for dinner except Le Bistro and Ocean Blue. Shorts and a polo shirt for hubby at dinner in the MDR,,, a winner! Or if you want to get dressed up a little, photographers are out on nights 2-6 taking portraits all over the ship.

The Thermal Suite spa is really nice. large hot bubbling hydrotherapy pool. Steam rooms, wet and dry saunas, salt bath. lots of loungers and hot stone loungers to layback and relax.

The Getaway is the size of a Quantum class ship.

Be adventurous, do the water slides (freefall slides are great). Do the ropes course and walk the plank out over the edge of the ship.

Have Fun!

Our kids prefer Royal’s kids clubs, so we often sail them with the kids.

I prefer NCL without the kids, so we often sail them without the kids. Better specialty dining, better value with drink/dining packages, etc.

That being said, Oasis-class can’t be beat and should be experienced at least once. I’d probably lean to Allure, but you can’t go wrong with either option.

From what I understand there is no adults only area (like Serenity), but the spa area would be adults only.

Getaway has an adult-only area (Spice H2O) which is complimentary (hot tubs but no pool).

Getaway has an adult-only area (VIBE Beach Club) that is limited at an extra cost (hot tubs but no pool).

Getaway has an adult-only pool (during the day) which is open to all adults.

However, the Oasis class is an adventure regardless of itinerary.

We have been on the Allure and recently were on the Epic.

Differences we noted.

Dining Dress more casual on NCL

More Dining Choices NCL

Omelettes and Self Serve Ice cream available all around Buffet area.

Allure only has one small spot for Soft Serve and Omelettes

Sit down dining better on Allure

Buffet MUCH better on Epic.

Wifi if that is important is 1000X better on Allure EPIC and most of NCL Ships speeds are dialup quality if that makes a difference to you. On Allure we could stream Netflix with no problems.

Off hour food on Epic is much better than Allure.

we don't drink so cannot speak for packages or quality of drinks.

Getaway has an adult-only area (Spice H2O) which is complimentary (hot tubs but no pool).

Getaway has an adult-only area (VIBE Beach Club) that is limited at an extra cost (hot tubs but no pool).

Getaway has an adult-only pool (during the day) which is open to all adults.

However, the Oasis class is an adventure regardless of itinerary.

Thanks for this very helpful comparison!