Is the 48 hour 10% discount on shore excursions a real "promotion"?

sarmat1

Just booked in summer of 2018. I see in cruise manager a box that says:

Congratulations on your Booking!

Here's a Reward:

Get a 10% DISCOUNT on Shore Excursions 48 Hours Only

There's a clock countdown and an "Activate Now" box.

If I click on the box, though, it just brings me to 3 pre-selected (but changeable) excursions in 3 different ports with a 20% package discount. I believe the 20% off is standard for choosing excursions in 3 different ports. I was intrigued though if there really was a "10%" promotion on excursions booked within 48 hours of cruise booking as I've never seen that before.

Either mine doesn't work, or it's a fake promotion that just leads you to the 20% package discount.

Has anyone ever gotten the 10% promotion and used it and if so, what are the terms?

Edited by sarmat1

not if you consider the exact same excursion booked privately would be 20-40% less, not really

Yes, of course. We only book privately (other than 1 time when our private excursion got cancelled last minute). Still, I was curious if it was a real promo and what it applied to (after all FTTF is an excursion so I was trying to see if that could be sneaked in ;)). But it doesn't appear as if the 10% off actually exists at all . . . .

Yes, of course. We only book privately (other than 1 time when our private excursion got cancelled last minute). Still, I was curious if it was a real promo and what it applied to (after all FTTF is an excursion so I was trying to see if that could be sneaked in ;)). But it doesn't appear as if the 10% off actually exists at all . . . .

I asked my PVP about this- we also get a 10% discount on any Carnival excursion we book using our Carnival MasterCard so I asked if this applied to FTTF- unfortunately not! Even though it's sold in the Excursions area, it's not really considered an excursion so it's not eligible for any discounts that you could get on excursions. Too bad!

Carnival did run a "Black Friday" 10% off shore excursions that JH posted on his page/blog, which then appeared on the Carnival web site. I used it to re-book an excursion that I had already booked, but cancelled and re-booked using the promo code. 10% isn't a huge savings, but every little bit adds up.

No there’s not. You know there’s a free beach in mahogany bay?

Yes but it’s not West bay beach with great snorkeling and powder sugar sand. Sand at mahogany was imported/brought in by Carnival when they were building the beach. It’s more course and not as soft.

not if you consider the exact same excursion booked privately would be 20-40% less, not really
How does one go about booking them privately? I tried to book a ziplining tour directly with the local company but they wouldn't do it if I was on a cruise and they had a contractual obligation not to sell to cruise passengers.

I'm not stuck on ziplining. So, if I want to get an excursion for 20-40% off, how do I go about it? Should I walk off the cruise ship and see what the locals are offering?

Yes but it’s not West bay beach with great snorkeling and powder sugar sand. Sand at mahogany was imported/brought in by Carnival when they were building the beach. It’s more course and not as soft.

As well as slimy underfoot when one is in the water.

I can remember when Mahogany Bay was totally undeveloped and all ships docked in Coxen's Hole. A company called "Coral Cay" was the 1st to attempt "building" a beach there, I still have that souvenier magnet.

I've done land vacations on Roatan, and whenever I engaged a local about Mahogany Bay, all I heard about was how Carnival is draining money from the island. It does become a ghost area as soon as the ship leaves the dock.

As far as the 20% off bundle, I ttried it once this year on a NOLA cruise since I normally book independents. Saved a few bucks, maybe $60 or so. The cost of the excursions never went below the 100% cost quoted as the cruise date approached. I know some companies inflate prices and then advertise a sale, but that wasn't true in this case.