If it is so BAD why come back!

memabumpee

I just returned from the Truimph and have started to read some of the bad reviews, horror stories etc, I just wonder, this was our 3rd time on Truimph and I hear the same horror stories, The elavators were not working right, THEN WALK DOWN THE STAIRS. They damaged my luggage. CARRY IT YOURSELF, the food was cold on the lido deck, DON'T EAT THERE. My god the complaints I hear just kill me, As I stated we just returned, yes we also had the same problems, slow elavators, A/C not working, stewards moving stuff, an occasional smell in the halls, But you know what, we still had a great vacation and we are going to go again in Feb, It just find it amazing that on the last day of a cruise all of a sudden there is a long line at the pursers desk and the most commom complaint is " there good but not worth 10.00 per day"

I heard that several times just yesterday morning as I was in that line because our son went over $2.35 on his SS card and. If anyone is interested in my review it will be posted soon. We had a great time as we always do

I agree. It's all attitude. I'm not sure where this idea that "perfection" is required comes from. Cruising is a great all in one deal and you need to look for the good and have a good time. We recently returned from the 4 day Fantasy Bahamas cruise and had a great time. Was everything perfect? No. Is anything ever? No. I've read a couple of reviews about the ship and I'm thinking "were we on the same ship?" It amazes me what people choose to be picky about and how they think they have to "punish" the crew in order to get back.

memebumpee

First of all, welcome back! Glad you had a great vacation.

We've sailed the Destiny the last two years, and are going again in April. Yes, we've had slow elevators but that was usually at busy times like embarking, dinner time and disembarking so we expected those. Anyway, as long as I don't have to cook, clean and all that other stuff it's a great vacation. The perks of having someone else wait on us and meeting people from other parts of the country/world just make things better. As far as the complaining, I figure it's probably a VERY small percentage when you look at all the people who take a cruise every year.

Looking forward to your review.

Unfortunately, you will run into these people everyday. They are the ones who always send their food back at a restaurant, think they should never have to stand in any line anywhere, and think the whole world is out to cheat them. Sad that people can't just chill and quit acting like they are special.

I absolutely love to cruise. There are very few vacations you can go on where you have entertainment, better than average food presented quite nicely, gorgeous ever-changing views and wake up each morning in a new location, and all this included in your ticket price. Something that we must all remember is that we're all human beings and subject to error. This doesn't just all go away once we board a cruise ship. Plus, one has to look at how many people they're trying to please all at one time, and the impossiblities grow in "leaps and bounds." If we would all throw the word "perfection" away, and not stew on it, the world would be a much more laid back place. Perfection does not exist on this planet and there's nothing wrong with that. It still works fine. I do believe that some people have legitimate complaints, but those who are looking for perfection or a utopian experience are always going to be disappointed. I think that cruising is a great value and I know there will be things that will go wrong sometimes. There will be occasions where food is cold or not to your liking, and perhaps some strange smells in the hallways, or even the shows may not be your cup of tea. But all-in-all cruising is a wonderful expereience that many people do enjoy. This board is full of them. The common denominator of those who are very happy with cruising is that they realize that perfection on this world is merely a state of mind. If a few things aren't exactly to their liking they move on and look at the total expereience cruising provides. I've never had a "perfect" vacation, but my trip to Vancouver, B.C./Inside Passage cruise in 2003 was getting pretty close. I've been on a lot of land vacations and my cruising

vacation blew them all out of the water so to speak. HAPPY CRUISING!!!

" there good but not worth 10.00 per day"

How can people be so cheap?

To me, the "recommended" per day tip is the bare minimum anyone should pay (just like the 15% for waiters when we eat out). Now I agree, if the service from the individual is horrible, then you COULD adjust....but the best thing to do is write in the comment card.

But honestly, how many of the crew members provide less than satisfactory service?

I always tip more when they exceed my expectations......NEVER LESS!

(OK, now everyone can attack me for this.....but this is how I feel)

Attitude is everything. No matter how big the ship or the amount of passengers, it is still a confined space with a lot of people present.

It isn't required to be a "people" person but it helps. I think you do have to accept that the passengers and crew are part of the entertainment. I'm not a hard core socializer but I love watching people. Cruising is perfect for that.

I don't equate cruising with true "traveling". But that is why it is so relaxing for me. Lots of choices but very few mandatory decisions or crisies.

Cruising is almost like being a kid again and going to the "Best Grandma's House" in the world. Lots of goodies, food, sometimes hokey entertainment and lots of guilty pleasures. All I have to do is be happy.

On the tipping subject, I don't mind the Sail and Sign gratuity charge. I don't think "Trickle Down" works. And it still does give the passenger some control. It's the minimum for me also. I see no reason to feel guilty because I tip additional. I've not felt pressured, well, maybe with the exception of that darn Maitre de' envelope.

I agree with the OP. 17 people from our family sailed on the Triumph Nov. 26th. Before we left I read all kinds of bad reviews about the ship. I was really beginning to think I had made a bad choice of ships.

The only bad thing that happened was having to stand on the dock in Cozumel for over 2 hours waiting for the tender. Tell you what, we didn't let that ruin our cruise, As we waited we talked about the good time we had on the island. The Triumph is an awesome ship and we all had a great time on her.

Don't let a few negative reviews ruin your vacation.

[ My god the complaints I hear just kill me, As I stated we just returned, yes we also had the same problems, slow elavators, A/C not working, stewards moving stuff, an occasional smell in the halls, always do

Inquiring minds need an answer. If you experienced all of the above, that you said you experienced on your cruise, when you stay at a land based motel or hotel are you just as thrilled with the experience and you do not complain but go on the hotel chains review board and write a rave review?

[ My god the complaints I hear just kill me, As I stated we just returned, yes we also had the same problems, slow elavators, A/C not working, stewards moving stuff, an occasional smell in the halls, always do

Inquiring minds need an answer. If you experienced all of the above, that you said you experienced on your cruise, when you stay at a land based motel or hotel are you just as thrilled with the experience and you do not complain but go on the hotel chains review board and write a rave review?

A cruise IS a vacation, ain't it? Where the he11 are these people going that they need a Hemi powered NASCAR elevator???????

If we planned to atttend something on board and one of us says, "Hey, that thing starts in 5 minutes"! I think, "Well, I'll just keep doing what I've been doing then, cause evidently its what I want to be doing". Its why they call it a vacation.

Dan

To answer a couple of the guestions asked, TUMEROLL I wouldn't complain about something as stupid IMO as a slow elevator, One that got stuck between floors YES slow NO. an ocassional smell NO A/C not working but fixed within 3/4 hours no. A/C out for days YES. all I am saying is that some people expect perfection and yet not willing to pay for it. As I said We just returned and some of the negative stuff I am seeing is just not right. These people handle 8000 plus pieces of luggage 4 times per week and yet one broken strap and a stain on the bottom of the bag and some are ready to to go to court. That video that was on a couple of weeks has created this new luggage monster and I disagree. Yes I would be upset if it was my luggage but on the other hand we have traveled enough to know to use luggage that in many cases we have bought at a flea market and paid a whole 10 bucks for, I spend 26 years in the Military and traveled a lot I just do not see the expensive luggage thing. Who are they trying to impress the luggage handler on the other side of the wall? I could go on about other things we saw but will post that later.

Thank you for answering my question with a reasonable reply that makessense. I see so many people post with comments that seem to indicate that as long as they are on a cruise anything short of a sinking can happen and it will not spoil their cruise that I just wondered.

i was on the triumph before it went into dry dock, i had no complaints what so ever about the ship and crew. i just think people by nature are whiners, and complainers, some just more then others.

a vacation is something that i look at as a positive thing, yes there is going to be things that will happen to try your nerves, but, you have too get past that and move on with your vacation.

We've been on the Triumph twice but not lately..On our last cruise there was one CC're who did nothing but complain...and I told her( IF ALL YOU LOOK FOR IS THE NEGATIVE, THATS WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO FIND)...I love to cruise and always have a great time.....Dennis

I was on the Conquest Dec 4-11 and although I encountered a few rude staff members, I did not let that ruin my vacation. I feel that everyone is entitled to an off day. I did mention this on my comment card but would never adjust the tips downward as that is what they depend on for their living.

A lot of people come to cruise websites and trip websites to get people's actual, real, legit opinions. I know I appreciate all the bad reviews and good reviews, because I get a decent picture of what to expect. I read a bad review before I went on the Triumph and it helped me avoid some pitfalls and I knew some things to look for. Same thing with the good: showed me crew and good ideas.

I came back with a lot of good and soem bad things to say. That is why it is a review and it is why it is one person's opinion. And someone reviewing MAY not be going back. No bad review I have read said "Alright! I am headed back!"

Annoying for me might be disasterous for someone else. There is no accounting for individual quirks and how they contribute to a persons experience.

The sewage smell if persistant would put a real damper on my trip. I'm a nurse and I just don't want to deal with that on a vacation. :p

"Hint from a lazy homemaker"

I do have a suggestion if the smell is just isolated to your bathroom. Try pouring water down the overflow outlet in the wash basin. Some times the trap in the sink line goes dry and loses the water seal. Doesn't always work but it did for me this last trip. Also ask if the maintainence dept can use some drain cleaner in the sink. Men who use razors to shave leave a lot of debris in the plumbing and hair has a lot of sulfer compounds which lets off a rotten egg smell. All that soap scum and shaving lubricants and whisker bits....YUCK!

As far as missing or damaged property make a complaint at the time it occurs. The longer you let it go the more difficult it is to resolve.

Archived