Room Service Trays

bUU

Cruise Rules:

1. Do not flush any prohibited items down the toilet - observe the posted sign.

2. Do not force open your balcony door - observe the posted sign.

3. Do not place your room service tray in the hallway - observe the noticed sign.

To me, this post from someone who works/worked (?) on a ship seems like it should be the end of the discussion/debate. A fitting way to end this thread, IMHO.[/quote

Finally somebody is thinking outside the box. We need somebody from the ship to tell us what is happening as ships 'Do everything they can to protect the safety of passengers'. Maybe the advent of CCTV and hi-resolution cameras give the ship security the ability to monitor hallway passages real-time and notify personnel to remove trays. If this is happening, then the occurrence of injuries is less commonplace than many here think. Maybe the ship can prove its diligence with these cameras and therefore there is nothing more they need to do to prove in the court of law during litigation that they have met their responsibility to ensure the safety of passengers. Stop thinking of how this problem was 5, 10 and 20 years ago and start wondering how it is being dealt with right now.

I suspect this may be happening and we are not giving the cruiselines enough credit, because we are all so smart, but we need somebody from the ship to convey how effectively they are dealing with this problem.

Last two cruises I've been on in the last couple of months I don't recall seeing any trays left out.

You're getting in the way of the generalized disrespect for other passengers and self-ratified rudeness toward those other passengers that some folks would prefer prevail.

I'm not sure I get your meaning here. I don't see people being disrespected here no disrespect is intended. I just see it from a different angle. Look at the cruise ships perspective, trying to provide passenger safety and although not explicitly implied, trying to avoid personal injury lawsuits.

I'm sure cruiselines are aware of the safety issue and if maritime lawyers are chasing the ambulance and winning cases, then I think you would see a much more publicized policing of the matter, but we aren't seeing that, we only see a card on a tray. I think they may be removing trays faster than posters here think, and in the process protecting themselves from lawsuits. We won't know until somebody from the cruiseline steps in here and tells us what is happening.

One way to get the message across is to terminate all further room service orders to those passengers who left trays in the hallway, after it is established who in fact left the tray. Circumvent the suggested ploy of leaving it in front of some other cabin's door. Make the consequences swift and immediate, just like the sign saying you will be responsible for costs caused by improper disposals in the commode.

Not necessarily. Other cruise lines have/ had different policies. When we were on Carnival, placing trays in the hallway was the norm. So a person who did not get the card and sailed on other cruise lines would not know placing their tray outside was a faux pas.

I would be reluctant to accept the notion that what happens on Carnival ships is "the norm" to be applied anywhere else.

Unbelievable :loudcry: This can't be more simple; there is a card on the serving tray telling you what to do with the shallow platform designed for the carrying of items when you're done feeding. Just do it and be done with it! :cool:

The Nike approach (Just do it) is wonderfully simple, but that message will never reach the perps. Its like standing on a freeway overpass and holding a sign that says 'no speeding' People have always speeded, are currently speeding, and will speed in the future.

Trays being left out are similar in that it has always happened, is happening right now, and will happen in the future. The best thing a cruiseline can do it find the best way to manage it. Both from the customer safety perspective and their legal exposure. We need to understand what the cruiseline does for managing this risk, not what we wish to happen.

One way to get the message across is to terminate all further room service orders to those passengers who left trays in the hallway, after it is established who in fact left the tray. Circumvent the suggested ploy of leaving it in front of some other cabin's door. Make the consequences swift and immediate, just like the sign saying you will be responsible for costs caused by improper disposals in the commode.

Or in other words 'The beatings will continue until morale improves!"

I think this is more of a case of 'Ship Happens' What is the cruiseline doing about it and is it effective (or not)

Or in other words 'The beatings will continue until morale improves!"

I think this is more of a case of 'Ship Happens' What is the cruiseline doing about it and is it effective (or not)

No, it is more along the lines of actions have consequences. And no, ignoring posted request is not "ship happens". Having to deal with wilfully discourteous passengers however is "ship happens".

I'm not sure I get your meaning here. I don't see people being disrespected here no disrespect is intended.
Which may explain why you are having trouble getting my meaning. If someone doesn't personally perceive the disrespect, it is an extra effort to see it clearly.

I just see it from a different angle.
That's the point. Both angles are correct and equally valid. What worries me is when people don't realize that there are "different angles". Some people think their values are the only possible legitimate values, which makes it very difficult to realize they're being rude. Alternatively, some people have a sense of unfounded entitlement with regard to the disrespect they choose to project.

Look at the cruise ships perspective, trying to provide passenger safety and although not explicitly implied, trying to avoid personal injury lawsuits.
You're not in any way discussing what I've been discussing in this thread. I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread and every other thread that has ever been about this topic believe in passenger safety. The differences of opinion are much more subtle than that.

I'm sure cruiselines are aware of the safety issue and if maritime lawyers are chasing the ambulance and winning cases, then I think you would see a much more publicized policing of the matter, but we aren't seeing that, we only see a card on a tray.
And then, only most of the time.

I think they may be removing trays faster than posters here think, and in the process protecting themselves from lawsuits. We won't know until somebody from the cruiseline steps in here and tells us what is happening.
And not even then, since the cruise line is a commercial enterprise and very unlikely to provide an unfiltered and strictly factual accounting of the matter. They will always respond from the standpoint of what will be least offensive to the most number of passengers, even if that waters down what they say until it is practically without meaning.

One way to get the message across is to terminate all further room service orders to those passengers who left trays in the hallway, after it is established who in fact left the tray.
And to JRG's point, the fact that they don't do that is critical information that some people are choosing to ignore. Instead, they're assuming that the cruise line sees things their way, when the reality is more likely that the cruise line wants to agree with both "angles", even though the two "angles" are contradictory.

I would be reluctant to accept the notion that what happens on Carnival ships is "the norm" to be applied anywhere else.
Is that because you think Carnival is different or because it doesn't support you own personal preference? At what point does prevailing practice rise to the level that you'll recognize it as "the norm"? Carnival + Royal Caribbean? Carnival + Royal Caribbean + NCL? Or will it never be "the norm" in your book because it is contrary to what you want to be "the norm"?

No, it is more along the lines of actions have consequences. And no, ignoring posted request is not "ship happens". Having to deal with wilfully discourteous passengers however is "ship happens".

If a water bucket left in a hallway to catch drips can be considered 'Ship Happens', doesn't it follow that trays left outside could also be considered 'Ship Happens'?

They are both safety hazards