Room Service Trays

bUU

Maybe HAL should post signs in the hallway about this in addition to placing cards on the room service trays, that might take care of the repeat offenders and raise the awareness level of the safety dangers.
That would make sense, but saying, "don't!" is a cop-out. The cruise line has an obligation to say, "do!" and what they tell people to do should be in keeping with the quality of service they want to provide to their passenger. For example, with smoking, they say "smoke in these specific areas."

What the cruise line really could do is be more conscientious about retrieving the trays. If they treat this as a safety issue of high severity, they would make it standard practice to, for example, send the crew members who dropped off a tray back to retrieve the tray a certain period of time after the drop off, regardless of whether the passenger has called to have the tray retrieved.

The quality of service issue is the real issue here. Telling people to leave dirty, smelly dishes in their stateroom while they try to sleep is not going reflect well on the quality of service. Telling people to walk the tray up to the Lido won't either, since that generally defeats the purpose of ordering room service.

And so we're back to something we've discussed before: The problem is that the stateroom attendant's area is off-limits to passengers. Both with regard to ice and room service trays with dirty dishes, that is the place that passengers need access to in order to begin to have a hope of resolving these problems.

And until the cruise line takes a definitive side on the matter (i.e., "Do not leave trays in the hallways"), neither side should think any less of the other for doing what they believe is correct.

HAL has certainly taken "...a definitive side on the matter..." by leaving notes on room service trays requesting that the trays not be put out in the the corridor. An occasional lapse in that practice does not obviate the message; and it is obvious that trays left in the corridor must represent a hazard of some sort.

Perhaps doing "...what they believe is correct..." is better referred to as doing "what they want".

HAL has certainly taken "...a definitive side on the matter..." by leaving notes on room service trays requesting that the trays not be put out in the the corridor.

Indeed, that's what I said:

Of course, Holland America actually does take a definitive stand:

attachment.php?attachmentid=413278&stc=1&d=1515614191

As long as that card is on the tray, people don't have an excuse.

An occasional lapse in that practice does not obviate the message
Yes, it does, for the passengers who didn't receive the message. It is arrogant to suggest that passengers who never received a message to abide by it, such as those who have been told otherwise on prior cruises on other cruise lines:
Well my room steward said they go outside the door and that's where they will continue to go period!

and it is obvious that trays left in the corridor must represent a hazard of some sort.
Reasonable people disagree about who is responsible. Many believe that the cruise line has the obligation to ensure safety and when the cruise line fails to do what it is supposed to do that that is the cruise line's fault.

Yes, it does, for the passengers who didn't receive the message. It is arrogant to suggest that passengers who never received a message to abide by it, such as those who have been told otherwise on prior cruises on other cruise lines:

Reasonable people disagree about who is responsible. Many believe that the cruise line has the obligation to ensure safety and when the cruise line fails to do what it is supposed to do that that is the cruise line's fault.

Agreed - the line SHOULD make consistent efforts to advise passengers about correct handling of trays, and they SHOULD have sufficient staff to provide for prompt pick-up of such trays. There does remain, however, an obligation on passengers to think - and to behave responsibly. A lapse on the part of the cruise line to perform perfectly does not give passengers the right to behave irresponsibly.

Agreed - the line SHOULD make consistent efforts to advise passengers about correct handling of trays, and they SHOULD have sufficient staff to provide for prompt pick-up of such trays. There does remain, however, an obligation on passengers to think - and to behave responsibly.
Of course, but given the reality I've outlined and as is detailed in the linked thread, vis a vis how other cruise lines handle this, it is not reasonable to expect that that obligation includes what you want it to include. What remains is that casting aspersions on other passengers, such as the one who I quoted, without knowledge that they are deliberately ignoring a message that they've assuredly received from the cruise line, is just plain rude.

On our last cruise there was one cabin that would not comply. I heard the steward ask them not to leave it out the door and yet almost every day there it was. Too bad people can’t read or follow instructions for everyone’s safety.

And that is what people need to accept - there are rude people everywhere who just refuse to comply. Putting up signs, public shaming and even speaking directly with them will not work.

That note, BUU posted above is on every in-room dining tray that goes out; it's standard practice. Call "92" after you're done with your meal and it will be picked up, perhaps not in the next five minutes, if it's during busy times for IRD, but it will.

A ship is not a Vegas hotel when it comes to the width of the corridors. Placing serving trays on the floor of a land-based hotel is SOP. On a ship, doing it will present a safety hazard

On my recent Maasdam cruise, there were little cards left on the tray to call for tray pick up.

They sure did take a long time to pick up the trays. One time they took about an hour to just pick up the tray. good thing I was in my room watching a movie that day.

There was this one time I could no longer wait and had to leave the cabin for an excursion, I informed my cabin steward of the tray and let him deal with it.

That note, BUU posted above is on every in-room dining tray that goes out; it's standard practice. Call "92" after you're done with your meal and it will be picked up, perhaps not in the next five minutes, if it's during busy times for IRD, but it will.

A ship is not a Vegas hotel when it comes to the width of the corridors. Placing serving trays on the floor of a land-based hotel is SOP. On a ship, doing it will present a safety hazard

Exactly. Well said, Copper.

I have to ask though, has anybody here actually tripped over a tray in the hallway? I mean, you're walking down the hall and you see it at 50 ft, 40 ft, 30 ft, 5,4,3,2,1 and thud, you still trip over it? Unless the offender is sneaking it out at the last minute under your foot, you should be able to steer well clear and avoid the big fall.

I could possibly see it happen if someone were 'texting while walking' or otherwise walking down the hallway having their face glued to the screen on their cell phone.

I could possibly see it happen if someone were 'texting while walking' or otherwise walking down the hallway having their face glued to the screen on their cell phone.

OMG seriously???

What ship were you sailing on???

The trays stick out and those that need to pass with mobility issues have a difficult time.

Thankfully we have none of those, but one twit put theirs out so far I nearly went a$$ over teakettle after just recovering from elbow surgery. A crash would have sealed my fate.

No, I wasn't on a cell phone but there should be no fear if you are on one.

Someone in a walker, cane, rollator or scooter would have had a very tough time. I moved the dam thing as close to their door as I could.

I was on the Westerdam on a trans Atlantic, on a very rough day. The handholds in the passageways were definitely required to stay upright, and I hadn't even had my first beer yet !! Some moron put a half finished drink on the passageway railing and I didn't see it and hit it. The whole glass, and it's contents went all over me. Whatever idiot did this was not my friend, for sure. Same for food trays. We always order a breakfast tray, and we have never come back to the cabin a few hours later and seen the tray still there.

OMG seriously???

What ship were you sailing on???

The trays stick out and those that need to pass with mobility issues have a difficult time.

Thankfully we have none of those, but one twit put theirs out so far I nearly went a$$ over teakettle after just recovering from elbow surgery. A crash would have sealed my fate.

No, I wasn't on a cell phone but there should be no fear if you are on one.

Someone in a walker, cane, rollator or scooter would have had a very tough time. I moved the dam thing as close to their door as I could.

Yes, seriously!!!

• 4 weeks later...

As I said, I called the number twice. Was out for an excursion, still there when we returned. Called again and it was still there when we returned from dinner. So it went outside the door. That was on the Zaandam. Worst service of all the HAL ships I’ve been on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it is important to keep in mind what I wrote earlier: "And until the cruise line takes a definitive side on the matter (i.e., 'Do not leave trays in the hallways'), neither side should think any less of the other for doing what they believe is correct." Of course, Holland America actually does take a definitive stand:

attachment.php?attachmentid=413278&stc=1&d=1515614191

As long as that card is on the tray, people don't have an excuse.

However, if one staffer forgets to put that card on the tray, all bets are off, because there are other cruise lines that don't take a definitive stand, and passengers are told by staffers to leave trays in the halls. (I know that from personal experience on our most recent cruise, as well as numerous corroborating reports from other passengers.)

Also, even on Holland America, there have been concerns expressed in this forum about the timely retrieval of the trays. Card or no card, if someone calls and the tray isn't removed presently, it is reasonable for people to decide for themselves how to adapt to the ship's failure. Some will fall-back on what they view as standard practice on cruise lines in general and in hotels in general, i.e., leaving trays in the halls. (Personally, I'd leave it out on the balcony, but I have that luxury. Other passengers do not.) We don't have to agree about what we each would do; we just have to agree to respect each other's decisions in that regard, when the cruise line fails to hold up its end of the bargain.

For folks for whom this is a concern, they should take it up with the ship and cruise line, working to make it a much higher priority for the ship to do their job retrieving trays when passengers call for retrieval. Blaming other passengers for the ship's failure is just petty and pointless.

But really, this is a thread about tipping, not room service.

Should those persons deciding for themselves, decide that people in wheel chairrs don't need to pass by that t ray blocking the hallway leaviing less than enough room to pass by so they can get to their cabin? Is that okay? Is it okay if persons walking by trip on items from the tray that rolled on the floor causing Them to fall and possibly injure themselves? Is that OKAY?

Is it okay to not consider the safety of others and not leave the tray in their cabin? Have we really sunk to such a level that other person's safety is not importantt?

Or Call RS and let them know the displeasure of peoople trying to not trip on it as they go to their cab in........... Remind them it is dangerous and needs to be removed, NOW>

Mention 'what if there is an emergency and the dirty tray impedes evacuation ofc abins?

Simpl,e courrtesy and considertation by those who have the tray could avoid t he whole mess.

Edited by sail7seas

During our last cruise (Maasdam) I was walking along the hallway to our stateroom when the emergency response team came running along the hallway with their equipment.

Any Room Service tray in the hallway would have been an unwanted obstacle for the team.