Apple Watch on a Princess Cruise

MTNestr

What features do you use on your Apple iWatch while on a Princess Cruise? Are there any advantages besides telling the time? Is it worth it without unlimited internet?

I always take my iPad on cruises to read my email and catch up on local news. I wouldn’t travel without it.

I have worn my iWatch on every cruise for the last 2-3 years. Mine is the original model with just Bluetooth, not cell. Besides telling time, I use it for tracking activity and I enter events on my calendar on my iPhone as my watch reminds me. If I needed to, I could access my Notes, Contact List, etc.

Like Pam I have an original Apple Watch. One oddity on a ship is the route maps generated on Outdoor Walks. Here’s one from a year ago. I admit to having certain skills, but walking on water is not one of them. I also have some when the ship is anchored at a tender port which are even stranger looking.

b6529dfdece7078cec6e6fa64f9b448f.jpg

I boarded our most recent cruise with an Apple Watch 2 which I used for telling the time, reminders and tracking exercise. Partway through the cruise it got smashed when it fell onto a tile floor in the shower (I should have just worn it as it’s waterproof) so at our next stop I bought the Apple Watch 3 which also tracks flights of stairs. I absolutely freaking LOVE that feature. On my best day I did 77 flights of stairs.

Does it adjust for the new time zones when on the ship?

No - it's just like an iPhone - it needs a connection to the cell service to update the clock - you can turn it to manual but that can create a world of pain trying to get it back in synch - at least that's the experience a friend had when we sailed with them across the Pacific

We used ours during our morning laps on the walking track and during the day as an event reminder along with the unique feature of telling the time! The iPhone is our cabin clock and alarm, then during the day it is our message communicator using the ship's intranet feature in Princess@Sea.

We used ours during our morning laps on the walking track and during the day as an event reminder along with the unique feature of telling the time! The iPhone is our cabin clock and alarm, then during the day it is our message communicator using the ship's intranet feature in Princess@Sea.

So if you’re connected to Princess at Sea, does it allow iPhone to update thereby updating Apple Watch - regardless of full internet connection? Or have I misunderstood Princess at Sea? My understanding of it was that it’s more of an intranet while on board, but if the intranet keeps the iPhone updates on time, the Apple Watch should follow suit. My wife and I depend on ours and neither of us considered the fact that they might not work. The comments so far appear to be in conflict with each other, or are accolades for the Apple Watch. Forgive me if these seems obvious to others. I appreciate the insight in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Think about what happens to your iPhone when you are in flight mode on a cruise - does the date and time update correctly? Does it update correctly when connected to the internet via the ships service?

I believe that is your answer on what to expect with the Apple watch

So if you’re connected to Princess at Sea, does it allow iPhone to update thereby updating Apple Watch - regardless of full internet connection? Or have I misunderstood Princess at Sea? My understanding of it was that it’s more of an intranet while on board, but if the intranet keeps the iPhone updates on time, the Apple Watch should follow suit. My wife and I depend on ours and neither of us considered the fact that they might not work. The comments so far appear to be in conflict with each other, or are accolades for the Apple Watch. Forgive me if these seems obvious to others. I appreciate the insight in advance.

Didn't mean to confuse. The watch and phone are tied together with Bluetooth and share information. What I was referring to was that you can change the time on the phone and the watch will now show the time set if you are setting for ship's time. The intranet opportunity with P@S allows the use of the message function to "text" a message to the person you have set up to receive them. We carried the phone all the time while on the ship to keep track of the ship's activities and schedules and if need be, to take photos or video if the situation presented.

I spend the first hour of most days (while my wife gets ready) in the IC with my iPad going over my email, checking the local news and drinking coffee. Could I pull up the days events on my iPad and sync with an iWatch and leave the iPad in my cabin the rest of the day?

Didn't mean to confuse. The watch and phone are tied together with Bluetooth and share information. What I was referring to was that you can change the time on the phone and the watch will now show the time set if you are setting for ship's time. The intranet opportunity with P@S allows the use of the message function to "text" a message to the person you have set up to receive them. We carried the phone all the time while on the ship to keep track of the ship's activities and schedules and if need be, to take photos or video if the situation presented.

Thank you!