Short Cruise—Worth it?

Holmie

Okay. I'll bite again: Why not Asian ports (generally or specifically)?

Unless you've already traveled there often, how could/would you pass up places like Hong Kong, Dalian, Busan, Shanghai, Okinawa (the list goes on.....)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You named several of the ports I wouldn't care to visit. Malaysia ... Thailand ... Vietnam ... Philippines to name a few more ... There's also a lot of areas in Africa I have no care to visit .... so the world cruise didn't fit for us.

I have no interest in exploring these countries/ports. I am not interested in the history, culture, food, the people, etc.

Africa? I would only want to do safari and learn/watch/photo shoot animals.

Wow. I can’t even imagine a 30+ night cruise. Longest I’ve done is 9. My husband is only a year and a half into a new job and currently only has a week of vacation time. He took unpaid time off for our last cruise, but we could only afford that because my parents paid for the cruise.

I’m a teacher so we have very limited times we can cruise. And of course, it’s all the times when the ships are crawling with kids. I can’t wait to retire in about 30 years and cruise whenever we want [emoji23]

I’m a teacher too - and agree. 13 more years and I’m going to take a cruise when district or state assessments are being given ... just because I can!!! [emoji33][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You named several of the ports I wouldn't care to visit. Malaysia ... Thailand ... Vietnam ... Philippines to name a few more ... There's also a lot of areas in Africa I have no care to visit .... so the world cruise didn't fit for us.

I have no interest in exploring these countries/ports. I am not interested in the history, culture, food, the people, etc.

Africa? I would only want to do safari and learn/watch/photo shoot animals.

Hmm, those places also have some interesting architecture. Especially Malaysia. Think Petronas Towers and everything since then.

The first day of a cruise you only really get about a half day on the ship. The last day is for me a total waste, packing the night before and getting off the ship by mid morning. Therefore, I always look at the length of a cruise as being 2 days shorter than advertised.

DW and I have been taking longer and longer cruises, 30+ days on our last three cruises. I like to unpack and forget about getting off for awhile.

Short cruises can tend to become “Booze cruises”. Our two nighter had about 8 groups on hens parties, maybe four or five on bucks parties, and numerous ‘special” birthdays at times it seemed all anyone wanted to do was see how much they could drink.
What time of year was that? I'm not OP but we're looking at the option of ac4 day cruise last week in August. Hopefully most universities are back by then.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

What time of year was that? I'm not OP but we're looking at the option of ac4 day cruise last week in August. Hopefully most universities are back by then.

GUT would be referring to an Australian cruise, and a two day one is usually one that is relocating between ports such as Sydney to Melbourne or Brisbane or reverse. It is often sold as a two day cruise or as the first leg of a longer cruise. They tend to go all year round. Most common are the 3 night cruises to nowhere like I had mentioned previously like Comedy cruises and such. Usually held over a weekend. Some people board late on the Friday straight from work and go straight to work on Monday morning.

GUT would be referring to an Australian cruise, and a two day one is usually one that is relocating between ports such as Sydney to Melbourne or Brisbane or reverse. It is often sold as a two day cruise or as the first leg of a longer cruise. They tend to go all year round. Most common are the 3 night cruises to nowhere like I had mentioned previously like Comedy cruises and such. Usually held over a weekend. Some people board late on the Friday straight from work and go straight to work on Monday morning.
Thanks for clarifying. A 2 day cruise would be super short and can some using it just to drink.

Thanks for clarifying. A 2 day cruise would be super short and can some using it just to drink.

Yes, they hit the bottle pretty hard the first day/evening but then they don't surface til around 3pm the next day and then they start again. BTW, they do not have drink packages available for those short cruises, so it is money money, money for the cruise line.