Please make it stop!

I have read several threads tonight that suggest leaving it to the TA to sort out. That does not always work. In fact, it has never worked for me. It is nice to have them as a resource on a three-way call but bottom line? What has worked is that I saved a screenshot of the price and had a record of phone calls and times as proof. So far Royal has come through every time. But it took 2 to 3 weeks of calling and escalating with managers who speak English as a first language. That and not taking no for an answer! Persistence and polite patience wins...

In a week I go on my first Royal Caribbean (Ovation of the Seas) cruise and so far I'm not impressed with them. After I booked and paid for the cabin I had another friend who said she might want to come. So I called Royal Caribbean to find out if the cabin was able to accommodate a third person, how much extra it would cost, and how much time we had to add another person. I was advised that the cabin can take a third person and I could add her pretty much right up until close to the cruise. To my surprise she said there would be no extra charges, the cabin is all paid up so it's just a matter of providing the person's name when they make the decision. Stupidly, and completely out of character, I didn't ask for this note to be added to my booking or for email confirmation, I just took the advice on face value.

Of course, when I eventually called back to add the third person I was told it would be an extra $760. I explained that I'd already spoken to someone who said there would be no extra charges. He said there was no record on file of that conversation. We debated back and forth and there was no way he was backing down, so I asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor pretty much accused me of lying and said there was no evidence of this conversation. I told him that it wasn't my fault that the person I spoke to originally didn't make a note of my phone call, and that I have no reason to lie about it. Again, there was no way he was backing down and he refused my request to escalate it further - he said there was no one else I could speak to, full stop.

So I got on FB and messaged them, and within a few hours I had someone from the escalation team contact me - funny how there's now miraculously an escalation process! She was actually nice about the situation, but in the end they said if I can't prove the conversation there's nothing they can do.

Moral of the story - get reference numbers or email confirmations for everything. I've only ever sailed with P & O and although their ships aren't the best I've had good experiences with them. They once gave me on board credit and upgraded me for a mistake they made in some documentation that I hadn't even noticed!

In this instance it wasn't about the money, my problem was that they wouldn't follow through on the information I was given, and assumed I was lying about it instead of taking my word for it. $760 is a drop in the ocean for such a big company.

I hope the cruise is good because this experience has left a sour taste in my mouth. I also hope everything goes smoothly from now until the end of the cruise because I hope to never deal with their "customer service" people again.

If you remember the date/time of the initial phone call you can ask them to listen back to the call. I've had an issue before where a credit card rep told me I'm covered for can rental insurance while travelling, even if I don't use that specific card to book the rental. Turns out that wasn't true, and I found out after already booking the car rental on a separate card. I called back, told them that the rep gave me false information and they should take accountability for their employees actions; asked them to go back and listen to the call, they did and said I was right, so they purchased 3rd party insurance for me.

If there's even a chance it could save you $760, it's worth trying. I'd start by asking something that confirms they have the call recorded, before describing your actual issue.

I have read several threads tonight that suggest leaving it to the TA to sort out. That does not always work. In fact, it has never worked for me. It is nice to have them as a resource on a three-way call but bottom line? What has worked is that I saved a screenshot of the price and had a record of phone calls and times as proof. So far Royal has come through every time. But it took 2 to 3 weeks of calling and escalating with managers who speak English as a first language. That and not taking no for an answer! Persistence and polite patience wins...

If they had booked with a TA they never would have gotten bad info from Royal CSA. :halo:

Not sure if it's an age thing or a cultural thing (I'm in Australia), but I don't know anyone that uses a travel agent these days. Maybe I'll try that next time though! I've booked 5 cruises in the past direct with P & O and have had never had a problem. I have always got better deals through them direct.

And I have no idea what day/time I called - if I had that information I would have used it! I think I must have called from my parents land line one day as there nothing in the call history on my mobile and their phone doesn't show the history beyond the last few calls.

Anyway, as I said, lesson learnt, but I can't see myself cruising RCI again. The customer service experience isn't just about phone support, it's about a whole culture in the organisation, and they clearly value $$ over customers. I imagine I'll witness that once onboard as well.

IMHO, using OBC to purchase a drink package before final payment is just asking for problems.

How so?

So it seems like you should wait until final payment is paid and pay the higher price to avoid any problems. IYHO

One shouldn't have to worry about when they purchase any product. Maybe it's a marketing ploy?

Bill

How so?

So it seems like you should wait until final payment is paid and pay the higher price to avoid any problems. IYHO

One shouldn't have to worry about when they purchase any product. Maybe it's a marketing ploy?

Bill

The problem isn't buying the package, the problem is using OBC to buy the package.

(Perhaps I should also clarify that I'm specifically referring to OBC that was given based on the purchase of a specific cabin.)

If you use that OBC before final payment then you've essentially tied your drink package price to your cabin.

In the event that you try to change cabins or take advantage of a price drop, the cabin gets repriced along with your OBC that you've already used.

You do what you want, I'm just saying to avoid problems I'd recommend people don't use the OBC for purchases until final payment if they have any expectation of a cabin change or price drop.

The problem isn't buying the package, the problem is using OBC to buy the package.

(Perhaps I should also clarify that I'm specifically referring to OBC that was given based on the purchase of a specific cabin.)

If you use that OBC before final payment then you've essentially tied your drink package price to your cabin.

In the event that you try to change cabins or take advantage of a price drop, the cabin gets repriced along with your OBC that you've already used.

You do what you want, I'm just saying to avoid problems I'd recommend people don't use the OBC for purchases until final payment if they have any expectation of a cabin change or price drop.

Thanks for the response.

Was just curious as to your reasoning.

I'm never to old to learn something new.:)

Have a good one.

Bill

Oh I almost forgot all about this one also.

A couple days before final payment was due we booked I believe entertainment for the week and when we did it repriced my cruise to an amount that was higher. (of course)

I wonder if it would have repriced my cruise if it was lower?

Bill