My favorite cruise breakfast----what's yours?

richard1226

Fresh everything bagel with lox, onion and cream cheese on it, hot coffee, oj.....I can taste it now! Reality tells me not to expect a "New York" bagel. That's like expecting a real Italian tasting dish while visiting out west somewhere. I will certainly make the best of it no matter what. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Eggs benedict made with salmon and hot chocolate for my DH and boring ol cereal for my son. I have sliced cheese and a crossaint with a side of hash browns, fresh fruit and plenty of coffee. We all have OJ. I usually don't eat anything for breakfast except for mid morning oatmeal every day but on the cruise I feel like I have to eat.

Ok, I am new the cruising scene so what is lox? We are going on the Coral Princess in Dec 2004 to Panama Canal and I can hardly wait!
Lox is not specific to cruises. It's a cold smoked salmon most often served in the USA on top of bagels spread with cream cheese with other accompaniments like sliced onions or tomatoes.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess its a southern thing, but I can't imagine why anyone wants to start their day with grits, artery-clogging biscuits with sausage gravy or the plethora of other fattening foods first thing in the morning. For us, fresh fruit, yogurt, always oatmeal for my husband and a muffin for me, plus OJ and coffee.

We had heard people rave about corn beef hash, so when we saw it on the ship, we thought we should try it. Never again. Not sure how it got to be considered a treat. I remember hearing it mentioned in old war movies, and think it should remain K rations. It's so hard to keep from gaining weight on a cruise, but I wouldn't waste the calories on a high fat breakfast. there are so many healthier alternatives. Obesity is terrible here and obviously worse south of the border. Heh, look at this way. You can't keep cruising if you drop dead of a heart attack. and we hope to keep cruising for many years...it's so addictive!

kdw, not trying to be mean here, but you posted a similar message in another thread about biscuits and gravy....Sure, this type of food is not healthy, but I don't believe that many of the other readers here are interested in a tirade about poor nutrition. Fact is, most people are not as health-conscious as they should be (including me), but for many of us, going on a cruise and eating bad for the few days on vacation is not the end of the world. I do think you have a great point about th stairs though...but I don't think that most people that "pig out" on a cruise do the same at home....but the majority of people don't like hearing somebody else harp on them about this or that....it's the same as some extreme vegetarians who make a scene if there are animal products in their very presence...it's really looked down on by others. I can certainly understand that you choose to live a healthier lifestyle than others (and that's great for you!), and that you also have the right to post your opinion here, I think that it probably bothers other people too.....no hard feelings....:)

I honestly apologize to anyone offended. I also thought the one post had not gone through, didn't mean to beat the issue to death. Hope you all have a great time. I'm definitely not a vegetarian, by the way, (we raise beef cattle) and enjoy cruise food to the max because I don't have to cook it, or clean it up. I'll be going now, goodbye.

• 2 months later...

Yes I suppose it is a southern thing. Not sure what is so bad about that. We eat heavy breakfasts in the south because alot of us who have lived on ranches work the day through without lunch...and our large breakfasts sustain us.

Waffles served by the pool on Celebrity ships. We start with coffee and juice in our cabin, then I hit that waffle station. They are fabulous and I get mine piled with whipped cream and assorted berries, yum. Artery clogging? Yep. Do I care when I'm on a cruise? Nope.

Susan

My girlfriend loves my eggs benedict, so I am forced (ha) to make it at least two or three times a month. On the cruise I love the dining room breakfast, especially the eggs benedict. Then when my gf wakes up, we go to the buffet and I get an omelet and some bacon and sausage. Lots of coffee and fresh juice. . . man I can't wait!!! Mike

"Reality tells me not to expect a "New York" bagel. That's like expecting a real Italian tasting dish while visiting out west somewhere." Obviously you've never been to San Francisco. Not all Italians live in "Jersey" or "the City."