Question about "partial" charter cruises.....

if there is such a thing.

Noticed a couple Indy cruises coming up in Feb (5th and 10th in particular) that seemed slowish filling/getting full and was curious. 10th being the most noticeable to me. I know the noro situation may have had some effect but wouldn't think that far out (watched these cruises going back several weeks) would make much difference.

As I said..2-5 cruise wasn't as noticeable with "slow sales, plenty of availability" as the 2-10 cruise. Anyway, went and read roll calls and there apparently there IS a semi charter (for lack of a better term) of 1000ish religiously affiliated. Don't have a problem with the group but wondered if it might make for some different situations on board with such a large group. Didn't notice anything on the 10th roll call.

Questions... Is there something big going on with those particular cruises that others have heard about? Seemed the 2-10 cruise was even lower priced and had plenty of availability as opposed to the 5th! lol Similar cruises around same time frame and itenararies seems full as could be and pretty pricey in comparison. Thought it was odd. Sorry for the ramble and have an awesome day! ::)

There really is no such thing as a partial charter. There are always groups aboard, tho...sometimes many smaller groups, or 1 or 2 larger groups. They really should have no effect on your vacation.

1000 is a fairly large group. I was just curious. I wouldn't think it would effect ones vacation either (or much) but after I saw those 2 particular cruises being slower to sell out with better pricing it got me curious.

1000 people in a group seemed to concern several in the 2-5-18 Indy roll call thread for what it's worth. The 2-10 sailing didn't mention anything of the sort but I was surprised at the pricing and availability it had too..(compared to other similar dates, itens, etc).... Thanks much for taking the time to reply btw), I thought it was a somewhat legit question. lol I'd not heard of "partial charters" either. Made that up on my own!

Edited by lovetotravel06
additional sentence

You mentioned a religious group, is it the kind of group that may require a special diet? There were reports a while ago about a very large group who took over one of the dining areas every single day in order to meet their dietary restrictions.

There really is no such thing as a partial charter. There are always groups aboard, tho...sometimes many smaller groups, or 1 or 2 larger groups. They really should have no effect on your vacation.

I thought it was a somewhat legit question. lol I'd not heard of "partial charters" either. Made that up on my own!

Partial Charters do exist and are fairly common. Here is Cruise Critic's description of a Partial Charter.

star2.bmp A partial ship charter comes into play when a group wants only some cabins. They do have to meet a minimum: Some cruise lines will only draw up a charter contract for 50 percent or more, while others will consider a 20 or 40 percent ship charter. For example, there is a special interest group of motorcyclists ("Hogs on the High Seas") that books a partial ship charter twice a year. Upfront payment isn't required here -- but payment and cancellation terms are more stringent than for the honeymoon couple or family of four booking just one stateroom, and heavy penalties apply for non-booked space.

You mentioned a religious group, is it the kind of group that may require a special diet? There were reports a while ago about a very large group who took over one of the dining areas every single day in order to meet their dietary restrictions.

This is not that group, but from what I have read, it is still possible they will still take over a dining area so that the group can dine together. I also did a little research and from pictures & videos this group utilized the main theater, skating rink & other areas. I'm curious if this is done at a time when regular activities are not scheduled for those areas, or if the group will get priority and thus cause changes or cancellations of usual activities.

I am aware that there are often groups that reserve a venue for private functions. This group on the 2/5/18 sailing of up to 1000 is a large group and they having their own activities, shows & entertainments for the entire cruise....not just an occasional special function. I am curious to see what impact, in any, it has on our cruising experience and I will post about it upon our return.

Group activities are scheduled at times other than when normal cruise activities are scheduled. There can be an upside to being on a partial charter. If they have an activity going on in Studio B during regular show times in the theater, you will likely find it much easier to get good seats for the shows without having to get there so early.

I’ve been on two cruises where very large groups have been on board. One was an Elvis event and it was pretty neat to see all the imposters. The other was a large corporation. I’ve only been bothered once, and even that is subjective. The large corporation was conducting a ship wide scavenger hunt during a sea day. The employees were in red T-shirt’s and were very loud! I remember a group of ten running through a lounge during trivia and disturbed the game. Later that evening the groups were still running around. They looked like they were having fun! I was on the Indy and Freedom on both of these cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums