No credit card charges

goodsailors

This is the email I received from my agent (I have omitted the items that would identify them. I would appreciate other readers comments on this message!!!!

Good afternoon *************,

Thank you for booking with *************

We are writing to advise you of the payment options we will be offering as of January 14th 2018. Our preference is for you to pay your balance by bank transfer.

OUR BANK DETAILS

Omitted by me

Please include ONLY your booking reference number , as above, as your payment reference. These will be allocated to your booking by the following working day.

Alternatively manual payment methods are still available but these will incur a £25 handling fee per transaction. These methods are as follows:

• By debit/credit card over the phone by calling *************AMEX is no longer accepted.
  • By cheque, for the balance amount plus £25 and your booking reference written on the back, posted to:

Accounts Department,

Your final balance is due on , so should you wish to pay your balance before 13th January 2018 you can pay by the existing methods - bank transfer, debit card, credit card (2% fee) or cheque.

Please note that from 14th January 2018 our online payment portal will not be available.

Kind regards,

This is the email I received from my agent (I have omitted the items that would identify them. I would appreciate other readers comments on this message!!!!

Good afternoon *************,

Thank you for booking with *************

We are writing to advise you of the payment options we will be offering as of January 14th 2018. Our preference is for you to pay your balance by bank transfer.

OUR BANK DETAILS

Omitted by me

Please include ONLY your booking reference number , as above, as your payment reference. These will be allocated to your booking by the following working day.

Alternatively manual payment methods are still available but these will incur a £25 handling fee per transaction. These methods are as follows:

• By debit/credit card over the phone by calling *************AMEX is no longer accepted.
  • By cheque, for the balance amount plus £25 and your booking reference written on the back, posted to:

Accounts Department,

Your final balance is due on , so should you wish to pay your balance before 13th January 2018 you can pay by the existing methods - bank transfer, debit card, credit card (2% fee) or cheque.

Please note that from 14th January 2018 our online payment portal will not be available.

Kind regards,

I'd certainly be taking my business elsewhere!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

I have just made contact with the agent and have been advised that they will examine each individual case regarding the card charge. I will be on to the accounts department in the morning and will take it from there. As I have 6 outstanding cruises this would be £150.00 surcharge for paying on a debit card. Being in the business of accounts I know what the charges are from the individual agency's that run the credit card scheme and it is no where near what this agent is demanding. Watch this space.!!! Princess may well be missing out aon a lot of money.

I have just made contact with the agent and have been advised that they will examine each individual case regarding the card charge. I will be on to the accounts department in the morning and will take it from there. As I have 6 outstanding cruises this would be £150.00 surcharge for paying on a debit card. Being in the business of accounts I know what the charges are from the individual agency's that run the credit card scheme and it is no where near what this agent is demanding. Watch this space.!!! Princess may well be missing out aon a lot of money.

The TA we use are I think one of the bigger cruise agents (I won't say or hint the name). They are no longer allowing Debit or Credit Card payment for Final Balance, only Bank Transfer, Cheque or Direct Debit.

Cards can be used for Deposits but the amount may be reduced and the deposit balance payable by Bank Transfer, Cheque or Direct Debit.

Not sure if they will keep our custom in the future.

An explanation is always provided at the bottom. In this instance a barely disguised TA name.

Eh? Bottom of what?

I would also like to know where this explanation is shown?

Without wishing to offend anyone I would like to know why CC have this rule about not naming TA's (see my signature for my position on rules). Other cruise forums seem happy for members to exchange experiences they have with TA's, even the one run by a big cruising TA. I cannot see what the difference is between posts commenting about cruise lines or about TA's?

Personally I would speak to them and thank them for their email but inform them you were declining their request to change their terms and conditions from when you booked through them.

I would offer them the option of either accepting a debit card payment as first agreed or transfer by booking to the cruise company who you would pay direct.

Their suggestion to pay by bank transfer is ludicrous and I predict there will be a rash of articles in the press in six months time about how people have been tricked into sending the substantial cruise payments to a fraudsters account.

If I make a bank transfer to someone for the first time I will send them a random small amount, so for example £1.43. I then ask in person or by phone (*not* email) how much they received. If they can tell me I can make the balancing payment safely.

I would certainly not be sending off a substantial amount to bank account details sent by email without such a check or similar.

Sorry - I thought all posters could see the fact that one has been deleted and why. My mistake.

You are right Sharon it would be a good idea, perhaps you could suggest that a notelet is added to replace a deleted post which gives just that information.