Crown Princess ABC islands Jan 12 to 20, 2018

Bimmer09

Enjoying the end of cruise pics. You work hard for this review masterpiece. The hotel in Florida is beautiful. Can't wait to see what Carol found for dinner.

I agree, Princess should pay you for advertising.

Pictures from Norris of Norway fjords? That would be epic.

Yes the Marriott harbor Beach has got almost all of our business when we cruise the Caribbean from Ft. Lauderdale. The location cannot be beat, nor the amenities. We did get wowed by the Ritz Carlton but it is far from the harbor and I couldn't get pics like these from there.

Carol found us a gem for dinner and I will show it to you tomorrow (Thursday) when I finish the GSJ.

Carol's hairstylist is a cruiser and recently when asked what was the best cruise she had taken her answer was "Norwegian Fjords". I am hoping it can happen this year as we are booked in our favorite cabin on our favorite ship (Silhouette of course). The X bookings for September 2019 are not available yet (but soon) and I am OK with booking it for a year later as we are so busy this year with travel and life. I want to see Norway from that ship-that is what I call a "Double whammy". Photography wise I am drooling (I endorse Bounty Towels) and now that this review is a day from being done I will turn my attentions towards taking much better photos and get back to learning the camera. Carol bought me a camcorder microphone for my birthday so I can get better sound quality on my videos so that is exciting (It's a Rode model).

We have a week in June in one of our favorite familiar cities -San Francisco-for Wagner Opera which is our favorite thing ever. More camera practice! I hope for Norway this September but it is "up in the air" until I see the updated 2019 X cruises.

So there is much to look forward to but no Princess Cruises. I am very keen to sail on Celebrity Edge which is probably our January 2020 cruise.

Thanks for all your support and enthusiasm during this "epic"!

Norris

• Like 1

I was one of those people! B426! The cabin is on the side you where photographing right by the midship elevators. I was definitely out on my balcony for sailaway!

And so you should be! We only did 2 sailaways from other than our balcony and they were on our first two cruises on Coral and Crown. Since then it is balcony comfort sipping "champagne" and if there is a webcam we will be waving at it! Port Everglades webcam gave us 30 seconds of close-up on this Crown Cruise (Search Jan 12 Crown Princess if interested on their sail away video link) I was dressed very tropically- all in black! LOL!

Thanks for staying until the end!

Norris

Hi Norris,

Still following, and loving your journal with your excellent prose and fantastic photos. I am sad to learn it will be completed today. :(:(:(I have noted on my calendar for your Azmara review of Cuba. We are considering a similar trip so will be very interested on your take.

Cheers,

Tracy

I probably called this Oasis in the early morning photos from the harbor but it was the Harmony of the Seas. A magnificent marine engineering achievement for sure but not a ship I am eager to sail.

27179925788_e2d770ae52_b.jpg

39242446250_fa99ae9a4f_b.jpg

The water slides....

41009438202_e82bae0dbb_b.jpg

Freedom of the Seas

39242451910_304e057d1b_b.jpg

Jonesing for Stone Crab, Carol had spent some time trying to find it. "Never heard of it" I said when the restaurant was named. Trulucks. It's at some shopping mall. Galleria I believe. What time? 6.15 p.m. Yikes! That's all we could get this side of 9 p.m. Must be popular.

https://trulucks.com/locations/ft-lauderdale-florida/

That's an early sit for us but not the earliest as we ate at Joe's Stone Crab in Miami (Celebrity Reflection review) at 5.30 to avoid the crowding there after 7 p.m on a Saturday). Of course it would be halfway through first sitting in Traditional Dining on a ship, so not an uncommon time to eat.

We have given up on taxis back in Chicago, favoring Lyft, a ride share where we summon up a clean car, driven by a non-maniac who isn't jabbering on the phone to someone on the other side of the world while he fails to miss the many potholes that make up our streets. So we requested a Lyft for the $8 ride into the unknown.

I figured small table, tight surroundings so left the big camera bag at the hotel and just used my iPhone.

Carol's notes say "elegant and classy" describing the dining room. We were led to a four top with curved banquette which had enough room for about 4 huge camera bags and I regretted my decision. A waiter called Matteo appeared and would be as good as one could wish for during the course of our meal. At the other side of the large dimly lit dining room was a small stage with two ladies, one playing keyboards and the other a good singer, playing relaxing songs. A good vibe.

They promise seafood and steaks....

41017758101_0dce8e3c50_b.jpg

and wine

41017756201_98b7f21d80_b.jpg

a smooth Renacer Malbec from Argentina

41017760821_34047ea350_b.jpg

Bread is my thing when beginning a meal and this basket of warm chewy goodness was emptied including the crisp flatbread.

41017759321_aa56a362b8_b.jpg

I loved the lighting-as you can see Carol was in shade but the table brightly lit by a spot lamp high above, focused on the food.

40124331495_b6e5bc1540_b.jpg

More...

As it was a restaurant we ordered some food. Might as well-we're here. Crab cake for me!

41017760371_8fe6a6d076_b.jpg

Good solid chunks of crab in there, not just filler with merely a whiff of the noble beast. Perfection.

She must have her greens...

41017762201_8ff7243ce0_b.jpg

Smiles all round with some good food in our stomachs. We also liked the source of light from nice art installations like this...

41017757611_fe080e3e34_b.jpg

Now we found out from Matteo why Carol had had a problem finding restaurants serving Stone Crab- the hurricanes that had ravaged Florida in the fall had caused a shortage of crab and purveyors were servicing their biggest customers first, leaving some with no product.

Getting what she came for....

40124331975_ffd818c780_b.jpg

Carol ordered two favorite sides to share;

creamed spinach

40124332565_0d190928db_b.jpg

and creamed corn

40124332935_641f453135_b.jpg

More...

I had Ponchartrain Grouper with shrimp, crawfish and Creole sauce (lipsmackingly delicious)

40124332405_b25db4075f_b.jpg

I needed no persuasion when I asked about some hash browns and Matteo said "fried in duck fat". I am so there! Crispy and crunchy and forget the dishwasher. Plate licked clean!

40124333165_2284ae70b3_b.jpg

What a great meal we were having! One of our best ever. Would we like to see some desserts?

40124333925_76a40e3619_b.jpg

Wow wow wow! That tall chocolate tower looked amazing....but, I just didn't have any room for it in my belt-loosening tummy, so I passed. Carol, not seeing Key Lime Pie asked for it and it was available. Hoorah! Winning !

40124334665_cdef6fe063_b.jpg

Carol's notes tell me that I ordered a double espresso and a Sambuca but I didn't take his picture. It has been my perfect digestif since 1986 and rounded off a wonderful meal. I didn't know what to expect when I heard "Trulucks" before we came but now I know and we'll be back when next in Ft. Lauderdale although I have no idea when that will be.

*When I came home I mentioned Trulucks to Chris (CRLess) who told me it was part of a chain and I went on their website to check locations- "now hiring for our new Chicago location". Yep they have just opened one in Chicago! Hooray for us! It could have been my Birthday venue but for the fact that I had booked the fantastic Girl and the Goat already. Bill was $182 before tip and so worth the spend.

Lyft back to the hotel. It was now 8.45 and we sat out by the fire pits for 15 minutes before the cool breeze fanning the flames drove us inside. Bed by 9 p.m.Yep, 9 p.m and why not? There were deep caverns of sleep in a comfy bed to be explored.

Tomorrow we would fly home.

The Marriott routine for the last time. Up early. Starbucks when they opened. Outside to smoke.

Cool and breezy again. Unlikely to be a beach day for anyone.

39209808780_2b773b62bd_b.jpg

40309830434_9ef23c834c_b.jpg

We love to take breakfast at the outside tables of Riva but that's not happening today.

Too cool and that breeze-oi! It's cosy inside. We don't do the buffet for $28 but order from the menu.

Pancakes for Carol

40124334965_317a949d52_b.jpg

and a side of bacon

40124335895_ef74be079b_b.jpg

a simple American breakfast for me

40124336705_092450db67_b.jpg

All that remains is to get ourselves to the airport, once packed and checked out.

At 10.15 we begin the Death March to the gangway on deck 5 and Corey is there to wish us goodbye.

I feel your pain brother, the last couple steps on the gangway to the terminal is very rough indeed.

I hope you guys do Norway as you indicated in the following post but Jamie and I are looking at '19 and maybe Viking for that.

Really enjoyed your review, waiting for the conclusion and "point - counter point" vis a vis Regal.

See you in June.

We are in a Lyft car, in plenty of time for our early afternoon flight on January 21

40975560302_1ecc054174_b.jpg

Royal Princess sits at her berth

40124370545_c9847cb89b_b.jpg

FLL has maybe our least favorite United Club as it is tiny and always hard to find seats together, so we sit apart to while away the hour before boarding.

Soon we are up in the air, where airplanes really show their worth

41017823521_561e071e10_b.jpg

Three hours later we are brought down to Earth near a foggy Chicago

27146529458_7a0790936c_b.jpg

We walk the approximately 3 miles to the Baggage Claim. Bags. Lyft. Fog. Dense.

Within an hour we are home and the only one happy about that is a ball of white fur and a wagging tail. Little Snowy.

Soon after, I began this tale, another in a series. The next one will happen in September at the soonest or January 2019 at the latest- on the Celebrity Board.

Until then....

Thanks for reading this!

Jonesing for Stone Crab, Carol had spent some time trying to find it. "Never heard of it" I said when the restaurant was named. Trulucks. It's at some shopping mall. Galleria I believe. What time? 6.15 p.m. Yikes! That's all we could get this side of 9 p.m. Must be popular.

https://trulucks.com/locations/ft-lauderdale-florida/

That's an early sit for us but not the earliest as we ate at Joe's Stone Crab in Miami (Celebrity Reflection review) at 5.30 to avoid the crowding there after 7 p.m on a Saturday). Of course it would be halfway through first sitting in Traditional Dining on a ship, so not an uncommon time to eat.

We have given up on taxis back in Chicago, favoring Lyft, a ride share where we summon up a clean car, driven by a non-maniac who isn't jabbering on the phone to someone on the other side of the world while he fails to miss the many potholes that make up our streets. So we requested a Lyft for the $8 ride into the unknown.

I figured small table, tight surroundings so left the big camera bag at the hotel and just used my iPhone.

Carol's notes say "elegant and classy" describing the dining room. We were led to a four top with curved banquette which had enough room for about 4 huge camera bags and I regretted my decision. A waiter called Matteo appeared and would be as good as one could wish for during the course of our meal. At the other side of the large dimly lit dining room was a small stage with two ladies, one playing keyboards and the other a good singer, playing relaxing songs. A good vibe.

They promise seafood and steaks....

41017758101_0dce8e3c50_b.jpg

and wine

41017756201_98b7f21d80_b.jpg

a smooth Renacer Malbec from Argentina

41017760821_34047ea350_b.jpg

Bread is my thing when beginning a meal and this basket of warm chewy goodness was emptied including the crisp flatbread.

41017759321_aa56a362b8_b.jpg

I loved the lighting-as you can see Carol was in shade but the table brightly lit by a spot lamp high above, focused on the food.

40124331495_b6e5bc1540_b.jpg

More...

Norris,

Truluck's in Naples is one of my favorite restaurants. Fantastic food, great service, and a wonderful ambiance. We go there for special occasions or when we have visitors in town. Been following along, but haven't had a chance to touch base on the computer. Our 11 week old Golden Retriever puppy Gaziella has been occupying lots of our time. She's a beauty. One day I'll drop some pics on you. Another fantastic review my friend. Your next cruise is??? Just need to make a note so I'll know when to look for your review.

Have a great weekend!

Trip

Norris,

Truluck's in Naples is one of my favorite restaurants. Fantastic food, great service, and a wonderful ambiance. We go there for special occasions or when we have visitors in town. Been following along, but haven't had a chance to touch base on the computer. Our 11 week old Golden Retriever puppy Gaziella has been occupying lots of our time. She's a beauty. One day I'll drop some pics on you. Another fantastic review my friend. Your next cruise is??? Just need to make a note so I'll know when to look for your review.

Have a great weekend!

Trip

Trip, as it stands right now I can firmly say January 15th to 24th 2019 on Azamara Journey to Cuba.

The new Celebrity schedules are up-just checked- and I will call them later today to switch this year's Norway trip in September to next year Sept 1 to 8.

Glad you enjoyed the review and thanks for following along and commenting!

Cheers!

Norris

I feel your pain brother, the last couple steps on the gangway to the terminal is very rough indeed.

I hope you guys do Norway as you indicated in the following post but Jamie and I are looking at '19 and maybe Viking for that.

Really enjoyed your review, waiting for the conclusion and "point - counter point" vis a vis Regal.

See you in June.

Hi Ron , thanks for following along! I don't plan any comparison with the Regal or some kind of a wrap-up. I know I referred to the Grand Class a few times during our Regal cruise and probably vice-versa in this one.

Cheers!

Norris

Another wonderful review. Each one gets better as the camera equipment gets upgraded! The writing and wit have always been great. Such a wonderful way to relive our vacation. And so many things I missed as I am the opposite of restless on a cruise. If not for the shows I probably would be quite happy staying in the cabin with room service and a nice balcony on which to read and nap. Norris is my fun ambassador. Thanks to you all for your kind comments.

Deck Chair Queen aka Carol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

Princess should buy these for their advertising.

Hi Jimorel !

Didn't you just get back from a cruise? If so how was it?

Thanks for the compliment on those two Coral pics.

If Princess ever needs an on line ambassador, like Bonnie McLaird on the Azamara board, then I would be "all in!" LOL.

The pics will get better in time- I noticed towards the end of the 1300 or so I took that it took less time to tweak them in Lightroom so I made some progress. I just have to practice and use my brain more.

Did you check out Mike Browne yet? I learn something useful every time I watch his tutorials.

Cheers and I hope to see you in my next review-coming soon (NOT)

Norris

As always, another great review. Still bummed out our meeting onboard was scuttled by a deep cleaning on turnaround day. We will make it happen one of these years!

Thanks Chris- I am glad you enjoyed it and agree that it was a bummer that our plans were dashed by Noro raising it's ugly head. Still, we are very lucky we can cruise at all and our cake has a lot of icing on it. We had a Noro- free cruise and that is a good thing.

Indeed we will break bread ( and wine ) one of these upcoming years.

Cheers!

Norris

Thanks for another amazing trip report! :D

And my thanks to you for reading it!

Hope to see you in the Azamara one in January next year on the X Board.

Norris

Trip, as it stands right now I can firmly say January 15th to 24th 2019 on Azamara Journey to Cuba.

The new Celebrity schedules are up-just checked- and I will call them later today to switch this year's Norway trip in September to next year Sept 1 to 8.

Glad you enjoyed the review and thanks for following along and commenting!

Cheers!

Norris

Trip, in a rare moment of quoting myself, I can tell you that I did call X today and change our booking to Norway to September 1 2019, so the review (including some London stuff after 25 years since my last visit) will be written on September 11th 2019 when I get home to Chicago. This year had just too much going on in our lives that we pushed it off a year, despite pining for the Fjords. Same cabin (Sky Suite) and all 4 perks but a slight price increase. Ho hum. I love the X Suite experience! So I am done cruising until January 15th when we Journey to Cuba on Azamara. It's a 9 day-our longest ever- and Cuba is eye-candy. I will probably take a camera...

Norris

Trip, in a rare moment of quoting myself, I can tell you that I did call X today and change our booking to Norway to September 1 2019, so the review (including some London stuff after 25 years since my last visit) will be written on September 11th 2019 when I get home to Chicago. This year had just too much going on in our lives that we pushed it off a year, despite pining for the Fjords. Same cabin (Sky Suite) and all 4 perks but a slight price increase. Ho hum. I love the X Suite experience! So I am done cruising until January 15th when we Journey to Cuba on Azamara. It's a 9 day-our longest ever- and Cuba is eye-candy. I will probably take a camera...

Norris

The stars tell me that 2019 is the year of "Norris".

I will have to go back and read some of your earlier cruise reviews to stay relevant.

Stay thirsty my brother.

The stars tell me that 2019 is the year of "Norris".

I will have to go back and read some of your earlier cruise reviews to stay relevant.

Stay thirsty my brother.

Ron, as you are going to Alaska later this year on Norwegian Bliss it would be worth looking at my Alaskan reviews to whet the appetite. I'd start with the Star Princess from September 2016.

All 3 cruises feature the same towns but each has different excursions shown. So many outdoorsy things to do and the scenery is always breathtaking. I imagine you may already have been browsing the NCL excursions. Alaska is the only place we have taken some non-Princess excursions.

I like what your stars are saying about 2019!

Cheers Sir!

Norris

Thank you Norris and Carol for relaying yet another great adventure! Now what do I do for the next 173days? Why, read your Europe reviews again of course! Happy spring to you (when it decides to show up)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crystal it will now be a lot more days before I cruise again-however many it is until January 15.

If you read the Ocean Princess Venice to Rome one and come across some pics that say "Photo no longer available" just click on the blank space and it will take you to the photo on Flickr. It's a nuisance. I have had to have 2 Apple "windows" open, one on CC and one on Flickr to make it quicker. The Rome to Barcelona one has no issues that I've seen.

Happy Spring back at you!

Norris