Say it ain't so... Tyler Grey leaves the Escape and NCL?

sid_9169

I too don't understand the fascination with who the cruise director is and even less so the captain or any other personnel who are on my cruise. Your example of water slides is false equivalence.

Maybe to you, but not to me.

A cruise director is one aspect of an overall cruise experience, and most people choose a cruise based on the expected overall experience.

I don’t judge anybody that doesn’t care who the CD is... I get it. It obviously doesn’t introduce much variance in your overall experience. That’s perfectly fine.

But some cruise directors have added to OUR overall experience (admittedly most have not). In that regard, Tyler was fairly unique. We cruised with him only once, but everyone in our group had a better overall experience because of his contributions. We had a blast with him. I don’t care if you get that or not.

Comments like “I don’t understand the fascination...” are just stupid. I’ve never seen anybody post “I’m fascinated by who the cruise director is....”. People post all the time about their favorite bartender, favorite show, favorite specialty restaurant, favorite band, etc. Big freaking deal. People like things, and come to a public forum to talk about it.

Does anyone know when Tyler was let go? I was on the 1/6/18 cruise and noticed that he wasn't around or making announcements the last 1-2 days of that cruise but just assumed he was sick or had time off at the end of the week. It sucks that he apparently made some poor decision as he really was a great presence throughout the ship. I don't normally notice who the CD is but Tyler most definitely was memorable and fun.

Does anyone know when Tyler was let go? I was on the 1/6/18 cruise and noticed that he wasn't around or making announcements the last 1-2 days of that cruise but just assumed he was sick or had time off at the end of the week. It sucks that he apparently made some poor decision as he really was a great presence throughout the ship. I don't normally notice who the CD is but Tyler most definitely was memorable and fun.

Apparently that’s when it happened. And to be fair, very few people know exactly what happened. It could have been a sequence of unfortunate events vs. a clear-cut “poor decision”.

Message from a cruiser I have been in contact with - this weeks sailing is Dan Dan on the Escape.

Hoping he's not the long-term solution on Escape. Sailed with him on Breakaway and while his staff was fantastic, I was underwhelmed by Dan Dan. He seemed to be the hype-man type who rolled into the big events just long enough to be seen and make some introductions and then disappear again.

We had Scott on NCL. We thought he was great, a bit shy, but a good cruise director. On our first cruise several years ago (DCL), the cruise director was nowhere to be seen. It took us 4 cruises on DCL before we got a decent cruise director, Clayton, and wow what a difference to the cruise. Clayton gave the entire cruise a positive energy that really made the cruise extra special. Last summer on Carnival we had Matt, freaking unbelievable is all I can say. I am not sure what they are paying that guy but he earns it 10x over. He single-handedly spun that cruise into magic. So upbeat and funny yet sincere and serious. We were back on ship eating lunch when my son decided he wished he had bought a tshirt he saw in port. I am always game for an adventure, so with 15 min left before departure from the port DS and I decide to run off the ship and buy the tshirt. The store was right there by the ship. DH told us we were idiots but did not try to stop us, but... all the officers checking the long line of people back onto the ship told us in disbelief, "no, no, no, no." They had Indian accents that were cracking us up. Sorry, but they just were. Well, we turned around, giving up, and heard someone yell over the crowd of people boarding the ship, "what's going on?" It was Matt. We told him of our mercy mission and we said no big deal, but he was like, "go!" We were like really? "Yes, go, but if you are late, it's on you!!" I have not run that fast in forever. The people in the tshirt shop got us out of there in less than a minute. I suspect they've seen that rodeo before. Lol. And when we were running back to the ship, Matt was at the entrance to the ship cheering us on and the officers were high fiveing us. There actually were lots of other people still walking back to the ship and still boarding, but we ran anyway. Every time my son wears that tshirt it brings a smile to my face. Matt saw us boarding after another port later in the cruise and joked, "I hope you already have your tshirts!!"

We are not the kind of people who need extra attention or direction on how to have fun, but I agree that a great cruise director, like any individual in your life, can make a big difference!! Too bad we missed Tyler.

I too don't understand the fascination with who the cruise director is and even less so the captain or any other personnel who are on my cruise. Your example of water slides is false equivalence. Most of my experience is on Princess where I even heard people who picked their cruises based on not just the cruise director but some even the maitre d'. Seem strange to me. I have never had a bad cruise director in 9 cruises and only one crappy ill-tempered captain.

It is a bit creepy.