Dining experience.

Pendle Witch

Our experience on Scenic was that there was one sitting in the dining room and everyone was served with the same rhythm. Everyone ordered, then everyone served first course, then dishes picked up and everyone served second course and on and on. If that was the evening you just wanted say soup and dessert you would still sit through the entire dinner for dessert.

I feel I must stand up for those of us who are stampeding geezers. We were three who wanted to be seated at a table with a certain waiter who was very popular. I was the geezer chosen to stampede and save two other spaces at the table. This only started when we had been in other sections and had other wait staff.

I love dining on river cruises. You meet such interesting people. I never noticed excessive noise, but I am hard of hearing so maybe we were all shouting and it sounded normal to me.

We did one Vantage cruise in October '16. There was a second dining venue, but it was was never used for meals. I don't know whether that was unique to the ship, our cruise, or what?

Huh, we were on the Vantage River Voyager, Budapest to Bucharest, in September of 2016. It was open every night except for the Captain's dinner.

And I probably should have said above that they served a lot of grilled food, not just BBQ. All very tasty, along with the items from the buffet.

Edited by ural guy
clarity

I feel I must stand up for those of us who are stampeding geezers. We were three who wanted to be seated at a table with a certain waiter who was very popular. I was the geezer chosen to stampede and save two other spaces at the table. This only started when we had been in other sections and had other wait staff.

I love dining on river cruises. You meet such interesting people. I never noticed excessive noise, but I am hard of hearing so maybe we were all shouting and it sounded normal to me.

[emoji1]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Someone please let us know about your dining experience on Viking.

We’ve done three Viking river cruises (soon to be four :D) and have really enjoyed the dining experience onboard. Honestly, the dinner service coupled with enjoying the company of new friends is probably my favorite feature of river cruising.

I’d be happy to answer any specific questions you may have, so ask away!

Jeff

We’ve done three Viking river cruises (soon to be four :D) and have really enjoyed the dining experience onboard. Honestly, the dinner service coupled with enjoying the company of new friends is probably my favorite feature of river cruising.

I’d be happy to answer any specific questions you may have, so ask away!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I’m a little concerned about just me and my husband finding two seats amongst so many strangers how do you find a seat? Just walk up and say hi??

Thanks Jeff, I’m a little concerned about just me and my husband finding two seats amongst so many strangers how do you find a seat? Just walk up and say hi??

Yeah, pretty much :D

You can always pick an empty table and others will join you.

A quick story - my partner and I traveled alone on our first cruise on the Danube, and picked a table in the corner. A few moments later, a party of four joined us, and we spent the rest of the trip with the group, and had a ton of fun. We’ve kept in touch, and the married couple of the four have become good friends. They joined us in Bordeaux, came to our wedding last year and are joining us this year in Lyon for our next cruise! We’ve kept in touch with other couples we’ve met as well. It’s always a very fun group of people, and you’re going to have a great time!

Jeff

Yeah, pretty much :D

You can always pick an empty table and others will join you.

A quick story - my partner and I traveled alone on our first cruise on the Danube, and picked a table in the corner. A few moments later, a party of four joined us, and we spent the rest of the trip with the group, and had a ton of fun. We’ve kept in touch, and the married couple of the four have become good friends. They joined us in Bordeaux, came to our wedding last year and are joining us this year in Lyon for our next cruise! We’ve kept in touch with other couples we’ve met as well. It’s always a very fun group of people, and you’re going to have a great time!

Jeff

Congrats on your Wedding! I have so many questions...

Do you mind?

Sooooo where to begin.....

I’m Jane from S Fla. doing Amsterdam to Basel in July

Weather?

Did you do any thing other than the itinerary

Any tips?

Anything I shouldn’t miss?

Can you arrive to dinner late?

I’ve been on multiple ocean cruises never a river Cruise and my husband has never cruised?

Is it true that on Viking everyone who chooses to have dinner in the Restaurant must be seated at 7:00pm and everyone seated at the same table must order their meals at the same time?

Is there any flexibility as to when one must sit down for dinner?

What are the usual events leading up to dinner? I've been lead to believe the concierge or another ship's officer gives a short talk in the lounge regarding the next day's events shortly before the dinner hour. Is this true?

How limited is the dinner menu in the Aquavit Terrace and what are the serving hours?

Is it true that on Viking everyone who chooses to have dinner in the Restaurant must be seated at 7:00pm and everyone seated at the same table must order their meals at the same time?

What are the usual events leading up to dinner? I've been lead to believe the concierge or another ship's officer gives a short talk in the lounge regarding the next day's events shortly before the dinner hour. Is this true?

How limited is the dinner menu in the Aquavit Terrace and what are the serving hours?

Great questions!

Sooooo where to begin.....

I’m Jane from S Fla. doing Amsterdam to Basel in July

Weather?

Did you do any thing other than the itinerary

Any tips?

Anything I shouldn’t miss?

Can you arrive to dinner late?

I’ve been on multiple ocean cruises never a river Cruise and my husband has never cruised?

Hi Jane,

We had great weather on our Amsterdam to Basel cruise last year, which left Amsterdam on April 1st. The entire trip was mostly in the sixties temperature wise, and only a little rain in Amsterdam. Our afternoon cruise through the middle Rhine was postcard picture perfect.

We did the Top of Cologne optional excursion (tour through and on the roof of the Cologne Cathedral-highly recommended!) and the optional tour to the city of Colmar which I recommend as well.

Tips? I’d read through the entire 2017 Viking Rhine Cruise in the roll call section, which will give you a ton of tips. The 2015 and 2016 threads are good reading as well.

Shouldn’t miss? Do all of the daily excursions. Viking has this itinerary down pat - you’ll have a great time!

Arriving late to dinner? I think that it’s fine to come in a little later, but we’ve always simply joined the daily talks in the lounge, and dinner service follows naturally after. A few people may rush in to secure a specific table, but I’ve not really witnessed a mad dash that has been described. Volume levels are lively, but I don’t find it that loud.

Feel free to email me directly at jkingstl at gmail dot com should you want more details :) I love to chat about these cruises, so don’t hesitate to contact me!

Jeff

Greetings,

While most come to dinner at the same time, I’ve never seen anyone turned away for arriving later. I’m sure that they prefer that you come in at 7, but from our experience it isn’t that regimented. For example, last year in Cologne we arrived back at the boat (after the Top of Cologne excursion, probably 7:30-7:45) and we were served dinner just fine.

Each evening around 6-6:30 the program director (and sometimes others) will give a talk about the next days activities, and frequently the chef will discuss what is going to be served for dinner. After this, most head downstairs to the main dining room. While some passengers will “rush” to the dining room, I’ve never really thought much about it. If my group feels strongly about a particular server, one of us might go ahead and try to get a table in their section, but it’s never been a problem.

Regarding dinner at the Aquavit Terrace, we enjoy the main dining room so much we’ve not tried it, but I believe that you can now get most of the same dining options as well.

Enjoy!

Jeff

Hi Jane,

We had great weather on our Amsterdam to Basel cruise last year, which left Amsterdam on April 1st. The entire trip was mostly in the sixties temperature wise, and only a little rain in Amsterdam. Our afternoon cruise through the middle Rhine was postcard picture perfect.

We did the Top of Cologne optional excursion (tour through and on the roof of the Cologne Cathedral-highly recommended!) and the optional tour to the city of Colmar which I recommend as well.

Tips? I’d read through the entire 2017 Viking Rhine Cruise in the roll call section, which will give you a ton of tips. The 2015 and 2016 threads are good reading as well.

Shouldn’t miss? Do all of the daily excursions. Viking has this itinerary down pat - you’ll have a great time!

Arriving late to dinner? I think that it’s fine to come in a little later, but we’ve always simply joined the daily talks in the lounge, and dinner service follows naturally after. A few people may rush in to secure a specific table, but I’ve not really witnessed a mad dash that has been described. Volume levels are lively, but I don’t find it that loud.

Feel free to email me directly at jkingstl at gmail dot com should you want more details :) I love to chat about these cruises, so don’t hesitate to contact me!

Jeff

Thank you I will!